• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone know the chances of getting a waiver for Atrial Fibrillation?

haze748

Ive looked all over the place to get info about this, and I have even been told "youre screwed" from a Captain at NOMI. I was just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible for me to get a waiver having had an episode of Atrial Fibrillation. It was a single episode, no problems since, no longer on any meds at all, did a stress test and it was 100% perfect, and my civilian doc told me today that the chances of it happening again are LESS THAN 1%. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

John

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's what the NOMI waiver guide says:

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/cardiology.htm#Atrial_Fibs

3.4 ATRIAL FIBRILLATION (AFIB)
Rev SEP 95

AEROMEDICAL CONCERNS: See atrial flutter (3.5 below).

WAIVER: The condition is CD. No waivers are recommended in recurrent cases or in candidates, but a return to full flight status is possible 6 months following a single episode of atrial fibrillation with a documented precipitating factor (e.g. Holiday Heart). No medications are waiverable. Waivers are not recommended for candidates.

INFORMATION REQUIRED: Complete cardiology consultation is required, to include exercise treadmill testing, echocardiography and three Holter monitor studies at monthly intervals. Exclusion of secondary causes is mandatory, including an exact detailed history of the event(s)(i.e. alcohol use, thyroid, stimulant use, sleep, stress, etc).

DISCUSSION: The condition is a result of chaotic atrial activity (P waves not discernible) at a rate generally between 350-600, with an irregularly irregular ventricular response (rate 120-160) except in patients on digoxin, beta blockers, high vagal tone, or intrinsic AV nodal disease. Causes are many: rheumatic heart disease (RHD), atrial septal defects (ASD), pulmonary emboli (PE), coronary artery disease (CAD), cardiomyopathies, postoperative heart surgery, hypertension, and pericarditis. A single episode of AFIB may occur without underlying heart disease, and can be associated with high caffeine intake, smoking, and excessive ETOH intake. In 50% of cases of atrial fibrillation, the cause is underlying disease such as left ventricular failure, mitral valve disease, pericardial disease, chronic obstructive lung disease, sinus node disease or hyperthyroidism. There is a 17-fold increase in stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation caused by mitral valve disease compared to a 5-fold increase in risk in patients where the fibrillation arises from all other causes. Cardioversion is 90%successful in restoring rhythm in flutter but there is a relatively high relapse rate (50%) in fibrillation. Patients with idiopathic, paroxysmal atrial fibrillation have no increased mortality compared to normals.

427.31 Atrial Fibrillation

3.5 ATRIAL FLUTTER (AF)
Rev APR 94

AEROMEDICAL CONCERNS: Acute atrial flutter may result in a runaway ventricular response rate. AF may be associated with chest pain, syncope or near syncope. There is a significantly increased incidence of embolic phenomena.

WAIVER: The condition is CD. Waivers are not recommended for recurrent atrial flutter or atrial fib/flutter in the absence of precipitating factors. A return to full flight status has been recommended for some cases of isolated atrial flutter with documented precipitating factors. Waivers are not recommended for candidates.

INFORMATION REQUIRED: Complete cardiology consultation is required, to include exercise testing, echocardiography and three Holter monitors at monthly intervals. Individuals are grounded for six months pending evaluation. No medications are waiverable. Other secondary causes for atrial flutter must also be excluded (alcohol intoxication, hyperthyroidism).

DISCUSSION: An atrial rate (P wave) of 250-350 and varying degrees of AV block is the most common presentation, with 2:1 block the most common. Characteristic "saw-tooth" waves (flutter waves) may be seen in the inferior leads.

427.32 Atrial Flutter

mb1685

Apologies for bumping an ancient thread, but I have a related question.

My dad was diagnosed with Afib a few years ago. He'll be 64 in 2 months, so it wasn't an issue for him for the majority of his life so far. I'm assuming I'll have to include notable information about my family's medical history, so I'm wondering if this might have any bearing on a PQ or not (assuming my heart tests fine). Would that indicate increased risk and possibly NPQ me even if my heart is currently fine?

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
mb1685,
Having a parent with atrial fibrillation increases your risk of developing the arrhythmia. The exact increase in the risk is impossible to determine without more information, but probably about doubles your chances of developing AF at some point. Having a family member with AF will not disqualify you for aviation provided your exam is normal. To paraphrase Jeremiah, the diseases of the father shall not be visited upon the sons.
R/

mb1685

mb1685,
Having a parent with atrial fibrillation increases your risk of developing the arrhythmia. The exact increase in the risk is impossible to determine without more information, but probably about doubles your chances of developing AF at some point. Having a family member with AF will not disqualify you for aviation provided your exam is normal. To paraphrase Jeremiah, the diseases of the father shall not be visited upon the sons.
R/

Very much appreciated, thank you!

bigfoot20

Bumping this because I posted on Ask a Flight Surgeon thread and no one responded.

I had a single episode that was caused by low magnesium and dehydration. I was working outside in the heat of the summer when it happened. I had blood work done and it showed low magnesium. I'm not on meds. Would the Navy look at my FAA physical?

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Answering the second question, no. The Navy's physical requirements are much more stringent than the those of the FAA.
First question, maybe. Designated aviators can get a favorable recommendation. Applicants, not so much.
V/R