• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone for the Dec 8th OCS class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Hi everyone,

I'm the FNG around here. I graduate from UF and will start OCS on Dec 8th. Was wondering if anyone will be at OCS in Dec. This seems to be a great place for info. I cant wait to start OCS and then move on into the pilot pipeline.

John, when and where did you go to dive school?

Best regards,

Dave

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Dave,

First of congrats on the upcoming graduation, going to OCS, and of course Pilot selection!

I went to Dive School (SCUBA) at Panama City, back in March-April 1995. If I can remember any names, two of the main dive instructors where Boomer and Boomer Jr., and Lt "cupcake" Stitch (EOD), who made our lives "interesting", hoo-ya Lt cupcake!! Ah the pain that would bring about...

If you have any questions about anything, don't hesitate to drop me an email, though the response might take a bit, heading out to HI on PCS orders monday, ah, North Shore, here I come... also back to work damnit, but at least I get to fly!

GO GATORS!! Who's ranked #1 baby?!?!

John

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
John,

Just went to a scrimage and have season tickets. Cant wait. I went to PC as well back in 88, oh what fun. Is it safe to assume that PT at OCS is not as tuff as Dive and EOD school? Also, I am torn between P3's and Jets as I am married and have 2 children any advice?

Dave P

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Dave,

SEASON TICKETS?!?! You lucky dog you!! Then again I had season tickets back in '96 (cough, living in the past..) I went to the Blue and Orange game a few months back, but haven't had a chance to go to one of Spurrier's open scrimage games, how are they looking?

First off, I didn't go through OCS. BUT, I don't believe you will any problems with OCS, from everything I have heard from friends that went through there, and the "horror" stories they had to tell, it really doesn't stack up that well against Dive School (with respect to PT). So yes, I think that is safe to assume, but then again I am not in bad shape now, but not the same shape I was when I went through Dive School! DOH!

Still, I am sure OCS has its moments. There is a lot of good advice floating around out here on the forum (and email) from ppl that just went through OCS, they can give you a better heads up. Anyone else have some thoughts on PT at OCS, care to shed some light on the subject?

Boy, do I hear you loud and clear on the Jets vs. P3 decision, I was in the same boat as you are right now. Fortunately I did well enough in Primary that I could pick between the two, and that there were Jet and P3 slots available at the time (not always the case). Reading some of Matt's posts about the F18 and talking with him in person kind of got the juices flowing again, and in a way (for a nanosecond) made me wish I had gone Jets, BUT I quickly snap out of it, and realize that I have the best of both worlds, I get to fly lots of hours, still be around my family (still have 6 month deployments but not to a boat), and most importantly, I think the P3 is a damn fun plane to fly. I could go into my decision a little bit more in depth, but basically, the benefits for family helped swing me in the decision to go P3s. Honestly, I don't "plan" on working for the airlines after my 20 is up (10 more to go), but it IS nice to have another door open to you. But, heck, Frumby proves the point that you don't need to fly P3s or big lumbering planes to fly for the airlines!

From where I stand now, basically right after the P3 FRS, and about to go to my first Fleet Squadron, I am very happy with my decision. Though, let me get back to you next May after I have a chance to see the community first hand! lol

Don't really know if that answered your question or not, and I am sure Matt and Frumby have some choice words to lure you to the "dark side", but basically it is just going to boil down to you and your selection sheet, and hopefully your NSS grades will help you get what you want!

Go Gators!

John

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:If the jets is the dark side then I would hate to see where you reside. I have been inside your cockpit, remember? At least I have some digital displays to show me the light.

LOL, yeah I remember, I saw your reaction to the P3 cockpit first hand, as your eyes bugged out all those damn dials/cbs/gauges and switches (I probably looked the exact same way when I first saw it, must be a common reaction). And I also have digital EFDS displays in the P3, but well, umm, no two P3s are EVER the same, and you never know when you will be "lucky" enough to fly one of them, weird switching back and forth, "Where's my damn UHF?!?!".

magnum

Hey Magnum,
If they are telling you that you can't be a pilot due to your age, I think you need to leave a message for EODDAVE. He just switched from NFO to pilot and he's 31. Good luck. Frumby |EODDAVE-talk to me! I think we are in the same boat-feel free to check my information under topic heading acceptance. thank-you!

Status
Not open for further replies.