• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AP Physics

mahopacjock14

Ok, so I'm a junior in high school and im taking AP physics. My teacher is basically a nut case and is giving us questions that MIT gives on there tests(no exaggerating she told us and the paper said MIT) anyways i feel like im going to do poorly in the class but very good on the AP exam. My GPA unweighted is about an 88 as if now but I expect high 70s in this class. On the other hand i lightened up in most of my other classes besides a college engineering class as well as honors pre-calc. I would love to attend any military academy but realize my grades aren't really there. However I do have a lot of extra curiculars; soccer, tennis, track, volunteering at a trolley museum, a couple clubs, piano, and skiing. Should i drop this AP physics class or stick with it in order to better my chances at attending an academy?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Stick with AP Physics. I took it as a Junior in HS as well and it was pretty difficult. The teacher challenged us a lot but you will pick it up. Obviously a A in AP is better than a B or C, but you're showing that you are challenging yourself. The slackers taking easy classes aren't, and admissions folks know it.

I got a 5 on the Physics C and it saved me a year of Calc based physics my freshman year of college. That alone is worth the trouble at any school.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Stick it out. Talk with your professor and tell her what you told us. She obviously cares and wants you to learn and succeed (otherwise she'd be teaching the usual bullshit out of a high school textbook). I'm sure she'll figure out a way to get those grades up.

Legitimately, of course ;)

MasterBates

RecoveringLSO is wise. All I did in HS was School, Work, and Dirtbikes.

And I was a total social retard that was 100% clueless with women. (see: Manatee)

Play now, avoid paying later. (just use a condom, to avoid paying for the next 18 years)

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
My teacher is basically a nut case and is giving us questions that MIT gives on there tests

Phunny thing about Physics: it's the same everywhere. Quit worrying about where the questions come from and figure out why they are there and how to solve them. I only had one prof who gave completely off the wall stuff on his tests; it was because he was a genius (really!), and a terrible teacher who was intolerant of people who didn't pick things up as quickly as he did. At the end of the semester he realized he couldn't fail us all or it would look bad and so he curved all the final grades so the highest average was an "A". Just be that guy and it will all work out.

If you're not that guy, find him and steal his homework.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you're shooting for an Academy, you're better off with a C in the hardest classes your school offers, than an A+ in basketweaving. Based solely on what you posted, you sound like a fairly strong candidate - good grades in hard classes, extracurriculars, sports, etc. Admissions would rather see someone who does many things well than someone who excels in one thing to the exclusion of everything else (i.e., jock who just took basketweaving, nerd with no physical ability, drama club president with shitty grades...you get the idea).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If it means anything more coming from a Blue and Gold Officer, what Fester said.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Based on your post, I'm assuming that your concurrent course of "pre-calc" means your "AP Physics" is "AP Physics B" (non-calc based physics). Assuming you're going to go into a tech degree, this course is almost worthless to your future, and just know you won't get any worthwhile credit unless your future degree includes the possibility of a non-calc based physics course. With all that said, I'd recommend switching out of the course, which sounds like it will be a challenge for you and not likely of important credit to your future degree. Maybe wait until next year, when you'll be in calc and can take AP Physics C.

EDIT: On the off chance you want to struggle through and hope to get an elective credit (assuming you pass the AP test) for a non-tech degree, then I applaud your efforts, and good luck.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
You don't need AP Calc (unless it's a specific school thing) concurrent to take the Physcis C. Will it help? Sure. But most of it is advanced algerbra with some easy integrals/derivations. I took it while the C while in PreCalc. No big deal.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Based on your post, I'm assuming that your concurrent course of "pre-calc" means your "AP Physics" is "AP Physics B" (non-calc based physics). Assuming you're going to go into a tech degree, this course is almost worthless to your future, and just know you won't get any worthwhile credit unless your future degree includes the possibility of a non-calc based physics course. With all that said, I'd recommend switching out of the course, which sounds like it will be a challenge for you and not likely of important credit to your future degree. Maybe wait until next year, when you'll be in calc and can take AP Physics C.

EDIT: On the off chance you want to struggle through and hope to get an elective credit (assuming you pass the AP test) for a non-tech degree, then I applaud your efforts, and good luck.

You don't need AP Calc (unless it's a specific school thing) concurrent to take the Physcis C. Will it help? Sure. But most of it is advanced algerbra with some easy integrals/derivations. I took it while the C while in PreCalc. No big deal.
Gentlemen,
Read the thread. The OP wants to go to a military academy This isn't about what he needs to be an officer or pilot or SWO. It is how to make his application most competitive for military academy selection That is something I know a little about. For one, ALL majors at USNA are technical degrees. Getting a "C" in honors or AP is more important than a "B" in a far lessor class. And I can say categorically that taking auto shop, photography, early release and getting laid will do nothing for an academy application. He didn't ask for a life coach. He asked if staying in a challenging class will help his academy app.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Wow Wink. Thanks for that snap back to reality. Nobody encouraged him to take autobody shop or photography. It was a subtle nudge based on the fact that this individual sounds like he's doing everything correctly.