• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another question

Superclub

pilot
If I do end up enlisted what nuke rate should I go for in boot? I understand that you put them in the order you would prefer, or do you have no control over the selection?

Bevo16

pilot
MM has the shortest A school (fastest to E-4). EM is a few weeks longer. ET is at least twice as long of an A school. MM also has the lowest flunk out rate. ET also has the highest suicide attempt rate, in A school at least. I think that evens out in power school (the suicide thing, not fluking out). MM's are more likley to flunk out in power school.

I would not go back to that world if it paid a million dollars a year.

Country Boy

Proud Father
Bevo said:
MM has the shortest A school (fastest to E-4). EM is a few weeks longer. ET is at least twice as long of an A school. MM also has the lowest flunk out rate. ET also has the highest suicide attempt rate, in A school at least. I think that evens out in power school (the suicide thing, not fluking out). MM's are more likley to flunk out in power school.

I would not go back to that world if it paid a million dollars a year.
EM is only one week shorter than ET. As far as which one to go for, it depends on what kind of watch you want to stand and what kind of maintenance you want to be doing (i.e. filling out paperwork or actually getting your hands dirty).
And don't worry about all that suicide crap, it's all BS now that the school is easier, just a bunch of 18 and 19 year old kids in the process of growing up while doing all the schoolwork (a considerable amount) at the same time.

Bevo16

pilot
Country Boy said:
And don't worry about all that suicide crap, it's all BS now that the school is easier, just a bunch of 18 and 19 year old kids in the process of growing up while doing all the schoolwork (a considerable amount) at the same time.

I would like to know what changes they made to the course work. Did they do it to try and reduce the stress level that was causing all the carnage?

Suicide was a big problem when I was there. There were something like 240 attempts made the year I was at NNPTC in Orlando. The night before I started power school, 3 members of my section (about 35 students) tried to kill themselves. While I was in between schools, I found a guy in his quad lounge that had cut his wrists, another that had OD'd on pills, and a guy blew his head off with a shotgun in the mall parking lot that was across the street. Granted, most of the "suicide attempts" were nothing more than efforts to get out of the program. The stress level there did push some of those 18-19 year old kids over the edge.

The Navy that I have grown to love is nothing like the Nuclear Navy of the mid 90's. Those guys did not give a **** about their people, and were the most cutthroat, backstabbing, jerk-offs that I have ever come across in my life. I hope for the sake of the kids in the program now that they have cleaned up their act and fixed that program. When I was there, it was broken.

boobcheese

Not that it was a common occurence for people to try to commit suicide, we did have a guy try to off himself by drinking bleach. There is a good reason why this is not a common means of commiting suicide.:( The preffered method for people to get out when I was there (98'-99') seemed to be dropping a rainbow chit.
Oh, and to answer your question go MM and try to get picked up for ELT.

Country Boy

Proud Father
Bevo said:
I would like to know what changes they made to the course work. Did they do it to try and reduce the stress level that was causing all the carnage?

Suicide was a big problem when I was there. There were something like 240 attempts made the year I was at NNPTC in Orlando. The night before I started power school, 3 members of my section (about 35 students) tried to kill themselves. While I was in between schools, I found a guy in his quad lounge that had cut his wrists, another that had OD'd on pills, and a guy blew his head off with a shotgun in the mall parking lot that was across the street. Granted, most of the "suicide attempts" were nothing more than efforts to get out of the program. The stress level there did push some of those 18-19 year old kids over the edge.

The Navy that I have grown to love is nothing like the Nuclear Navy of the mid 90's. Those guys did not give a **** about their people, and were the most cutthroat, backstabbing, jerk-offs that I have ever come across in my life. I hope for the sake of the kids in the program now that they have cleaned up their act and fixed that program. When I was there, it was broken.
The coursework is now printed out and handed to the students with blanks where they have to write in a sentence or two each page. There's no more furious scribbling to keep up with the notes. The responsibility of getting through the program now lies more on the instructors than on the students. Don't get me wrong, the school is still hard, but the atmosphere is much different and there is a lot more help. The majority of suicide attempts now are the fake attempts to get out of the program.

Bevo16

pilot
Country Boy said:
The coursework is now printed out and handed to the students with blanks where they have to write in a sentence or two each page. There's no more furious scribbling to keep up with the notes. The responsibility of getting through the program now lies more on the instructors than on the students. Don't get me wrong, the school is still hard, but the atmosphere is much different and there is a lot more help. The majority of suicide attempts now are the fake attempts to get out of the program.

I am glad that they made some changes to try and turn things around there. It was a mess 10 years ago.

I still would rather be on taking off from the flight deck than 100 feet below pushing the ship through the water.

Country Boy

Proud Father
Bevo said:
I am glad that they made some changes to try and turn things around there. It was a mess 10 years ago.

I still would rather be on taking off from the flight deck than 100 feet below pushing the ship through the water.
I heard the horror stories about "back when I went through" from a lot of the instructors and guys I worked with. It didn't sound like too much fun. Although I will say that the back-stabbing and all that is still there, it just happens later and not while you're in school.

2NFO's

Any rate you choose is a good choice. The job discription of each rate should be what you base your choice on...ie turning a wrench during your off time as an MM. The nuke pipe line is a great way to get picked up for an officer program if you choose to that route. Good luck.

Sub King

I went to Power School in Orlando back in 98' (class 9804), and I don't rememeber hearing about any suicides. Maybe I didn't pay attention or maybe I didn't care, but it never seemed to happen. Occasionally what I called at the time "raincoat warriors" (people who didn't care about maintaining the uniform would wear raincoats to cover themselves while it was 95 degrees with 100% humidity) would try and act crazy to get out of the Navy, but it never seemed to work all that well. I do remember quite a few bombs threats though, of which all of them were called in by students worrying about the next day's test. That definitely sucked getting awakened by the alarm and sitting outside the barracks for an hour and half at 0300.

To answer your question Black Days, I think you are more or less voluntold what rate you're going into based upon the Nuke test scores. I was a MM(ELT) and liked being able to walk around on watch, a luxury many of the EM's and ET's didn't have being in the box all the time. Go Subs if you get the chance.

And IMO the whole difficulty of school and its supposed corresponding suicide rate didn't seem to be a factor. Power school just wasn't that hard. You're told what to do, when to do it, and almost always how to do it. I did some significant partying in Power school and still came out with a decent 3.3 GPA. In any case, if you liked playing "Magic" and "Dungeons and Dragons" when you were little then you might want to go with EM or ET. Just jokin Twidgets and Wire rates.
:D

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
Have you thought about any other non-nuke rates? Conventional ET and FC are good. AW would be another that I would check out. There are a lot of different jobs out there, just make sure that you look at all of them and take the one that really interests you, it'll pay big dividends later on.

Superclub

pilot
I have looked at other rates and a lot look very interesting I have chosen nuke. What if you didn't take the nuke test and scored well enough on ASVAB to not have to take the seperate nuke test? Unless there's one at boot that you take after MEPS?

Sub King

Hmmm..... Haven't heard that they have taken out the NFQT as a requirement but who knows. And as far as waiving the requirement due to a high test score, I got a 98 and had to take it. I've never heard of a nuke not taking it, and no you don't necessarily take it at boot camp unless you changed your mind while you were there. I took the NFQT at the recruiter's office. I would definitely do a little researching on that one before you sign papers.