• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone know about Diving/Salvage career options for EDO

Osvet

I've tried to look up this info online and in the NRH but there doesn't seem to be much outlining whether it's an option for Reserve Engineering Duty Officers like myself as a community to affiliate with or not.

Also wondering if there are age restrictions for reservists?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I've tried to look up this info online and in the NRH but there doesn't seem to be much outlining whether it's an option for Reserve Engineering Duty Officers like myself as a community to affiliate with or not.

Why didn't you ask this during your 2-3 professional interviews?

Best bet is to ask a senior EDO in your unit (if gained already) about the possibilities.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Are you looking to actually be a diver or just associated with them? If you are a reservist and looking to try and go to dive school I would guess you don't have much chance at all because it makes very little sense to send you through all the training to become a diver if you are only going to do it occasionally as a reservist and even less so as an officer. If you just want to join a dive/salvage unit that would be something to ask your fellow EDO officers.

exNavyOffRec

I was stationed with several EDO's at one of my shore duty stations, none were diving qualified, if any diving was to be done it was done by the ND's, not saying it isn't a possibility but probably one of those few and far between things. The majority of EDO's I knew were all about managing, planning various ship upkeeps and repairs.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Not sure if it's available for the the Reservists but it is an option as Active Duty. It's super competitive on Active Duty so I would assume that it would be the same for Reserves. My advice, contact the ED Diver managers at eddiveradmin@supsalv.org and then find your nearest dive locker to talk to them about becoming a diver and training with them. If you are near a Regional Maintenance Center, Shipyard, or Submarine refit facility, there should be a dive locker with EDO divers attached to it. For more info on the training pipeline, look here: http://www.navsea.navy.mil/Home/SUPSALV/ED-Divers/

I would love to know what you find out as I'm looking to transition to the EDO community on either the Active or Reserve side and am also interested in becoming a diver.

Not sure if it's available for the the Reservists but it is an option as Active Duty. It's super competitive on Active Duty so I would assume that it would be the same for Reserves. My advice, contact the ED Diver managers at eddiveradmin@supsalv.org and then find your nearest dive locker to talk to them about becoming a diver and training with them. If you are near a Regional Maintenance Center, Shipyard, or Submarine refit facility, there should be a dive locker with EDO divers attached to it. For more info on the training pipeline, look here: http://www.navsea.navy.mil/Home/SUPSALV/ED-Divers/

I would love to know what you find out as I'm looking to transition to the EDO community on either the Active or Reserve side and am also interested in becoming a diver.
Looks sweet--thanks for the info!

BigRed389

None

It's really not that competitive. They've actually have a hard time getting enough people to go through.
Because there's a relatively high failure rate for applicants at the school, they will recruit pretty heavily for anyone who is relatively junior (ie young) and in good shape.
The key is to make your interest known early to detailers/dive community, because once the other EDO communities get their claws into you, they won't want to let you go (RMC's being the exception).

But once you're an EDO Diver, you're pretty much locked into that world. They do get to do interesting salvage ops whenever stuff sinks or crashes in the ocean. Which of course happens pretty damn regularly.