• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AOA, Can someone explain this to me?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
From my limited experience here is what I think. In an instance of a complete loss of power, initial students are taught to establish Vglide (which I believe correlates to your 125).

Just to broaden the scope here a bit and perhaps make the -34 pilots' world a bit bigger...

Can't speak for the numbers on the T-6, but sometimes the "Glide Airspeed" is not always the "Best Glide." For the -34, Glide airpseed is 100 knots, but if you dig in the Natops, you'll see 100 knots isn't always going to give you the best glide ratio. Since we don't have an AOA indicator that's marked for anything, we don't have it to use for the extra gouge.

llnick's idea is a good one. If you think the situation is right, go talk to Stan (or whatever the AF's equivalent is) and bring this up. Either an IP is putting out bad gouge or you don't completely understand, or misunderstood, what he was saying. Either way, something good can come out of it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
To blow your mind, the Rhino's M/R and M/E AOA numbers change based on altitude. However, we have a "smart wing", i.e. the wing changes its shape based on your flight profile, etc. It's not a normal fixed wing aircraft like a T-34 or T-45.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Or you get berated.

Well then, you get berated. It's not a popularity contest. The goal is to learn and if the IP is putting out bad gouge (and I'm not saying he is), then it should stop. If the OP misunderstood what the IP was saying, then clarification is a good thing. Either way, that's why Stan is there.