• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any branch that has cut off age for flight school after 27?

Doc G

So I just talked with a Navy Officer recruiter and found out I am ineligible to apply for flight school with the Navy because the cut off age is before 27 and I just turned 27. They are not taking age waivers either anymore even for prior enlisted. Currently I am serving in the reserves as well and feel super bummed out about it. I am graduating this December with a Mechanical Engineering degree and hoped to apply to flight school but I see no chance of that. I know this is far fetched but does anyone know if any other branch has a later age cut-off ?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I believe Army and ANG can... I'm not sure how often they like to though.

exNavyOffRec

So I just talked with a Navy Officer recruiter and found out I am ineligible to apply for flight school with the Navy because the cut off age is before 27 and I just turned 27. They are not taking age waivers either anymore even for prior enlisted. Currently I am serving in the reserves as well and feel super bummed out about it. I am graduating this December with a Mechanical Engineering degree and hoped to apply to flight school but I see no chance of that. I know this is far fetched but does anyone know if any other branch has a later age cut-off ?

There are several on here that were just selected that are 27 that are prior enlisted that did get a waiver. If you read the final select purgatory thread and the thread on the last SNA board you will see some and be able to PM them.

ARAMP1

Aviator Extraordinaire
pilot
None
The AF is 30 if you want to go that route.

ETA: I turned 30 in flight school and there were a couple dudes that were older than me on waivers in my class. Was ten years ago though. I hear the AF is a littl more stingy with the age waivers now days.

Just a few months ago there was a guy in my group for flight physicals at NAMI who was 30; he had been approved for an age waiver by the Marines.

Bravo Kilo

They are not taking age waivers either anymore even for prior enlisted.
Ehhh that sounds fishy, I wouldn't believe that

The USMC age cutoff is 27.5, but you still may need a waiver here because you're very close and may not commission before this.
The USAF cutoff is 30, and I believe ANG is even higher than that. ANG is a different animal, but I'm pretty sure most of their pilots are full-time.

exNavyOffRec

Ehhh that sounds fishy, I wouldn't believe that

The USMC age cutoff is 27.5, but you still may need a waiver here because you're very close and may not commission before this.
The USAF cutoff is 30, and I believe ANG is even higher than that. ANG is a different animal, but I'm pretty sure most of their pilots are full-time.

The ANG guys I knew weren't full time.

ARAMP1

Aviator Extraordinaire
pilot
None
The reg says you must start pilot training by your 30th birthday for active duty, USAFR and ANG. Rumor has it that it's easier to get the waiver in the Guard/Reserve. However, with the mass exodus of active duty pilots saying FU to the bonus and going airlines plus guard/reserve, I wouldn't be surprised if its starting to get more difficult to get the age waiver on the part time side too. I just read the latest Tulsa Viper unit announcement stating applicants "must not have had their 28th birthday by the date of the board".

PhillipC

I'm currently 27 and prior enlisted. I got my waiver approved in June and made the July board and was PRO REC Y for SNA and NFO.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Army National Guard is 33 years old for pilot training. The fun part about the guard...if you are flexible...is that you can pick your airframe by moving to the right state. Want to fly the Apache (for now), move to PA. Want to fly CH-47's? Move to New York. Want to fly H-60's...move anywhere!