• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone use their old government issued stuff to do other stuff now?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
I do...see pics below.

Since I began bicycle road racing two years ago, I haul all my racing equipment (except my racing bicycle) around in my "Kit, Bag, Flyers" and my "Bag, Flyers, Helmet". The bags are quite a hit at races...especially with other military veterans. And get this...I haul my bicycle racing helmet...wait for it...in my "Bag, Flyers, Helmet". I'm so cool.

Post up your old government issued stuff that does other stuff now.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flight suit, helmet, gloves, knee board, helmet bag, all used to fly with the Sheriff's office. They provide nothing to the volunteer folks. Use my old woodland cammies I needed for one gig with EUCOM for hunting.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Currently using the old HT-8 shirt as the new oil change shirt...please note holes present on left shoulder area...circled in green.

Last edited:

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I use old flight suits for going in the attic and other "long sleeve" work where I may get dirty or covered in fiberglass. I use flight boots for going out in the snow, old flight gloves for yard work. I have some odd various cold weather stuff from the sub that I wear around too. It is much better than the crap cold weather gear that NAVAIR issued me. We didn't get any of the new gore tex stuff in my squadron.

That parachute bag is big, but it needs a long strap badly so that you can even out the load if you carry it more than 10 feet. We still use them in TACAMO for luggage since they fit well in our luggage bin and I am pretty sure that half my back problems can be attributed to them. That plus pilots load the bags and I usually try to help out when I can.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That parachute bag is big, but it needs a long strap badly so that you can even out the load if you carry it more than 10 feet...

When I went to work for the Iron Works, my new flight gear included a parachute bag with a heavy-duty strap sewn on by the SAMC riggers. Totally awesome and I don't know why they aren't built up that way in the Fleet.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I was able to get a hold of an old flight suit which is great for working on the car or doing other projects (like refinishing some tables last year). The boots are also great for motorcycle rides, too since they're sturdy and over the ankle. In API, I found out you can use the flight gloves as a great oven mitt (you become very resourceful when you're just starting out).

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
After submitting my letter of resignation in early 1967, I was finally allowed to separate in mid '68 ...USN demanded return of everything ever issued ...down to flight jacket, boots, flight suits ...even sunglasses! Screw'em ...was on my to the "Friendly Skies". :p

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was able to get a hold of an old flight suit which is great for working on the car or doing other projects (like refinishing some tables last year). The boots are also great for motorcycle rides, too since they're sturdy and over the ankle. In API, I found out you can use the flight gloves as a great oven mitt (you become very resourceful when you're just starting out).

That's basically the only thing we use gloves for in the P-8.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
That parachute bag is big, but it needs a long strap badly so that you can even out the load if you carry it more than 10 feet.

I took mine to the paraloft and had them sew a long nylon webbed strap on it so I could sling it over my shoulder. Still use it for hauling around tools, etc.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Gloves are also the E-6 oven mit, although I do wear mine to air refuel due to moisture accumulation and sometimes when I land depending on how I feel.

Every time I put them on, some smartass asks me if I am going to wear them in the airlines. Maybe I will...no better way to make a great first impression.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Gloves are also the E-6 oven mit, although I do wear mine to air refuel due to moisture accumulation and sometimes when I land depending on how I feel.

Every time I put them on, some smartass asks me if I am going to wear them in the airlines. Maybe I will...no better way to make a great first impression.
Wear them when you go to the back to help the FA's clean the cabin. :cool: Many of them wear rubber gloves when they do it.