• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are you using Ergogenics AKA Supplements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

megan620

EA-6B ECMO/IA Wife
I couldn't help but reply to this topic because I have my undergraduate degree in Nutrition Science with an emphasis in sports nutrition (magna cum laude. Basically, other than a good multivitamin (like Centrum, OneADay, etc) and a healthy diet, a good attitude and a fitness plan (cardio and weight training) is all you NEED to be healthy (unless you have a medical condition or are a vegetarian).

It is good to remember that supplements are NOT regulated by the FDA, so what they say is in the supplement does not necessarily mean that is what is in there. I wouldnt say all supplement labels lie, but its just a good thing to remember. Also, there is such a thing as too much of a nutrient. Without going into too much detail, all nutrients interact with each other, and you can get vitamin toxicity with too high of dosage (this is bad), or if it isnt a toxic level, it could inhibit your body's ability to absorb other nutrients. For example, Calcium inhibits the absorption of Iron, but Vitamin C enhances the absorption of Iron, etc. Its very trick to figure out what your body is really getting if you go supplement crazy. I forget the exact number, but in one Journal of the American Dietetic Association issue I read a few years ago, there was a statistic that said the amount of money most americans lost in their urine. Literally, with over supplementation you piss away your money, because what supplements the body can't absorb (it's reached saturated levels), you excrete in your urine. And over long periods of time, this can cause havoc on your kidneys!

My point here is: Talk to your doctor or a dietician if you really feel like you need some supplementation. Or at least read up (from reputable sources like peer-reviewed Journals) on anything you put into your body. Its ALWAYS better safe than sorry when it comes to your health.

Also, I've been told that even multivitamins are considered contraband at OCS, and so is any medicine. If you think you'll really need it and you are taking your car, leave it in there and you can get it when you're allowed to make vehicle runs.

I hope this helped! Good luck with everything!
Megan

Lewisinhk

shin splints can be quite painful sometimes and an aspirin or ibuprofen really helps when needed, i was just wondering if they have any there or can you bring any.
Matt

ghost_ttu

If you currently have shin splints then rest and stop working out and let them heal. If you go to OCS in good shape (ie. you are running 3 or 4 times a week) then the probability of getting shin splints will be considerably low.

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
Hmmm, I don't know. Last year, I ran 4 to 6 times a week varying from 3-5 miles and still got shin splints at OCS. In fact, I've been training to go back to PLC Sr's this summer and have developed a case again. I've rested for a week and a half, while easing back into regular running and it appears to be working. Shin splints seem to be somewhat of a mystery to me. Oh, and by the way, don't even think about having any pills of any type in your posession or on your person at OCS. That'll get you booted quick. Usually the corpsman can hook you up, otherwise you'd better become a master of concealment. Besides, you'll be tired at OCS and the pain will help keep you awake.

Frog

megan620

EA-6B ECMO/IA Wife
Shin splints are one of life's big pain in the asses! I am in school getting my Master's in Physical Therapy (but I've only been in PT school for 6 months though, so I still have tons to learn!) From what I've learned, rest, proper footwear, anti-inflammatories, and IMMEDIATELY icing down your shins after a run can help ease the pain of shin splints. Icing after a long run everytime (20-45 minutes with a crushed ice pack on the shins directly molded or with a wet washcloth in between the skin and ice pack)can help to prevent the development of shin splints if you dont have them yet(when you arent at OCS, obviously). Also, stretching the muscles really well before and after any running can help. The bad thing is once you've gotten shin splints (even if you're lucky enough to get rid of them) they seem to keep coming back easier and easier. That is wear proper footwear is critical. If you can, go to a shoe specialty store (like in the mall, or if possible a specialty runner's store) and they can tell you what type of shoes are best for your own foot structure. You can also have custom running shoes, made espcially for you from your own foot molds, if you find a specialty running shop. It costs a bit extra, but if you have the cash....WOW the difference is worth it (at least to me!). I hope that helps for those of you not at OCS!
Megan

kimphil

I must warn you, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

That said, you are not going to be able to use any of this stuff at OCS so why bother? If you get caught with so much as a bottle of aspirin, I believe it's an honor violation and can get you kicked out. If you can't get it from the corpsmen at OCS, think twice about doing it now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What would Jesus drive?"

Duh. A truck -- Jesus was a carpenter.

airwinger

pilot
As far as motrin(vitamin M) goes, we actually had a motrin candidate whom the corpsman dumped motrin on, and whom we say after reveille for our "fix". We also had guys stash all kinds of stuff in their lockers(from dip to candy to cough syrup) but if you're caught you're out.
semper fi

megan620

EA-6B ECMO/IA Wife
I have heard that sometimes the female OCs stash things in their feminine products boxes because the male DIs dont check those...so it may pay to be friendly to the girls......but again, with everything, there's a risk of getting caught...but just something to keep in mind in a crunch.

kimphil

Originally posted by megan620
I have heard that sometimes the female OCs stash things in their feminine products boxes because the male DIs dont check those...so it may pay to be friendly to the girls......but again, with everything, there's a risk of getting caught...but just something to keep in mind in a crunch.

BTW, I don't know what I'm talking about. Now that's out of the way, this doesn't apply to USMC OCS since female candidates have female DI's.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What would Jesus drive?"

Duh. A truck -- Jesus was a carpenter.

megan620

EA-6B ECMO/IA Wife
Good point Kimphil....all I have heard is what my boyfriend, who is in class 15-03 Navy OCS has told me and what others on here have shared as well. There is a female DI for the Navy OCS as well, but I guess she hasnt started with the feminine box inspections as of yet! Thanks for the updated gouge and sorry if I got anyone confused!
Megan

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
I don't know how it works at Navy OCS, but save yourself the trouble and avoid talking to the opposite sex at USMC OCS. I witnessed candidates getting fired from leadership positions on the spot for this. It's not even worth the trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.