• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Armstrong Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mueller

I have been doing the Armstrong Program for two weeks now. I was wondering how close to my next PFT should I do the routine. Should I continue until the day of, or leave a day or two in between my last pull routine and the day of PFT? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Augustus

On the day before the test. I relax and do one max. On the day of the test, I do something in the range of 5 -10.
However each person's body is different.

Mueller

Well I haven't done a PFT since I started. Day one has you do five max sets but I generally don't count how many pull-ups I do in thoughs set (numbers can be depressing). The PFT before I started, I was at 18 pull-ups. I'm sure it's helping me though because I don't get nearly as tired at the end of a typical set. I'm able to keep going. So I think it's well worth it especially if you're at a low score. I expect to easily hit 20 (if not already) when I do my last PFT before the April board meeting.

Mean_Dino

I've been doing the armstrong for abou 6 weeks now and have jumped from doing 8 pull ups to 14. I generally get 1 more pull up every week. Stick with the program and you will see improvements.

pyrator

lol well i started out with 3 ( i know i know ). I am up to 5 soon hopefully 7 by next week. etc...

NickPollock19

Prospective Candidate for OCS
For me, i leave an entire day before i do my pull ups, some times even 2 for the test (but i still run and do situps the day before the test) i personally find it easier to get 20 pull ups + with fresh arms like that, but then again, everyone is different.

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
Mueller said:
Should I continue until the day of, or leave a day or two in between my last pull routine and the day of PFT?

I would wait a day or two. I can't think of any benefits of doing pullups the day of your PFT.

pyrator said:
how much has this program improved your pullups? I just started this program today.

I'm starting my 5th week of the program. I began with 7 and am now doing 14.

Midshipmanjosh

I never did the armstrong work out. But the workout below is what i made up and i went from about 18 to 22 pullsup in about 4 weeks. I only did this about every other day too...I also mixed up my grips. I usually used the close grips (over and under hand) for the lower reps and the wide grips (over and under hand) for the higher reps.

warm up --- 5-10
max set

Give your self a decent break so that your arms can recover a little, and then crank another max set.

This is just what i have found to work for me. I have a really hard time doing max sets in pushups for some reason. But i found it easier to burn out using the pyramid method. This is also the same method that i used to go from 12 to 18 in about 5 weeks too.

For me, my max is around 20+ right now, so i end up doing about 90+ pullups if i do the entire workout.

pyrator

well my three weeks has been, week one 3 , week two 5 week three 8, now i am on week 4 so i am increasing using this program ( hopefully i will get 10 this friday )

TransAmatt

I started the Armstrong program 4 weeks ago after a PFT where I did 12 pullups. I took a PFT today and got 18, with one not counting because I did not come to a dead hang. I took my two days off, did one max set two days before the PFT, and took the day off before the PFT. Good luck with the program, I still can't believe how much I've improved in a month.

Matt

KBayDog

Not bashing Armstrong in particular (I think it is a good program), but I think you'd have great results using ANY program that gets you doing pullups regularly. I was having trouble getting over the 18 pullup plateau a number of years ago, and someone advised me to do eight pullups every time I passed the pullup bar outside of my shop (~10 times a day). Eight didn't seem like a lot of pullups to do, but doing them regularly somehow made 20+ an easy day.

The important thing is to find (or develop - as josh did) a program that you can and will do regularly. Armstrong is popular because it is already developed, and adds variety into the routine. Do not be afraid to experiment with it, tweak it, etc. to find out what works for you.

Another thing I do to mentally prepare myself for a PFT is set my goal for each PFT for something like 25 pullups, 120 crunches, and a 17:00 run. I have found that if I train/shoot for more than the max, if I fall short, I have still maxed.

Status
Not open for further replies.