• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone ever gotten OFF a medical waiver??

navyavi469

pilot
Is it even possible, or once you're on a waiver, you're on it for life? I would think with no recurring symptoms of whatever the original cause was (assuming it wasn't a permanent ailment), you would be able to get off it after a while. They're such a PITA come annual flight time.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Huh? I've had a waiver since before I got commissioned. Never been an issue through 3 long forms.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is it even possible, or once you're on a waiver, you're on it for life?

You might want to post this query on Doc's Corner forum, 'Ask the Flight Surgeon' thread. There is also a sticky on that forum on Waiver Info.:)
BzB

phrogpilot73

Pretty sure it's a waiver for life. I got a buddy who got a concussion playing hockey Plebe year at the Naval Academy. He still deals with the waiver, and he's a Major with 14 years of service, and has been symptom free for 18 years - but he still has to get a waiver.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
How is it a pita? They just ask if I'm on one and write it on the chit.

MasterBates

I've had them want to reexamine me a couple times.. Some flight surgeons think that clearance from NOMI and a Captain Flight Surgeon who's been a flight doc longer than they have been alive.. Is an insult to their trained eye.

KBayDog

I got a buddy who got a concussion playing hockey Plebe year at the Naval Academy...he's a Major with 14 years of service...

128757664071274128.jpg

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I got off of one. The conditions for the waiver changed. The definition of what constituted an athletic heart changed. It's still in my record, but I have another sheet saying it no longer applies. And it got me out of the small pox vaccine, so double whammy!

navyavi469

pilot
Good to hear that you can get off it.... I spoke with the doc and he's going to look in on it. He's a new O5 doc to an O6 major command, so I think he's looking to make a name for himself since he's basically a sea-duty billet that isn't deploying for an entire year; works in my favor!

Not all waivers are equal, in fact, very few are the same. Some waivers come with annual testing requirements and various other version of the Hokey-Pokey well above and beyond a long-form physical. It can be a big pita, and it can also change your medical service group.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Good points made. Certain waiver are forever, some are temporary. Joint injury? Show full ROM and you're good. Anemia due to an acute condition? Kow shows it can be fixed. Marijuana? That one's going to stay.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Not all waivers are equal, in fact, very few are the same. Some waivers come with annual testing requirements and various other version of the Hokey-Pokey well above and beyond a long-form physical. It can be a big pita, and it can also change your medical service group.

For what its worth, my waiver required an annual echo-cardiogram (sp?). The first year after I got it, I went in for my annual flight physical and the Air Force Lt. Col. told me I no longer needed that. Fast forward another year and I was pulled off the schedule for my last flight before winging and told I was "no longer medically PQ'ed for flight" because I had not been receiving my annual echo. Of course I fought it with what was told to me in my previous flight physical. I had to do another echo, and bam! I got a waiver saying I no longer needed a waiver. Needless to say I was sweating bullets for a couple days... So it can be done.