• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone Heard of an "Admiral Review"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpack

I have been prorecced for supply and everthing is good for my final selection accept my medical waiver for a minor procedure was not accepted even though my recruiter and everyone else I spoke with thought it would not be a problem. My recruiter said he is trying to get permission for an "Admiral Review" so an Admiral can review my package and possibly overturn the decision. Anyone heard of this, the process, and the liklihood/success rates?

Thank You

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Just curious, what was your "minor procedure?" Did you know it would need a waiver going in or not?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I haven't heard of that, but let's put it this way: If an admiral wants something like that done, he can make it happen.

Ironfeliks23

USC- Sr.
Fight it tooth and nail my friend. Lemme give you my "minor procedure" story.

I was accepted for ROTC and heard all the same hubub about my "minor procedure". I had a skin cancer removed, margins were clear and I had no chemo, however the letter of the law said 5 years, I was only on year 2. I fought it from the Chief on up to a Captain at DODMERB. I didnt stop till the VCNO told me that there was nothig he could do for me, and to stop writting his office. I sent letters to Naval Surgeons, Admirals at BUMED, Captains at DODMERB and Congressmen in Washington. But all was for nought.

3 years later: As I apply for OCS (bdcp or direct) I am looking at the same set of waivers again. Dont give up, and DONT take their word on ANYTHING. If you dont have it in writing it doesnt exsist. I was told by everyone from the recruiter who told me about ROTC, to the Cmdr. that gave me my physical that "oh thats nothing, should be cleared with a simple waiver" But I was foolish enough not to get anything in black and white.

The bottom line is: I spent 4 months fighting it. I am satisfied that I did all I could do. Dont kick yourself in the butt a year from now because you didnt go the long haul. The only way to do it is yardarm to yardarm, good luck, and givem hell.

Wolfpack

Ironfeliks23, I just sent you a PM. I think my recruiter is trying to help me as much as possible so where else could I go to "plead my case"?

Ironfeliks23

USC- Sr.
There you go, I apologize if I went on a bit on that message, was a matter of great energy and personal anger at the time. Just posting here as a summary for anyone else who reads.

Start at the source, get it all in writing, take the case to supervisors, then to the admiral at BUMED. Simply dont stop, be perpared to hear "no" till they say "yes".

Please, if anyone who reads this has ANY first hand knowledge of the other side of this problem, post it. Lines in the medical rules, procedural dedlines, people who walk important people's dogs. There is rarely a more uphill battle then medical matters. I was told "It is a shame that time to time we must deny prominent and motivated canidates, however the rules are set" Anyone know of some possible rules that were missed?

I didnt keep ROTC, but 4 years and my own college payment later I'll be damned if I dont stop till I got butter on my collar and a stick/throttle in my hand.

Taylor

Wolfpack

Thanks for all of the detailed information in your PM Ironfelk. I am exhausting all possibilities. Good luck to you and hopefully we will both get thru and catch up on the other side.

Eteled

I just got word that my waiver request was denied at BUMED. Everyone at my NRD thought that I was easily going to get it (PRK waiver). My NRD only got a single line saying I didn't meet the refractive requirements (which I do). I will be resubmitting for the waiver in a few weeks. I want to get an explanation from BUMED and make sure I get all the necessary paperwork ready. Could someone send me contact information to get in touch with the BUMED folks?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Very sorry Eteled didn't get an up chit. Let me make something clear. Admirals and Congressmen can not break the law or ignore regulations! Medical appeals, or any review for that matter, only allow the reviewing officer to work within "waiverable limits". If you read the regulation, medical standard, or whatever, it will say if the limit or standard is waiverable. Sometimes it will even state a waiverable range. If waiver is not provided for than your chances are ZERO! Sorry, but that is the case. This is the military for sure, but we follow the rules. Admirals get to do what they want to only within certain limits. They don't break the rules. If you can not be certain if something is waiverable or what the waiverable limit is, then by all means push it. But please don't rain down congressmen on your recruiter because you can not accept fate. I have been in and out of recruiting in one capacity for nearly 7 years. I have seen lots af congressional inquires. They ate up dozens of man hours and NOT ONE ever resulted in a changed decision. That said, I truely wish the best of luck to all of you guys. Fight like hell when there is a chance of victory. Know when it is time to fold up your tent and move on.

Wolfpack

I agree 100%. My recruiter brought up an Admiral Review. I had never heard of one. This is the last stand since there seems to be some gray area in my particular case. No congressmen are involved, that's for sure. If this doesn't workout then I will have to move on. I've been working on this for a year (from making the decision, studying for test, being proreced twice etc.). I can't be in limbo anymore and will have to go another route to serve in some capacity. I'm lucky enough to have a good job now but it's just not for me and these corporate jobs seem so meaningless in the overall scheme of things.

Eteled

I agree as well. I'm within all limits for the community that designated me and the CMO at MEPS recommended a waiver. My recruiter said he only got a single sentence reason for the denial, which was vague. I going to get in touch with them and at least get some answers as to why it was denied.

I only need the waiver for the PRK. I think there might have been some misinterpretation of some medical records I sent up with my findoc's. We're going to resubmit for the waiver after my next eye exam in a couple of days. Until then I want to gather as much useful information to send with the resubmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.