• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to Pilot/NFO board HELP

Marsh

Hi all,

I am applying to the Pilot/NFO board with a preference in Pilot first. After a long time of thinking, I finally decided this week on this career choice. I know there is a deadline of DEC 11 for submitting my package for January board. I have a meeting Tuesday for 2 hours of paperwork my recruiter said. Would it be possible to submit by this deadline if I am adamant with my paperwork and push as fast as I can? I know I will have MEPS, ASTB (I have been studying recently), etc that I will have to get through.

Also, I was hoping to get some feedback on what scores are like nowadays and if I could be competitive.
  • I am majoring in Mechanical Engineering with a 3.95 GPA also have a Minor in Engineering Leadership
  • Extra curriculars in high school if that matters at all (Football, Track (captain), Basketball, SGA)
  • I am hoping to receive a LOR from my leadership professor, football coach, SGA advisor, O-4 Navy Pilot (Old neighbor), or possibly a long time family friend (Retired E-9). Should I try to get these from all or would certain ones have better weight?
  • What ASTB scores should I shoot for to be very competitive with this package?
any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated!!!

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Welcome to the site! First off, no need to post the same thing in multiple threads. I left this one open for any answers you might get. I can’t speak to the deadline issue, but search around the forums for an answer to your “what are my chances question.” It’s a pretty commonly asked topic. Good luck!

exNavyOffRec

Hi all,

I am applying to the Pilot/NFO board with a preference in Pilot first. After a long time of thinking, I finally decided this week on this career choice. I know there is a deadline of DEC 11 for submitting my package for January board. I have a meeting Tuesday for 2 hours of paperwork my recruiter said. Would it be possible to submit by this deadline if I am adamant with my paperwork and push as fast as I can? I know I will have MEPS, ASTB (I have been studying recently), etc that I will have to get through.

Also, I was hoping to get some feedback on what scores are like nowadays and if I could be competitive.
  • I am majoring in Mechanical Engineering with a 3.95 GPA also have a Minor in Engineering Leadership
  • Extra curriculars in high school if that matters at all (Football, Track (captain), Basketball, SGA)
  • I am hoping to receive a LOR from my leadership professor, football coach, SGA advisor, O-4 Navy Pilot (Old neighbor), or possibly a long time family friend (Retired E-9). Should I try to get these from all or would certain ones have better weight?
  • What ASTB scores should I shoot for to be very competitive with this package?
any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated!!!

If you will not be happy with SNFO don't put it down as your second choice, too many times people put both get picked SNFO and says "how can I get SNA, can I switch, etc....."

here is what is important ASTB, oh and ASTB, and then don't forget to do well on the ASTB

HeartofTexas

Contributor
OPNAVISNT 1420.1B, Navy's Commissioning Program Manual:

Chapter 4 (4-6 to 4-7) outlines some minimum requirements for Pilot/NFO (4/5/5) but obviously you should strive for higher scores.

I'm also submitting a package for the 25JAN21 Board. I started last week and I'm already 90% done with it (granted, I already took the ASTBE and medical commissioning physical a few years back when I was trying to cross branch to the Marine Corps but that's another story for not today). Doing my last interview later this morning and then I'll just be waiting on LORs (Letters of Recommendations)

I'd recommend you join the 25JAN21 Board thread (link below):

BDavis11

Contributor
OPNAVISNT 1420.1B, Navy's Commissioning Program Manual:

Chapter 4 (4-6 to 4-7) outlines some minimum requirements for Pilot/NFO (4/5/5) but obviously you should strive for higher scores.

I'm also submitting a package for the 25JAN21 Board. I started last week and I'm already 90% done with it (granted, I already took the ASTBE and medical commissioning physical a few years back when I was trying to cross branch to the Marine Corps but that's another story for not today). Doing my last interview later this morning and then I'll just be waiting on LORs (Letters of Recommendations)

I'd recommend you join the 25JAN21 Board thread (link below):
program authorization changed that minimum to a 5/6/6

FinkUFreaky

pilot
All I'd say is that GPA in an Engineering major is very competitive, but study and do well on the ASTB as well. You'd be a shoe-in. I personally applied pilot only, and because I got picked up, it worked out great. Knowing everything I know now, I would have done it the same (because I got picked up), but also knowing everything I know now, I would rather have been picked up FO than waiting 6 months to put it as an option again (well maybe; probably certainly in today's COVID hiring environment). But per exNavyOffRec, yeah, if you would be bitter in your sea-tour (I've seen it) that you weren't a pilot, then FO isn't for you. We had one dude who constantly complained about how he was promised he could maybe redes, and actually held a grudge against the guy that was top of his class at API because maybe if he had been instead, he could have redes'd. Don't be that guy; didn't go well for him. Also you can be picked up pilot and then NAMI finds something they don't like in your eyes... Happens a lot.

HeartofTexas

Contributor
We had one dude who constantly complained about how he was promised he could maybe redes, and actually held a grudge against the guy that was top of his class at API because maybe if he had been instead, he could have redes'd. Don't be that guy; didn't go well for him. Also you can be picked up pilot and then NAMI finds something they don't like in your eyes... Happens a lot.

Definitely have come across a few FOs like that...and their "story times" never make the flight go by any faster ?

Marsh

Thank you all for the replies and advice! I've been studying as much as I can for ASTB even though I don't have a date set yet. I'll know more next Tuesday.

KaleDaSquid

AW Deity and aspiring Aviator
Contributor
Thank you all for the replies and advice! I've been studying as much as I can for ASTB even though I don't have a date set yet. I'll know more next Tuesday.

I got a 44 9/8/8 and was selected. Make sure you study and study and study. Plus, do not go to where the Marines are doing PT lol I think I bombed the reading as all I could hear was "ONE MORE REP" being yelled directly outside the other wall. A little humor, but do not lose sight of your goal. Put in the work!

BDavis11

Contributor
I got a 44 9/8/8 and was selected. Make sure you study and study and study. Plus, do not go to where the Marines are doing PT lol I think I bombed the reading as all I could hear was "ONE MORE REP" being yelled directly outside the other wall. A little humor, but do not lose sight of your goal. Put in the work!
I KNO THE FEELING. When I got to the reading section, the girl next to me was having issues with her computer timing out because she took a longer than necessary break. They were discussing the issue next to me. The material was already dry and to hear all that chatter trying to find the right answer was too much.

KaleDaSquid

AW Deity and aspiring Aviator
Contributor
I KNO THE FEELING. When I got to the reading section, the girl next to me was having issues with her computer timing out because she took a longer than necessary break. They were discussing the issue next to me. The material was already dry and to hear all that chatter trying to find the right answer was too much.

That score caused me so much anxiety. When I heard I was selected it was like a weight off my chest. Thats funny you had a similar experience. I will never forget it. 10/10 would not recommend

BDavis11

Contributor
That score caused me so much anxiety. When I heard I was selected it was like a weight off my chest. Thats funny you had a similar experience. I will never forget it. 10/10 would not recommend
im just hoping my 56 6/6/6 is good enough