• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any best course of action for my family's situation? Any input is greatly appreciated.

GodisGoodAlways

Trust the Process!
Note: I also emailed the askmncc@navy.mil, and will also consult with my command on Monday. Just gauging what other solutions you can give. Thank you.

Good day,

Me and my family are in dire spot as of the moment because of this COVID situation (currently stationed in Okinawa). I am in what you call in a "limbo" state because I am both separating or extending depending on results. Extending if I get selected in the OCS program (that I already applied for) and separating if not selected. Note: I have applied for this OCS program way back on AUG2019, just boarded on MAR2020 per Fleet processor.
My Navy contract (EAOS) ends on 28JUL2020, but I have to fly out to Washington no later than 26JUN2020 to meet the required 20 processing days, now plus 15-day required quarantine period, to a total of 35 days for processing separation.
With these in context, I only have two months left to settle every necessary checkout stuff in order for my pregnant wife not to worry about. Her due date is on 08JUN2020, and will be unable to do any "physically demanding" tasks, on top of having to take care our then-newborn plus 3-year old daughter.

So, it will be up to me to do the following tasks prior to my flyout date on 26JUN2020:

-Getting our dog ready for ship out (health certs, kennel, records, coordinating with pet shipper, etc.)
-Processing for early HHG pick-up (difficult task at the moment since I do not have orders right now, but I am on the process of getting an alternative for orders)
-Processing for moving out from onbase housing to offbase housing (currently working with Kadena Housing to allow us to move offbase, because once I flyout, our only support system is my mother-in-law who lives in nearby Miyako island. With offbase, no worries regarding "onbase access restrictions", especially with the whole COVID scenario)
-Processing for my wife, daughter, and newborn's Japanese permanent residency, she has to sadly "revoke" it per Japan's guideline since she came back to Okinawa under SOFA status. A situation not made known to us)
-Processing for wife, daughter, and newborn's Japanese tourist visa - in case getting back her permanent residency is a prolonged task.
-Processing and selling POVs x 2
-Cleaning, packing, our household goods
-Processing for medical/separation appointments, etc.

Before the FRAGO-4 in Okinawa was released "stating that ALL REGULAR leave are banned for 120 days", our plan was to used up all my available leave of 47 days before my flyout date in 26JUN2020. I purposefully saved those leave days for my separation.
Another reason, I cannot "extend" my months past the JUL2020 Navy contract, even if it was offered to me, is that my grad school start date starts on AUG2020. Pursuing a graduate-level education full-time, the minimum required time, is the only reason why I am separating in the first place. To boost my chances in future officer application package, if not selected in said OCS application.
We would love and respectfully request if there are loopholes of taking "regular leave". Per the instruction, our situation may also warrant an "emergency leave"? Please advise, my supervisor mentioned that just utilizing our port-starboard liberty rotation is enough. But I do not thing he/she understands my family's situation. Hoping to hear the best course of action. Thank you

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
We would love and respectfully request if there are loopholes of taking "regular leave". Per the instruction, our situation may also warrant an "emergency leave"?

Why wait until Monday? Ask your chain of command today - I wouldn't wait 2-3 days. As far as leave goes, people can take leave... it just needs to be routed to the first Flag chain of command. If you already have separation orders on hand, I believe you can still separate "on time" through there's the option to extend if needed.

I should also mention... a lot of schools already are saying it's "iffy" at best they're resuming courses in the fall - so your plan to start grad school.

Finally, call the MNCC. Emails can get lost easily and following up with a phone call can help with the process.

GodisGoodAlways

Trust the Process!
Thank you, I will give them (MNCC) a call tonight. I still do not have orders, since we are awaiting on other stuff before they can process it. However my immediate supervisor was quick to say my leave is "cancelled" per my Director "according to the recent instruction". I will give him a text tonight and probably call him tomorrow.

Last time I've checked with my school, it seems AUG2020 will still be in effect.

taxi1

pilot
I should also mention... a lot of schools already are saying it's "iffy" at best they're resuming courses in the fall - so your plan to start grad school.
Stateside school? What's a the degree? I'd be corresponding with the program early and often to ascertain their plan if the social distancing is lifted or in place.

GodisGoodAlways

Trust the Process!
Will definitely reach out to my last two grad school options. I am debating between Univ of Maryland and William and Mary. However my family's concern is more on the leave side before pre-separation. That is our major stressors, I do not think with all the liberty (weekend and port-starboard) is enough on the huge tasks we have, as a family, at hand.

taxi1

pilot
FYI, right now grad schools are in a pinch as they are anticipating foreign students not being able to travel into country due to travel bans. That leaves them looking for US citizens. Should open up assistant options, etc.

What kind of major? Not engineering, I take, with W&M listed.

GodisGoodAlways

Trust the Process!
MBA program, and as far as I know, travel for me will not be a problem since it will be through the AMC flight, via separation orders.

taxi1

pilot
You'll be fine with travel as a citizen. Expect them to ask you to quarantine, of course.

I'd put the probability of on-line classes in the Fall at 50% or higher at the moment, at both schools.

GodisGoodAlways

Trust the Process!
Correct me if I am wrong, "terminal leave" only applicable after I signed my separation papers, right? Anything before that would have to be the other type of leave? I cannot categorized my pre-separation leave as "terminal leave"? Please advise, I am trying to find a loophole on the ban for regular leave. Thank you.

exNavyOffRec

You'll be fine with travel as a citizen. Expect them to ask you to quarantine, of course.

I'd put the probability of on-line classes in the Fall at 50% or higher at the moment, at both schools.

Yep, several are already saying they will be online only for the fall term.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
OP, good luck with all your challenges and efforts. Be prepared for more change. Several schools are not reopening in the fall because of the expected cold weather return of COVID-19 combined with the lack of a vaccine. Harvard, Boston University, Arizona, and one of the San Diego “twins” are already in planning to shut down another semester. Your school choices are good as both of them are state funded...but I would go W&M over Maryland any day of the week.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Not really a help to your overall question, but, I am currently doing the online MBA with W&M and highly recommend it! Great faculty, great classes and extremely helpful with military situations. Good luck!