• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to OCS, but feel stuck at a crossroad.

GPD_435

Greetings,

I'm close to submitting a packet for OCS, but feel a little lost regarding some potential roadblocks and would greatly appreciate any advice.

Some background: 31 yoa with a B.S. in Computer Science (~3.5 gpa). Initial ASTB scores are 51 with a 5/5/5, but planning to retake on the 28th.

Originally SNA was my dream designator, but that has quickly become a pipe dream. I don't meet the vision requirements (-3.00 diopters), and even if I did get Lasik, I have a piece of medical history that the Aeromedical Waiver guide calls "CD, waiver not recommended ", which is maddeningly vague.

I would still be very happy with SNFO if I could get selected for it, but I'm worried about getting the "NAMI Whammy". Any information I've seen regarding redesignating at OCS is rather old and suggests the process is go SWO or DOR. Is that still the case? My recruiter didn't seem to have any clue.

The other option is eschewing aviation all together and applying for the Intel/CWO/MCWO board that also interests me.

I understand I'm getting ahead of myself a bit here, but I just want to have a plan and am unsure what is worth applying for.

Thank you for your time.

exNavyOffRec

The max age for aviation is commissioned by 32, that means in OCS by age 31 and 9 months, not sure if you just turned 31 or not.

There have been times where it has been SWO or go home, there have been times when it isn't, a recruiter wouldn't be able to predict what will happen in the future.

You have a good degree and GPA to go for anything in IWC.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Greetings,

I'm close to submitting a packet for OCS, but feel a little lost regarding some potential roadblocks and would greatly appreciate any advice.

Some background: 31 yoa with a B.S. in Computer Science (~3.5 gpa). Initial ASTB scores are 51 with a 5/5/5, but planning to retake on the 28th.

Originally SNA was my dream designator, but that has quickly become a pipe dream. I don't meet the vision requirements (-3.00 diopters), and even if I did get Lasik, I have a piece of medical history that the Aeromedical Waiver guide calls "CD, waiver not recommended ", which is maddeningly vague.

I would still be very happy with SNFO if I could get selected for it, but I'm worried about getting the "NAMI Whammy". Any information I've seen regarding redesignating at OCS is rather old and suggests the process is go SWO or DOR. Is that still the case? My recruiter didn't seem to have any clue.

The other option is eschewing aviation all together and applying for the Intel/CWO/MCWO board that also interests me.

I understand I'm getting ahead of myself a bit here, but I just want to have a plan and am unsure what is worth applying for.

Thank you for your time.

The bigger concern is your age, at 31, I don't think you have enough time to get LASIK, heal for about 6-ish months, then apply and then get to OCS... all while completing this before turning 32.

IWC and SWO are going to be your realistic options here.

Hey there!
I just graduated OCS in February so I can shine some light on this.
If you are not a prior enlisted member who came from active duty into OCS and if you DOR you can just get discharged from the Navy and carry on with your life. There was a guy in a class below mine who was an airline pilot and decided the military wasn’t for him so he DOR got sent home and is flying for the airlines again.

Now please know that before OCS (if you are not a prior) you will not get to do a flight physical. Your flight physical takes place within your first week at OCS and you won’t know the outcome (PQ / NPQ) until weeks or months later because the flight surgeon that evaluates you has to submit everything to NAMI and they are not fast by any means if you are not PQ by the time you complete the program you can walk graduation with your class but you won’t commission until you are PQ and you get to sit in student pool, I believe you can still take leave and whatnot while in student pool but you are just like in limbo, if you are found PQ, you will commission and get orders to get out of Newport. If you are found NPQ at the completion of OCS you have 2 options: redesignate or DOR, if you are found NPQ before you complete OCS I think you may have the same options but most people choose to DOR if they find out before they have completed OCS. Re designation is not really what you want. You got a say to an extent but needs of the navy play a huge part, so to say the least it will be a gamble.

Hope this was helpful!

GPD_435

Thank you all for your input. I hadn't considered age to be the main concerning factor, given I was under the impression your 32nd year was included in that window. I will shift my focus on improving that OAR score for the IWC boards.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you all for your input. I hadn't considered age to be the main concerning factor, given I was under the impression your 32nd year was included in that window. I will shift my focus on improving that OAR score for the IWC boards.
No need to retake the OAR as long as it is above the point of needing a waiver no one really cares what the score is.

GPD_435

No need to retake the OAR as long as it is above the point of needing a waiver no one really cares what the score is.
Wow, that's news to me! I was under the impression they valued the degree being STEM and the OAR score heavily. Is there anything else I should work on then, or just submit and let it ride?