• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army aviator to Navy aviator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bajastylee

Alright my question. How easy or hard would it be to become a Naval Aviator after being a WO rotary pilot in the Army. Also how hard would it be to go to Hornets with that much Helo experience. Oh and would 4 years in the infantry 1 in Afghanstan help at all.

I ask because that is what I'm seriously considering doing. And I'm currently in the Infantry in Afghanistan. WOFT will most likely be for me in January 06.

Thanks,
Bajastylee

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've known 3 1LTs who transitioned to the USN after being dissatisfied with the amount of flight time they, as commissioned officers, were getting flying helos for the Army. WO's would have to apply for OCS and complete all the regular applications in order to become a commissioned officer in the Navy. There is no direct-transfer for Army WOs like there is for COs. Additionally, if you were still under contract to the Army, you would have to convince them to release you and let you out of your commitment to go to Navy OCS. Keep in mind you must already have a 4 year degree.

If and when all of that happened, your previous life doesn't really matter. You may be put on an accelerated syllabus in Primary Flight Training since you already have the monkey skills and basic instrument ability from helos. Beyond that, you will be graded and evaluated according to your ability. Your grades will be applied to the standard Navy selection process and depending on the needs of the Navy, you may or may not go on to fly the aircraft of your choice.

bobbyrock? you out there? thoughts?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know the process but I know it has been done. Two former WO's were in API the same time I was, one Apache and one Kiowa driver. Both wanted jets and that was their reason for switching. Never knew what happened to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.