• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

are these scores competitive

josephgreen

stars and bars
I just took the ASTB for the first time and scored 5/5/4, 56
I am submitting a package for the CWO pilot test program due on Mar 31st.
I still have time to retake the test , but I really dont want to score lower than I have here, I know these scores arent as high as they should, I would perfer atleast 7's. The minimum scores for the program are 4/5. What do you think? Should I re-test?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
josephgreen said:
I just took the ASTB for the first time and scored 5/5/4, 56
I am submitting a package for the CWO pilot test program due on Mar 31st.
I still have time to retake the test , but I really dont want to score lower than I have here, I know these scores arent as high as they should, I would perfer atleast 7's. The minimum scores for the program are 4/5. What do you think? Should I re-test?
I don't know how to answer your question, but do please keep us all posted on this. I think a lot of members are curious to see how this test program works out.

josephgreen

stars and bars
I will keep everyone posted. I am currently active duty , CTT1(SW) , been in for a little over six years now. I really would love to fly SH-60's, as a prior EW, I have worked with them before. I would give anything to get a commision. The test was hard for me, only studied for about a week. I jsut wanted to see how well I would do on the test , so I would have enough time to take it again. The NAVADM message came out in Jan and the package is due Mar 31st. Not a lot of time to get everything together. I have a two star admiral writing my recommendation and my evals are superb. keeping my fingers crossed .

Wingnut

Kill your television
There has been plenty of discussion of 'competitive vs non-competitive' scores here, and what it really boils down to is your strengths. Someone like me needs good scores because I don't have a strong leadership or sports background. What I do have is a good academics, and that combined with my high scores may be enough to set me apart. If you feel you're relatively strong in other areas, then don't sweat the scores too much. If you do have time to study (lots of resources for that here), and are confident that you'll do better, then it might be a good idea. The problem, of course, is the possibility of a mulligan, and probably only you know whether that's much of a possibility. There are people who get in on near-minimal scores, while at the same time pilot slots are always competative. I may be giving a bit of a non-answer here, but I guess I'm trying to tell you that higher scores are always nice, but don't think you have to retake it just to have a chance. Heck, I'd probably trade some of my score for a letter from an admiral if such were possible, but the fact is that we're in different boats (or something, I'm actually pretty landlocked at the moment).

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Well, as with most things in Naval aviation, it all comes down to timing. When I applied to the Navy's program, I had 8s across, two O-6 parents, and a 3.9 at a top 20 university (with over 100 hours). They'll evaluate your package and give you a response based on the needs of the service. In terms of airframe... good luck. My advice is to continuosly work on improving your package. Don't accept no for an answer, and never give up. I was dead set on the Navy, and ended up in the USMC. It fit for me, and either way I'll end up doing something that I enjoy. Listen to the senior guys on the forum, both aviators and otherwise...you'll be okay.
Scott

KBayDog

josephgreen said:
I will keep everyone posted. I am currently active duty , CTT1(SW) , been in for a little over six years now. I really would love to fly SH-60's, as a prior EW, I have worked with them before. I would give anything to get a commision. The test was hard for me, only studied for about a week. I jsut wanted to see how well I would do on the test , so I would have enough time to take it again. The NAVADM message came out in Jan and the package is due Mar 31st. Not a lot of time to get everything together. I have a two star admiral writing my recommendation and my evals are superb. keeping my fingers crossed .

C orrect me if I am wrong, but for this program you are competing against other enlisted Sailors, not the general "pool" of aviation candidates, right? It seems that your situation is a little different than Joe College Applicant. You have something the average college applicant does not have - a proven track record of performance in the Navy. (Though I don't know you, nor do I know a whole lot about Navy administration, making E-6 in ~six years gives the impression that you are doing something right.) The Navy doesn't know the regular college kid as well as it "knows" you, so test scores are more of an issue with them.

You may not have the 10/10/10 99 4.1 GPA-type scores that some applicants have (though higher scores never hurt), but the Navy will look to see if you have been a quality Sailor and are worthy of the increased responsibility of being a WO and an aviator.

Ex Rigger

pilot
Just on a side note......why are you interested in this and not a commission as an unrestricted line officer and Naval Aviator? The career track for this program seems kinda crummy for the continuation of a career in the Navy.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Joseph,

I think like everyone else is saying, right now it's hard to say. I would also reccomend looking into STA-21, especially if you have any college under your belt. Awesome program that can't be beat. If you were going for STA-21 I would absolutely reccomend retesting after a month of studying and prepping for it. You probably don't have that kind of time right now. I haven't looked at the requirements for the CWO program, but I would be willing to bet that CO rec and interviews are going to weigh more than the ASTB will. Those along with your past evals (how many are they requiring, 5?), positions held and such. This is pure speculation, so take it for what it's worth.

In two applications for the STA-21 program few things changed, ASTB scores was one, who did my interviews were another (aviators on the second round, swos on the first attempt). The only reason I even mention that is because I applied for the pilot option and one of the things reccomended from board notes was to have the desired community represented in the interviews. If you can I would try to get aviators on your interview board for this as well.

Just my two cents

josephgreen

stars and bars
I am putting a package together for STA-21 , but that isn't due until July. I would love to fly helo's the rest of my career. STA-21 was my first choice of a commisioning program, IW or SWO. When i read the navadm on the CWO pilot program , it motivated me to go for it. I have thought about going pilot through STA-21 but it would be easier to get a commision in my own area of expertise ..Cryptologic. I have really great evals.. EP's, NAM, Navy COM, so i think my record would be hard to beat... I still have time to take the ASTB again before the CWO package is due. If I do not get picked up for CWO , I will definately apply for STA-21, if that doesn't work out, then I always have LDO at my eight year mark, but I would rather fly SH-60's. The CWO program is targeted towards E-5, E-6 , and E-7. So my case is a little different than applying for OCS. I wished i knew if my current ASTB scores are good enough. I work at NORAD, and there are a couple of AF pilots and one naval aviator here that will sit my interview board, so I have that going for me. I really appreciate everyone responding to my post... man I love this place, lots of useful info. thanks again

josephgreen

stars and bars
Ex Rigger said:
Just on a side note......why are you interested in this and not a commission as an unrestricted line officer and Naval Aviator? The career track for this program seems kinda crummy for the continuation of a career in the Navy.

I think with this program, I would be flying all the time... not bad. Retirement pay for a W-4 isn't to shabby either. I am just looking to do more than being an LPO or Cheif. Not that those jobs are bad, I want more resposibility. But i understand your point.

TheFlyingMNM

Joseph,

I would take the ASTB again. Everyone has given you their great advice here...but it boils down to what you want. And right now, it seems like you are a little hesitant with your current ASTB scores. I'm sure you know you can do better, so why settle for less? I got a 6/7/8 and 54 or 56 which isn't stellar but helped me get my SNA spot. Average is a 6, and with 5s and a 4, you're a little under par.

I unfortunately just had a PRB in API (but am on the right track now) and they look at your ASTB scores, namely the first 2 numbers - which are the ones that count. My 6 was average and my 7 was abover average. Hopefully you won't get in a sticky situation as I got myself in, but it helps to have "better than the last guy" scores, as the officers mentioned in the PRB.

And on one last note, I took the test end of my junior year...not having studied. Got like 4s and a 3 maybe...? Did very poorly - obvi. Had the summer to study from those ASTB Study Guide type books and practice spatial perception (my former weakness). Improved the second time to say the least. You too have the advantage of having seen the style of the test and can now go back and kick ass. Take the time to perfect where you were weak and you'll reap from the benefits.

You can do it. You know it and we all do.

ATB,
Marissa

josephgreen

stars and bars
Boricua Eagle said:
Joseph,

I would take the ASTB again. Everyone has given you their great advice here...but it boils down to what you want. And right now, it seems like you are a little hesitant with your current ASTB scores. I'm sure you know you can do better, so why settle for less? I got a 6/7/8 and 54 or 56 which isn't stellar but helped me get my SNA spot. Average is a 6, and with 5s and a 4, you're a little under par.

I unfortunately just had a PRB in API (but am on the right track now) and they look at your ASTB scores, namely the first 2 numbers - which are the ones that count. My 6 was average and my 7 was abover average. Hopefully you won't get in a sticky situation as I got myself in, but it helps to have "better than the last guy" scores, as the officers mentioned in the PRB.

And on one last note, I took the test end of my junior year...not having studied. Got like 4s and a 3 maybe...? Did very poorly - obvi. Had the summer to study from those ASTB Study Guide type books and practice spatial perception (my former weakness). Improved the second time to say the least. You too have the advantage of having seen the style of the test and can now go back and kick ass. Take the time to perfect where you were weak and you'll reap from the benefits.

You can do it. You know it and we all do.

ATB,
Marissa

thankyou so much for the advice.. I think I will give the ASTB another shot..I will let you know how much I improve!!, thanks again

Ex Rigger

pilot
It would be prudent to talk to one of the CWO/LDO NFOs selected 5 years or so ago from the now defunct program where they took senior AWs and sent em' to Pensacola for their wings.

I'm good friends with a couple, and while they may be the minority, they got their one good sea)flying) tour and are now sentenced to an eternity of non-flying jobs far from the aviation community. Kudos to BUPERs for spelling that out in the message release. At least applicants have been forewarned.

In all honesty, the Army Warrant system (sort-of) works simply because it's had 50 years to smooth out the process. Some aspects are still ludicrous, but it's common law now.

I sincerely see Navy Warrant Pilots getting a good sea-tour and forever after being detailed to non-flying billets that are the scourge of URL progression.

I also see some interesting cockpit dynamics. It would be a different if the incoming CWOs were high-time pilots bringing with them some credibility. However, they'll be nuggets, as well as being junior in the Navy and aviation.
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?p=197147#post197147

What Stearmann said in this post is what I was referring to. My advice for this program is just to make sure it is really what you want and not "just a commission" because its a big change and not really reversible. This WO program is not the Army's where they have WO's who are always in flying billets.

SAR522

In my opinion, unless you are 100% sure that you can score higher, don't risk the retake. If you retake the test and end up scoring lower, then you will not have enough time to retest again with the March 31st deadline. The boards are definitely looking at the overall package, not just your ASTB scores. I was in a similar situation last year with my STA-21 package and I decided to not retest. I ended up getting selected for the pilot option with just the minimums (4/5). So if you feel the rest of your package is strong, then I would just submit the scores that you got.