• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anthros Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMan

I'm trying to go into Marine Aviation and I just had my initial Flight Physical last week. I've got several questions especially about anthros:

Here's my anthros measurement:

Sitting Height: 34" (Navy Std: 32-41")
Functional Reach: 30" (Navy: 28" min.)
Buttock-Leg Length: 39" (Navy: 36-50")
Buttock-Knee Length: 22" (Navy: 21.9-28")
Trunk Height: 24"
Shoulder width: 19"
Height: 64.5" (USMC Std: 66" min.)

1. How often are we measured for anthros? Every time we take a flight physical (Short Form and Long Form)? or just the Long Form?

2. Does it look like I pass all the requiremnts? I'm kinda concerned about my BKL, which is 22", just a little more than the 21.9". The measurement was done by a tape while I sat on an ordinary chair, not very precise. My question is what if I fail when they take it with the computer at NAMI at API? Can I get a waiver for that?

3. This question is for Major Frumby and those familiar with Marine Aviation: I'm 64.5" tall and according to the physical std on the NAMI site, I have to be 66" minimum to be a SNA? Anyone know if they stictly enforce that? Again, can I get a waiver?

Thank you for answering in advance.

DMan

Jeff

I wouldn't worry to much about anthros because you can do nothing about them. Your overall height should not be a factor, the min. is just saying that the average 66" person will meet standards and if you are below this you may not qualify. I can think of three or four marines here in Meridian that I know are below the 66" mark. As far as being remeasured I am not sure, I have not been tested since my initial physical and have had two short forms since. As for your BKL I have no idea, I am assuming that the measurements you had done were done by a recruiter. As far as those lengths go, they are strictly a preliminary screening. As I said before, so long as you are within standards for each overall measurement, you will not have a problem with the overall height. Best of luck.

DMan

Jeff,

Thanks for your reply (and the one about BDCP). I did talk to several pilots (Marine Corps) and they said I should be okay and the measurements, like most everything, are waiverable. BTW, the AV Tech at the flight physical did the measurements.

A year and a half of service and 45 days of leave when you go in? It's really a great deal! Too bad I already have a degree.

I understand that you're going through flight training in Meridian. What stage and pipeline are you in? How're all the trainings going so far? I'm reading this book called Air Warriors: The Making of a Navy Pilot. Is it pretty close to what you're going through?

DMan

dawgfighter

Dude,
No pertinent information, but the book you mentioned is good. Better yet, off the chain. When you are done reading that or while you are reading it, have 'Bogey's and Bandits' by Robert Gandt. That one is also really good.
I have a couple of questions to ask you about how they measured the your sitting height. Did they use a tape or did you have to sit under something (kinda like the measuring tool on a scale but shorter, I hope I didn't confuse you there)? That is my main concern because I have a somewhat short torso for someone that is 65". Also is the functional reach measured up to the tip of your thumb or longest finger?

Thanks,

Erin
GO NAVY!!!

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
2 things....
Function reach: longest extension with index finger and thumb touching

Measurments and NOMI are not the final say either. On several occassions NOMI has "messed up." Some student aviators were told they were NPQ'd for certain aircraft only to find out that it wasn't true when measured by the Naval Aviation Schools Command flight physiologist.

Status
Not open for further replies.