• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anthros?? Too short??

Status
Not open for further replies.

spidrwmn

I have been looking over the Navy/aviation med. page ( for NFO) and I was curious about the leg length, butt to knee length, etc. I am only 4'10" and most of those measurements seem kind of high. My recruiter doesn't seem to think it will be a problem,but it seems kind of odd. Any thoughts on the subject?

Dave Shutter

Spiderwmn...to that effect, me and Vicki have been chatting now that she's fnished the bulk or her OCS studies and I mentioned you, she said she'll definitely talk with you...she's at: victoriawildman@hotmail.com

BTW, she's also available for any questions regarding muscle-cars, mixed drinks and vetrinary medicine...which reminds me John, how's the dog doing?

D

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The dog is doing great (Darwin -- survival of the fittest! :), can't believe he made it from when we found him at near death 9 months ago. Definitely a different dog now, got rid of the heart worms, and got him all patched up, now he is a lively good humored little dachshund. We think he is about 7 years old. Cost me more $$ than I want to think about putting him back together. But the kids and the whole family love him, can't believe anybody would have abandoned him. Smart little guy. The only sad thing is, that he has absolutely no concept or insterest in any dog toys, or playing fetch, etc... One day we were outside, I was washing the car, and I turned around and he had a rock, and was playing with it, kicking it around with his paws, picking it up. I guess it was a poor dogs toy when he was out on the streets of Corpus. But you can't get him to play with a regular ball. Otherwise he is doing great, need to put up a picture of him.

As for short NFO's, definitely a bunch of short ones walking around the halls of VP30, I would imagine that Vicki would have all the info on that.

spidrwmn

Thanks for all the help. I e-mailed vicki ( thanks for the suggestion!!). I had another question to add. Does anyone know if allergies effect getting an aviation slot ( NFO). I am allergic to the usual things ( cats, trees, bushes, etc) and have taken claritin on and off for a number of years. Will this be a problem??

nickou23

This may seem like hearsay, but I read somewhere that They were actually allowing pilots to take claratin and allegra now. Personally, I mentioned when I got my NAMI physical at ACES a couple of weeks ago that I had had mild seasonal hay feaver. They just took an extra X-Ray of my sinuses to see for themselves. I assume they were looking for something specific to determine severity. Basically I guess I'm saying that from what I understand it CAN be a problem, but it depends on how bad it is.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Nick, what they were looking for was to see if you had possible scarring from a ruptured sinus. If you did and did not have your wings, NPQ would be affixed to your medical jacket. If you had your wings and were dumb enough to let the doctors xray your noggin, you can be "downed for up to a year!" I've said it before and I'll say it again, never volunteer any info. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

nickou23

Frumby, Yep, lets chalk that one up to naivete, been lucky so far, but seen a couple of guys get the NPQ.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
On the question of being too short, like Matt expressed, NFO's who are short and or light weight can easily fly in a P-3 or a E-2 but never(I should'nt use that word) anything with an ejection seat. There is a very sad video of an EA-6B "stripping" the 3 wire out of the deck and going off the front of the angle deck. All 4 persons shelled out but in the EA6 there is separation ejection .4secs after the handle is pulled starting with ECMO 3(behind pilot)at 0.0 secs ECMO 2 at 0.4, ECMO 1 0.8 and PILOT 1.2 secs. In this particular aircraft, ECMO 3 is 5'4" 115 lbs, the Pilot was 6'4" 225 lbs. ECMO 3 travelled much higher then the pilot and the video shows the pilot in his first swing of the chute when ECMO 3's seat falls directly into the pilots head, killing him instantly. That is one of the big reasons so much emphasis is placed on NFO's weight and height requirements. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
From what I understand and I'm no Doctor, it is a separation of the mucous membrane from the skeletal cavity. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Status
Not open for further replies.