• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AnthroNerd & Jack of all Trades: How "Marketable" am I to OCS/SWO?

Junglebambii78

Junglebambii78
Hello!

New member. Wanted to ask if y'all could take a look at my background and see which areas of the Navy I could best serve in! I've done a lot of everything prior to my decision of heading to the Navy both academically and professionally. I wanted to take it to the next level and use my experience in the Navy. However, the career paths offered seem great, but I also feel lost because idk how I'd "fit in." I learned that there was a cultural research dept. in the Navy but apparently they disbanded it earlier this year :/ So Im trying to figure out what exactly to do. I have a solid background in physical (biological) anthropology and is marketable in the civilian sector in:

Cultural Resources Mgmt.
Human Resources
Diversity & Inclusion
Financial Analysis (habits/research)
Forensic Science

I actually wanted to join SWO but didnt really know how exactly I'd fit in...

Bachelors: Baylor Psych and Anthropology c/o '15: Cumulative GPA: 3.1
Masters: Texas Tech Physical Anthropology, Forensics Minorc/o '21: GPA: 3.9
Next Aspiration: Law school & Navy Officer

-work experience: commercial/industrial property management
-national anthropology honors society, VA volunteer internships, civic leadership orgs

I've done a lot because Ive wanted to do it all- but how does that play into my marketability in the Navy, and where would I best fit in?

Thanks so much for any insight :)

Junglebambii78

Junglebambii78
Im confused by your percentages...? What does that mean?
And I'm new on here- I thought I had to post my thread to relevant forums so I did one for each. Can everyone see my post no matter which forum I put it in?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
If you are going to Law School then Judge Advocate General is the way to go. If you are hoping to hoping to serve your nation and later go to law school then SWO or any number of options are good. Your academic background really isn’t that important as a junior officer primarily because the Navy will train you in the skill set you select. Your grades, of course, are an indication of your ability to learn.

You will get a lot of snarky messages along the way if you use these pages. Most here are professionals and many are well into a second (or third) career. They expect you to do some research, both externally and even within these pages. Don’t let them put you off if you really want this.

Last thing, go where you want to go and go there with a desire to serve your nation. Aviators will make fun of SWOs, Marines make fun of everyone and everyone makes fun of Marines. Submariners...well no one knows about them. None of it matters because where it counts they all work together. All of this is to say that it is not about fit, it is about duty and doing the job you are assigned well.

NevarYalnal

Age also matters, most designators cap out at 32 or thereabouts. assuming you go straight to law school right after finishing your masters in 2021, you'd be getting pretty close to that ceiling, assuming you got your bachelors at 22. you might be able to get in one set of applications before needing an age waiver for subsequent rounds.

if you want sub duty, pretty sure you need to apply now as that's a cap of 29 (up to 31 for prior-service).

Junglebambii78

Junglebambii78
The better question is what do YOU want to do? Who cares what is "marketable" or "looks good" on a "resume." What will you be happy doing for four to six years? Once you figure that out, then go apply for it.

You're welcome :)

Idk if you can't tell I'm all over the place XD But one thing IS FOR SURE- I am definitely going for "it" whatever it is. I appreciate you telling me that because I've had recruiters tell me that my majors didnt exactly fit into their categories of usefulness, so I felt like I wouldn't be as marketable... but I get that a lot from people who don't truly know the usefulness of anthropology in diverse fields. So thanks for the encouragement.

Yeah, actually that's a good way to think about things. I definitely have had my eye on the SWO or the Navy Diver positions (although I am a former competitive swimmer, but Idk if I have the stamina to become a Navy Diver. Ive seen grown, able men fail those trainings- yikes).

Most of all I know based on my backgrounds I would make a good SWO. But I also know that I'd be good at HR and do feel content with that as well. I guess it just depends. I'll do some more research and go for it.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Idk if you can't tell I'm all over the place XD But one thing IS FOR SURE- I am definitely going for "it" whatever it is. I appreciate you telling me that because I've had recruiters tell me that my majors didnt exactly fit into their categories of usefulness, so I felt like I wouldn't be as marketable... but I get that a lot from people who don't truly know the usefulness of anthropology in diverse fields. So thanks for the encouragement.

Yeah, actually that's a good way to think about things. I definitely have had my eye on the SWO or the Navy Diver positions (although I am a former competitive swimmer, but Idk if I have the stamina to become a Navy Diver. Ive seen grown, able men fail those trainings- yikes).

Most of all I know based on my backgrounds I would make a good SWO. But I also know that I'd be good at HR and do feel content with that as well. I guess it just depends. I'll do some more research and go for it.
I feel like you are over thinking this. I only know one SWO (out of hundreds I have met) that had a degree in Maritime Operations. Many aviators on this site never flew a day until they got to flight school (my degree was in History!). It is not about your “fit” with reference to your resume or civilian education, it is about your willingness to serve and the needs of the navy.

Junglebambii78

Junglebambii78
Age also matters, most designators cap out at 32 or thereabouts. assuming you go straight to law school right after finishing your masters in 2021, you'd be getting pretty close to that ceiling, assuming you got your bachelors at 22. you might be able to get in one set of applications before needing an age waiver for subsequent rounds.

if you want sub duty, pretty sure you need to apply now as that's a cap of 29 (up to 31 for prior-service).

I graduated at 22 but went to work for 3 years in CPM and went to grad school '19 and I'm 27 right now. So If I were to go for any officer position I'd have to be 29 by the time of commissioning. I know I pushed Navy back (and I regret) that but I just didn't know all my options and didnt know any better, unfortunately. Great thing is there's still a little time.

How hard is it to get an age waiver?

Junglebambii78

Junglebambii78
I feel like you are over thinking this. I only know one SWO (out of hundreds I have met) that had a degree in Maritime Operations. Many aviators on this site never flew a day until they got to flight school (my degree was in History!). It is not about your “fit” with reference to your resume or civilian education, it is about your willingness to serve and the needs of the navy.
I tend to overthink a lot. I like to learn everything I can before going for something and I do admit that has contributed to my delay. Nonetheless my inherent passion is there, and thank you for helping me re-approach my thought process behind that.

NevarYalnal

you would need to talk to an officer recruiter to see what is feasible in terms of age waivers. you should review the program authorizations for the various officer designators to get your timeline in order as they all list age limits as well as any other qualifications.

Junglebambii78

Junglebambii78
If you are going to Law School then Judge Advocate General is the way to go. If you are hoping to hoping to serve your nation and later go to law school then SWO or any number of options are good. Your academic background really isn’t that important as a junior officer primarily because the Navy will train you in the skill set you select. Your grades, of course, are an indication of your ability to learn.

You will get a lot of snarky messages along the way if you use these pages. Most here are professionals and many are well into a second (or third) career. They expect you to do some research, both externally and even within these pages. Don’t let them put you off if you really want this.

Last thing, go where you want to go and go there with a desire to serve your nation. Aviators will make fun of SWOs, Marines make fun of everyone and everyone makes fun of Marines. Submariners...well no one knows about them. None of it matters because where it counts they all work together. All of this is to say that it is not about fit, it is about duty and doing the job you are assigned well.
grateful

Thank you. This helps me reframe my thought process on my intentions. It's not about fit, its about commitment to that I WANT to do as an officer and HOW I can do that for the US Navy.
and yeah, I gathered that from earlier comments up there lol thanks for the heads up.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
you would need to talk to an officer recruiter to see what is feasible in terms of age waivers. you should review the program authorizations for the various officer designators to get your timeline in order as they all list age limits as well as any other qualifications.
I'm not sure why this is an issue. At 27 there is plenty of time to apply. The issue is simple...stop looking and start doing.