• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army Aviator to Naval Aviator?

JangoBoy

I wanted to ask if its possible to transition from being a commisioned Army Aviator (15A) to a Naval Aviator. If its possible, I would assume you have to finish your ADSO for the Army before transitioning unless you can get a release form. Thanks for any help or advice!

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep.

JangoBoy

Yep.
Thats awesome! Do you know by chance what that process looks like exactly?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I have no info on active Army to active Navy, but if you wanted to go active Army to Navy reserve you'd have to apply to the respective reserve application board. They happen once or twice a year and you could either call the squadron's directly or go through the reserve Wings to get some gouge on upcoming boards.

The couple of guys I know who did the switch had finished their Army winging committment and then switched over. I believe all of them ended up having some time between leaving the Army and getting their Navy paperwork squared away and comissioned into the Navy.

JangoBoy

Thanks a ton! In the document it said, "All officers of other uniformed services are eligible to transfer to the Navy or Marine Corps except those who: Are in competitive categories that do not comport to the authorized strength limitations of the Navy or Marine Corps or Are inactive-duty Reservists with a remaining Military Service Obligation."

Are you able to clarify what these mean exactly? Especially the first caveat.

exNavyOffRec

I wanted to ask if its possible to transition from being a commisioned Army Aviator (15A) to a Naval Aviator. If its possible, I would assume you have to finish your ADSO for the Army before transitioning unless you can get a release form. Thanks for any help or advice!
You should call the aviation officer community manager, he or she can tell you for your YG if there will be any spots available if known at this point. There have been a few people that have done it but it is a rare thing.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Thanks a ton! In the document it said, "All officers of other uniformed services are eligible to transfer to the Navy or Marine Corps except those who: Are in competitive categories that do not comport to the authorized strength limitations of the Navy or Marine Corps or Are inactive-duty Reservists with a remaining Military Service Obligation."

Are you able to clarify what these mean exactly? Especially the first caveat.
It means you have to do a job that the Navy needs. If you were a tank driver the Navy wouldn’t consider you, as a pilot they will.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It means you have to do a job that the Navy needs. If you were a tank driver the Navy wouldn’t consider you, as a pilot they will.

I believe it also means that you have dropped your letter. If you're still under a commitment or contract, then you're considered part of the end-strength. But if you've given notice, you no longer are "comport" to end-strength goals since you won't be there next year.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep.

I'm pretty sure at least two of those guys were in API at the same time I was, kind of hard to miss some guys running around with Army wings, and the Skipper has had the same luck at hair retention as I have had.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
We had an Army Warrant convert over to an HT instructor when I was SEL-RES. He received a commission and was and Ensign instructing other Ensigns and LTJG's. He was solid.

sickboy

pilot
We had an Army Warrant convert over to an HT instructor when I was SEL-RES. He received a commission and was and Ensign instructing other Ensigns and LTJG's. He was solid.
I remember that guy. Don’t think I ever flew with him though.

I never asked, but rumor is that CAG-5 a few years ago had army helo time.