• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Appointment

vanity

Zoomie
I recently got my appointment to the academy, but its not the academy your thinking about, it's the Air Force Academy. I thought I'd post here to see if anyone who went through the Naval academy had any advice. I'm assuming the lifestyles are pretty similar. Thanks for any advice and no bashing the Chair Force Academy :icon_tong

P.S Can't edit my title, o well

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I can't speak for Air Force, but I will say

GO NAVY! BEAT AIR FORCE!

Good luck. :)

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I actually went to both the Air Force Academy and the Naval Academy. The best advice I can give you is that it is all mental and you need to play the game. It's been a few years, but when I was at USAFA they really tried to scare the sh!t out of you the first couple of days. PM me if you want with any questions.

rjack14

F/A-18F WSO (FRS)
None
If you want to be a ring knocker then play the game. If you want to learn to be a good leader and therefore a good officer then control the game. If you go through just playing the game then your not going to get much out of it, you will just learn how to be a yes man. Too bad I haven't seen anyone on here that is a company officer, would like their point of view instead of just having the midshipmen point of view. The academies are changing so much that its hard to give advice about them even after only graduating 2 yrs ago.

This is just a view coming from a prior e-dog that went through the boat school.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Let me clarify on why I said to play the game. What I meant was: realize that (most of the time) your detailers (cadre in his case) do not REALLY hate you as much as they want you to think, many things that go on during your first year are not representative of the Air Force or the Academy as a whole. I have some very good friends now that were real *******s to me during plebe summer, you just have to realize that it is their JOB to be *******s to you. Being a real stand up guy does not mean kissing ass. If you are always putting out 110% that will be noticed. If you struggle with push ups but never give up, that will be noticed. There were times at USAFA where they were just trying to break you and cause you to give up. Knowing that giving your all is really the point of the exercise will get you ahead. I went through USAFA's version of plebe summer, then NAPS indoc, then USNA plebe summer. I can honestly say I had a really good time at USNA's plebe summer. I knew the routine and I knew when to take things seriously.

You will begin to build your reputation as soon as you get there. If you want to be a leader among leaders this is the time to show it. Garner respect from your classmates and the command will notice.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I wouldn't take rjack's advice if I were you. He's what we like to refer to as a "liberty risk". Plus, he's a punk.

Back on track, however, I have somewhat cynical view of USNA and my time there. I can't help it. I know some damn fine people who were chewed up and spat out by the system there, and I know some first-rate dirtbags who slid by. I also know people who I would follow without hesitation and trust with my life, and they checked all the boxes, dotted all their I's while at USNA. I think it relies not so much on where (commissioning source) you come from, as it does on whether or not you are a quality individual to begin with. True, some people start off down the right path and get led astray in various ways and degrees, but most wind up finding their way back...eventually.

It's been said before that the Academy's philosophies on teaching leadership is to show people exactly what NOT to do, but that's not necessarily true all the time. I'm certain you'll hear it while in Colorado Springs, just as they tell people at USNA: Take other people's styles of leadership, examine them, and place them in the 'Good' or 'Bad' piles. That's how you begin to learn leadership. If something pisses you off, write it down for reexamination later on, and you might be surprised. If you still think it sucks, then keep it in the 'Bad' pile for a while longer. Don't forget about it, though, as it might be useful down the road.

And I hear tell that this is an indispensible resource to survive USAFA: www.edodo.org .

rjack14

F/A-18F WSO (FRS)
None
Didn't know you knew that many words. Finally learned how to read a dictionary? Where do they have you stuck now anyways?

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Best advice I can give you for plebe summer is take it one day at a time. When you're in the front-leaning rest for what seems like hours on end because "someone" was late or left their desk drawer open, just remember that nothing lasts forever. Even the detailers have rules on what they can do to you and for how long, although it may not seem like it during the summer.

Oh yeah, and don't download music, unless you want to spend your spring break on restriction like your's truly. :) (Yeah, that was fun not going to Jamaica like originally planned.) Seriously, PM me if you have any questions or want to hear more stories about USNA, or things to do in Annapolis, Baltimore or D.C.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Laugh as much as you can. At yourself and the obsurdity of certain situations. Just don't let anyone see you laugh... Its what your detailers are doing when you are not around.