• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone heading out to PreSchool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaR

Just got commissioned as an Ensign a month ago through NROTC at UCLA. I have orders to NNPS Preschool (service selected Subs) starting 25 August (class 407).

I was wondering if anyone else is in the same class or knows of anyone.

Also, I am looking for a place to live over there in Charleston. Any suggestions?

Plus, if there are other sub guys or recent graduates of nuke school, I'd appreciate any type of gouge you could provide...academic-wise, socially, anything about power school, charleston, etc...

As you can tell, there haven't been many sub guys coming out of UCLA. Mainly aviators. So anything will be great.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Congrats on your service selection. I went through the nuke power pipeline back in '92....through the enlisted side of the house when it was still in Orlando. The officer side is a bit more technical, though most officers have the math and science to back that up whereas many of the enlisted didn't know a damn thing (except high school courses) before they went through it.

Overall, the program is tough. At power school, there are those who do and those who don't. You'll figure out what I mean when you get there. Are you married? If not, find a willing partner and get hitched. For whatever reason, married guys (women couldn't be nukes when I went through) always did better than the single guys...usually with less after school studying. Regardless of what your degree is in or how high your GPA was, don't show up thinking you own the place. The navy has its own way of teaching engineering, thermo, math, electrical theory, etc. Smart people fail out of the program all the time. Believe me, if you couldn't make it through the program, Naval Reactors would not let you go there.

Use the instructors like there's no tomorrow. It's not college anymore. They are there to ensure you are successful and that you learn as much as you can. They may not know a lot in all aspects of the program, but the areas that they are responsible for teaching, they are very knowledgable. Unless they do it differently now, you will have a mixture of officer and enlisted instructors. The enlisted guys know more than you do. They always will. Accept that right away and you'll be ok.

Aim for perfection on your exams, but realize that its never going to happen. Grading is done a little differently in the nuke program than any other academic program I've been through....navy or otherwise. Don't expect multiple choice exams. In fact, don't expect to see even one mulitple choice question unless it's for a course critique. If you're getting anything over a 3.5, you're doing just fine and have no reason to complain. Learn from your mistakes and move on...don't get hung up on to stupid errors you made on the exam. If you're getting between a 3.2 and 3.5, you should be pretty happy with yourself. If you're getting below a 3.2, you need to talk to the instructors more. Never forget, it's two-five-stay-alive. That's not something to be made fun of...you'll see guys sweatin bullets for one or two points on the exam review just to squeak by. Oh yea, one more thing. Help your fellow classmates out.

Find a few other O's you like to hang around with and make time to get away from the studying each week. When I went through, my friends and I had a golden rule. We never studied on Friday night....period. That rule was sacred. Saturday during the day was ok, but not Saturday night. And then normally, we would all meet back again Sunday evening at the school house for a couple hours to finish up anything and just get warmed up for the next week. You're gonna get more stuff thrown at you than you'll know what to do with. Try not to forget any of it. At the end of power school, you'll get to take a lovely test....comprehensive in nature that covers everything....yes, everything. It's all fair game.

Please keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times, and enjoy the ride!

flashypants

Whoa.
pilot
Is this a submariners' site Josh? See those little gold wings in the corner??!? Just messin with you, although it is a bit strange to see you on these forums. Well, as you may know, during my 5 minutes of being enlisted I did attend ET 'A' School at NNPTC in Charleston. It was in 99, right after the school moved up from Orlando. I can't offer much advice, since I was underage, living on base, and went through A School and not Power School (god bless ROTC bailin me out of that), all of which don't apply to your situation.

Sounds like you got some good advice above, and you'll probably have a lot more fun than I did. Stay updated on the UCLA alumni page, and good luck in Charleston. Oh, and don't get married. Not like you have to worry about fending many girls off though....

Shaun

Edit: Ok, before anyone gets on my case, I just realized that the post was under the 'nuclear power' community. My bad.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
flashypants said:
Edit: Ok, before anyone gets on my case, I just realized that the post was under the 'nuclear power' community. My bad.

Token "getting on your case" post.

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
JoshuaR,

I'm in chucktown right now. I'm not a nuke, but I know a couple of ENS that were at the school. I could pass your email addy on to them. I'm sure they could shed some light on what to do/not do etc, and good places to live. PM me with your email and I'll pass it along....

ET1.Colon

Steve Wilkins is right on the money with life in the pipeline. I'm currently an ET1 nuc, and I remember the days at power school. There are only a couple of things I would like to add to what Mr. Wilkins said.

IMHO, the reason that married guys did better was that the wife is a huge motivator to do well. The lower your GPA, the more stufy hours you have to do. At least, that was the case on the enlisted side. If you are doing poorly, your class advisor can (and will) assign you mandatory studdy hours, ranging from 10 voluntary hours a week, up to 35 mandatory hours a week. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Try explaning to a wife that you have to do an extra 35 hours a week at work because you are slacking off in class. I believe you would end up sleeping on the couch a lot.

Take good notes. They put out all the information you need. When they say to know something verbatim, know it verbatim. When it comes time to take your six month comprhensive exam, take a minimu of 3 days to study. Also, pay good attention to the review. All the instructors there want you to pass. The last thing the fleet wants, or needs, are 2nd rate PPWOs and EOOWs.

Just my 2 cents

V/R
ET1 Jose Colon-Jr
Pearl Harbor NSY & IMF
Regional Auxilliary Security Force - Member
First Class Petty Officer Association - Member

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
Josh,

I went through the pipeline as a Mechanic and did a short tour as a junior instructor. Charleston is a GREAT place to live. Notice I said Charleston and not Goose Creek? I'm personally attached to Summerville because it has that small town feel but it's close enough to everything. Just depends on what type of person that you are. Stay out of North Charleston... you'll understand once you get here.

As far as academic gouges... well they are ALL classified. My advice to you is to a spend Sunday-Thursday like a study hog and be a weekend party animal. Make sure you have a pressure release past time... movies, running, whatever. Don't spend to much time studying though... about 10-20 hours maximum. You'll go crazy if you spend to much time in there, trust me I've seen it first hand (serioulsy).

Don't worry there is plenty to do and plenty of time to do it... tours, plantations, clubs, pubs, country, pop, music, and nice beaches.

Be warned... girls in the South are completely different from the left coast.

If I've forgotten any thing just ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.