• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any old NAO's out there?

Ex Rigger

pilot
yep............. ;)

Old%20man.jpg

JC52083

We need T-6 Avatars
Can't you still get NAO?...there is a link about requirements on the BUPERS website in the aviation officer section

ip568

None
Almost...

I was in VT-10 when the Navy adopted the NFO wings. But I'm old enough to have had my first training flights in the "SNJ" UC-45J. There was nothing like sweating in the right/nav seat of an SNJ on a 100 degree Pensacola day while the Marine pilot screamed at you and hit you repeatedly in the face with his clipboard. I don't know what today's wussie NFOs will do when it hits the fan in the real world.

http://www.airlinehobby.com/fullsize_thumbs/504273270.jpg

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
JC52083 said:
Can't you still get NAO?...there is a link about requirements on the BUPERS website in the aviation officer section
Yep, meteorologists and other selected "observers" (you know who you are if you are one), as well as aircrewman AW warrants/LDOs who retreaded to become P-3/S-3 crewmembers are also NAOs. Still an aeronautical rating in use...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Goober said:
Yep, meteorologists and other selected "observers" (you know who you are if you are one), as well as aircrewman AW warrants/LDOs who retreaded to become P-3/S-3 crewmembers are also NAOs. Still an aeronautical rating in use...

A common example now (in the Navy) is for squadron intel officers in P-3's to their observer wings after doing 200 hours and completing a short syllabus that covered the basics of the aircraft and safety stuff.

We have a IRR LtCol who at work was an air controller (is that how you describe them) and a UAV guy who had a bunch of buddies do the NAO thing (he was NPQ'd). They even sent some of his buddies to flight school to get NFO wings as senior CAPT's and MAJ's. He said the Marines couldn't figure out if they wanted NFO's or NAO's in OV-10's, up until the time they retired them.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
ip568 said:
I was in VT-10 when the Navy adopted the NFO wings. But I'm old enough to have had my first training flights in the "SNJ" UC-45J. There was nothing like sweating in the right/nav seat of an SNJ on a 100 degree Pensacola day while the Marine pilot screamed at you and hit you repeatedly in the face with his clipboard. I don't know what today's wussie NFOs will do when it hits the fan in the real world.

Mine used a 1" X (however long it needed to be) pine dowel rod to whack my helmet when I goofed up during my days at VT-2

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
ip568 said:

ip, I ask for my education, not to call you out...

I always thought SNJs were the Navy version of the T-6. For example: http://www.skytyping.com/north_american_snj.htm

Was the plane you flew (Beach 17?) a SNJ w/ a different series number? Like the T-6 is a SNJ-2, was this an SNJ-whatever? I know google knows all, but I'm a bit lazy and curious what you have to say.

plc67

pilot
I take it that AOs are a thing of the past. They would fly with us in Hueys in the left seat and fly in the back seat of the OV 10s. During the 1972 Easter Offensive in RVN a bunch of USMC AO Warrant Officers were sent to fly with the USAF OV10 FACAs to call in airstrikes and artillery. An interesting group of guys.

USMC1775

OV-10 guys are the last of a dying breed. We didn't know if we were AO's or NFO's from day to day.