• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone know how this works for helo guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
This is by no means the "official word," rather just things we have hearded kicked around the sqd... it could be COMPLETELY WRONG... but I think it is pretrty accurate.

It is not something that you can select out of advanced. There is one sqd on the east coast and one on the west coast. Both are reserve sqds. From the scuttlebutt I have heard from IP's and students alike... one can try to go there after building a LOT of hours in the 60 (not sure if it is after the commitment is up or after the sea tour.)

Hope this helps, hopefully someone with more solid info will chime in.

Bevo16

pilot
All HCS squadrons are reserve squadrons and the officers are all TARs. I am not sure exactly how the squadrons evolved to be the way they are, but on paper at least they are supposed to be for training of reserve pilots. In actual practice, they are the squadrons who fly the majority of all Naval Special Warfare support missions. Their only platform is the HH-60H, and getting a TAR spot in an HCS squadron is probably toughest ticket in the helo world. The most junior guys in HSC squadrons are going to be senior LT's and there are not even that many of those. The wardroom in HCS squadrons is VERY senior. If you want in to an HCS squadron, HS is probably the best way to start out. HS squadrons also fly the HH-60H and they share the NSW mission with HCS and also get a lot of good experience with CSAR. After your first fleet tour, your best bet is to be an instructor at the RAG or an evaluator at the WTU (weapons and tactics unit).

There are rumors that HCS may be opened up to non reserve officers, but there is nothing set in stone yet. I think that the HCS squadrons like the way they have it set up right now, and they don't want to change. They pretty much get their pick of guys to bring in, and they have their happy little world with their Gucci mission. If you are still in flight school, you can pretty much forget about HCS for the next 8 years or so.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought the HCS squadrons were on the chopping block along with most of the rest of Reserve Navy Air except the counterdrug E-2 squadron, the adversary squadrons and VAQ-209.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash said:
I thought the HCS squadrons were on the chopping block along with most of the rest of Reserve Navy Air except the counterdrug E-2 squadron, the sdvesary squadrons and VAQ-209.
209, the F'ing holy grail. I wonder if those guys ever got back the two jets that CVWP stole from them about a year ago?

Brett

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
One of the squadrons actually came and gave us a brief here when they were trying to get guys to go the Active Reserve route. Its funny cause those were the 2 squadrons mentioned the most, yet those are the 2 that you have no chance in hell of selecting out of Advanced. Some absurd amount of hours is required, in addition to lots of NVG time and some other stuff. Probably close to equivalent requirements as the Army SOAR guys. Definately very senior people flying there.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Flash said:
I thought the HCS squadrons were on the chopping block along with most of the rest of Reserve Navy Air except the counterdrug E-2 squadron, the sdvesary squadrons and VAQ-209.
About 4-5 month old information from Director of AirWarfare --- and remember, this is Monday and things can change:

Five combat-support-spec/ops-helicopter squadrons (HS-75, HSL-60, HC-85, HCS-4, and HCS-5) have all been ID'd for the chopping block.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
About 4-5 month old information from Director of AirWarfare --- and remember, this is Monday and things can change:

Five combat-support-spec/ops-helicopter squadrons (HS-75, HSL-60, HC-85, HCS-4, and HCS-5) have all been ID'd for the chopping block.

True, but the reserve VP squadrons are already picked clean and being readied for conversion or decommisioning. I imagine the HCS's will survive but in what form I think remains to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.