• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying for OCS

fox0987

To Whom It May Concern,

I am currently 21 years old and entering my 4th year of college. I plan on graduating in May '09 with a BA in International Affairs from James Madison University, Harrsionburg, VA.
I am thinking ahead to my plans after graduation and have considered OCS. I have heard various things concerning both Navy and Army OCS and have not decided on one of the other. Best case scenario would be going through Army OCS and eventually entering Military Intelligence or Special Forces. Navy OCS is still a viable option, but it appears there are less career paths upon completing OCS. I am still open to the thought of applying for Navy OCS and striving for the SEAL option, but it appears that would be a bit more difficult.

I have posted below a sample of my accomplishments and was hoping to receive an opinion on my chances of being accepted for OCS. I understand that any feedback will not be official, but I was just hoping to get a sense for my potential options.

-Current 3.2 GPA
-Internship with Congressman Ruppersberger of Maryland's 2nd District
- Study Abroad experience in Buenos Aires, Argentina (4 months, moderate Spanish language proficiency)
-2 years of Varsity Swimming for a Division I team (unable to compete any longer because athletic funding was reduced and team was cut)
-2 years of employment through the Ocean City, MD Beach Patrol

My criminal record is clean aside from a pending DUI. I received this December 23, 2007 when I was 20 years old. The court date for this is scheduled July 24, 2008 and I hope to put this all behind me.

I understand that this last bit of information creates numerous complications, but was hoping there still might be a chance for my acceptance.

I appreciate any advice
Respectfully,

Fox0987

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Wow, getting a DUI in the future. Already planning for a pre-Christmas party, eh? All jokes aside, your GPA and extra-curriculars look good. Be aware that it is very difficult to get a SEAL spot as an officer; however, I do not know the exact steps to being a SEAL. Bottom line...go see an OFFICER recruiter and apply. The worst they can say is no.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Well, the boards WILL look down on you going to JMU, as they CLEARLY know that App. State is the premier FCS school - explaining why I got in. =)

Lots of people here to help you out man, just be respectful and patient. Good luck.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Well, the boards WILL look down on you going to JMU, as they CLEARLY know that App. State is the premier FCS school - explaining why I got in. =)

Lots of people here to help you out man, just be respectful and patient. Good luck.

Maybe the guy selecting that day..just happened to like Blue Grass music and banjos...

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
SEAL is hard to get, and I believe Army pretty much puts you wherever it needs you. You don't select yourself like the Navy. Have you looked into the Marines?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
If that DUI doesn't get thrown out, you can probably kiss your chances of getting SEAL goodbye, and any other officer position is going to be very difficult to get.

As for Army, a former soldier told me that all Army officers go to Ranger school, but you don't necessarily get assigned to a Ranger team. Not really sure how that works and it sounded fishy, but good luck.

fox0987

Update

Thank you all who have posted and provided some feedback. Just as an update, I recently have been to court for the DUI charges. I was charged with Impaired Driving and given Probation Before Judgment with 1 year of Unsupervised Probation. Considering this is the best case scenario for me, I was wondering if this might change any chances I had of making OCS.

Thanks for the help

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Thank you all who have posted and provided some feedback. Just as an update, I recently have been to court for the DUI charges. I was charged with Impaired Driving and given Probation Before Judgment with 1 year of Unsupervised Probation. Considering this is the best case scenario for me, I was wondering if this might change any chances I had of making OCS.

Thanks for the help
Yes, it will make the entire process more difficult and reduce your "chances" of being accepted to OCS.

SWCS242

SWO in-training

Thanks for the help

Not that you should give up on your hopes of becoming a Navy Officer, but with a DUI your chances are probably better with the Army. From what I have heard, the Army is much more liberal with one's criminal record vs. the Navy.