• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Apply for OCS before Graduation

Jacksa71

Hello everyone,

I have seen many posts on these websites, and I am very impressed with everyone's help, but I haven't seen anyone answer my question or even asked. I am Active Enlisted right and plan on applying for pilot/NFO board at the end of the year 2021 and so forth. My question is, " Can you apply for the board before actually receiving your bachelor's degree?". There is a board that will be convening in December, and the paperwork is due in November or even October; I am on my last three classes, which start in October and end in December. Would they still even give me a chance, or should I wait until I get my actual degree? The only problem that I see is I don't have a degree in black and white, The possibility of GPA downing (not much since it's my last three classes), and failing a class (which is unlikely because I am dead set on passing for the board). Dumb question but willing to ask.

Anthony

exNavyOffRec

Hello everyone,

I have seen many posts on these websites, and I am very impressed with everyone's help, but I haven't seen anyone answer my question or even asked. I am Active Enlisted right and plan on applying for pilot/NFO board at the end of the year 2021 and so forth. My question is, " Can you apply for the board before actually receiving your bachelor's degree?". There is a board that will be convening in December, and the paperwork is due in November or even October; I am on my last three classes, which start in October and end in December. Would they still even give me a chance, or should I wait until I get my actual degree? The only problem that I see is I don't have a degree in black and white, The possibility of GPA downing (not much since it's my last three classes), and failing a class (which is unlikely because I am dead set on passing for the board). Dumb question but willing to ask.

Anthony

A person that is a civilian can apply up to 6 months, sometimes 12 months prior to graduation.

An active duty sailor must have their degree in hand prior to applying for OCS.

Hello everyone,

Anthony
Good day Anthony,

I was told from my recruiter that an applicant could apply 15 months prior to their graduation date. Regarding to the board that you mentioned, if I remember correctly, it is a rolling board.

exNavyOffRec

Good day Anthony,

I was told from my recruiter that an applicant could apply 15 months prior to their graduation date. Regarding to the board that you mentioned, if I remember correctly, it is a rolling board.

It is normally 6 months prior to graduation, NRC will allow up to 12 months

He is AD so that doesn't apply to him

Rolling boards have not been a thing for years.

PringleMan

There are a lot of elements to the package that can be completed prior to graduation, however. The package itself cannot be submitted without the degree, but if you are within the final weeks/month of your degree you could absolutely hit up your leadership for interviews and letters of recommendations.

On that front, do not be afraid to ask for interviews with your superior command. By this I mean if you are with a squadron (for example) then ask for interviews with your CO AND the Commodore. Get help with interview prep, think about your approach as an officer, and go forth!

Jacksa71

There are a lot of elements to the package that can be completed prior to graduation, however. The package itself cannot be submitted without the degree, but if you are within the final weeks/month of your degree you could absolutely hit up your leadership for interviews and letters of recommendations.

On that front, do not be afraid to ask for interviews with your superior command. By this I mean if you are with a squadron (for example) then ask for interviews with your CO AND the Commodore. Get help with interview prep, think about your approach as an officer, and go forth!
I definitely plan on meeting all of the other requirements before I receive my degree. Just curious because on the application process its asked when is the the degree completion date. I was thinking maybe I could submit and by the time results come out I'll have my degree etc. Either way, I am not to work about it. I have a good leadership at my command and interviews won't be a problem. Just had two AMDOs selects get picked up here.