• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army Logistics to Navy SWO

Coolace27

Good morning all,

As the title suggests, I’m an Army O2 on the verge of switching over to SWO as a jg. Just waiting for final approval from the SECNAV at which point I’ll be put in contact with a detailer to discuss where I’ll be going.

I’m tracking I’ll need to go to school, should I anticipate going there first then a ship or vice versa? Obviously I’m not NROTC, OCS, or Naval Academy so I’m not sure where I would fall in as far a prioritization with course dates.

Also, will I be able to select from what’s available?(less a carrier or sub)

thanks for you time.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Good morning all,

As the title suggests, I’m an Army O2 on the verge of switching over to SWO as a jg. Just waiting for final approval from the SECNAV at which point I’ll be put in contact with a detailer to discuss where I’ll be going.

I’m tracking I’ll need to go to school, should I anticipate going there first then a ship or vice versa? Obviously I’m not NROTC, OCS, or Naval Academy so I’m not sure where I would fall in as far a prioritization with course dates.

Also, will I be able to select from what’s available?(less a carrier or sub)

thanks for you time.

You will ship to BDOC depending upon your transition timing and ship's schedule. You're in a very unique position since you are coming in as a JG. Has anyone told you what the expectation is for getting your SWO pin? Usually that would hold you up from being promoted or detailed as a normal NROTC/USNA/OCS accession.

I'm not sure how ship selection will work for you. It's very likely you won't have much available since this is the time frame PERS-41 starts setting billets aside for Academy and NROTC ship selection. Are you being billeted for first or second tour DIVO jobs? Subs are manned by submarine officers which is a different designator.

Coolace27

You will ship to BDOC depending upon your transition timing and ship's schedule. You're in a very unique position since you are coming in as a JG. Has anyone told you what the expectation is for getting your SWO pin? Usually that would hold you up from being promoted or detailed as a normal NROTC/USNA/OCS accession.

I'm not sure how ship selection will work for you. It's very likely you won't have much available since this is the time frame PERS-41 starts setting billets aside for Academy and NROTC ship selection. Are you being billeted for first or second tour DIVO jobs? Subs are manned by submarine officers which is a different designator.

No. I asked the OCM if I would be behind the curve as far as my SWO pin since I would be coming in as a jg but he didn’t seem to think so. I’m also the first interservice transfer request he’s had to deal with though. My understanding was that how I will be billeted would be discussed with the detailer which would happen once my paperwork was signed and I signed my new oath of office. I attached my letter of acceptance from the OCM which is the most I have as far as the transition.

My last day of obligated service to the Army is 8 March and I requested to “walk over” to the Navy 9 March so there’s no break in service. Evidently the only thing holding it up according to my POC at BUPERS is that final signature. The proverbial desk with a stacked inbox and my stuff at the bottom of the stack.

haubby

None
Contributor
Your post Divo shore tour will be shortened or gone entirely to get you back on timeline with your YG. There is a 1st tour Division Officer on my ship who is a LT (got to the ship as a LTJG) He was in the reserves as a SSO who sailed in the MSC and decided to go SWO. He will probably go straight to DH school right after his 2nd Divo tour. You are looking at alot of sea time... Just know that prior to going into the Navy to manage expectations that you will have little time between your Division Officer and Department Head rides.

Coolace27

Your post Divo shore tour will be shortened or gone entirely to get you back on timeline with your YG. There is a 1st tour Division Officer on my ship who is a LT (got to the ship as a LTJG) He was in the reserves as a SSO who sailed in the MSC and decided to go SWO. He will probably go straight to DH school right after his 2nd Divo tour. You are looking at alot of sea time... Just know that prior to going into the Navy to manage expectations that you will have little time between your Division Officer and Department Head rides.
Appreciate it. Are DIVO and DH rides on the same ship? I would think not. Seems somewhat similar to how it's done in the Army were newly promoted conventional O3s leave their first command and go to what's called "Captains Career Course" then go to an entirely different command to be in charge of a company as part of their command tour.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Appreciate it. Are DIVO and DH rides on the same ship? I would think not. Seems somewhat similar to how it's done in the Army were newly promoted conventional O3s leave their first command and go to what's called "Captains Career Course" then go to an entirely different command to be in charge of a company as part of their command tour.

Not usually. I know a few people who managed to finagle a second DH tour on one of the ships they served on as a Divo but it's rare. It's far more likely that you will end up on different ships for your Divo tours and DH tours. That being said, you could end up fleeting up on the same ship between your first and second Divo tours (which would also cut your Divo sea time short) and then get a DH tour that fleeted up on the same ship. Examples of this would be Weapons Officer on a DDG fleeting up to the Combat Systems Officer job. You'll learn about all of this at BDOC and on your first ship.

Coolace27

Not usually. I know a few people who managed to finagle a second DH tour on one of the ships they served on as a Divo but it's rare. It's far more likely that you will end up on different ships for your Divo tours and DH tours. That being said, you could end up fleeting up on the same ship between your first and second Divo tours (which would also cut your Divo sea time short) and then get a DH tour that fleeted up on the same ship. Examples of this would be Weapons Officer on a DDG fleeting up to the Combat Systems Officer job. You'll learn about all of this at BDOC and on your first ship.
I'm definitely eager to go and learn once it's made official. Are class dates for BDOC published?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I'm definitely eager to go and learn once it's made official. Are class dates for BDOC published?

Not that I'm aware of. It'll be in your orders since the school quotas are managed by the detailers. You'll likely end up going to the ship first and then heading to BDOC when there's a large enough group such as after NROTC graduations in May. I'd worry more about getting orders in hand and figuring out where you're headed next, where you'll live, and what you're going to be doing as a job than when training may or may not be and what your DH rides will look like. You'll have plenty of time to have your fellow JOs and the Chief's mess square you away while your CO/XO worry about the timeline to get your qualified.

Coolace27

Not that I'm aware of. It'll be in your orders since the school quotas are managed by the detailers. You'll likely end up going to the ship first and then heading to BDOC when there's a large enough group such as after NROTC graduations in May. I'd worry more about getting orders in hand and figuring out where you're headed next, where you'll live, and what you're going to be doing as a job than when training may or may not be and what your DH rides will look like. You'll have plenty of time to have your fellow JOs and the Chief's mess square you away while your CO/XO worry about the timeline to get your qualified.
Will do. Thanks for the insight.