• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another NROTC Essay post

reece

I know this place is littered with these... but I really want to get some personalized feedback from people who are in this business and have been through the process. I am applying for the NROTC scholarship. I'll start in January as a College Programmer if I don't get selected. Here's what I've got:

I was at Radioshack with my dad one day when I was 10. I admired him, of course, but the camo uniform he wore hadn’t meant much to me until a whole family approached him and shook his hand. “Thank you for your service”, they all said gratefully. It was this day that I was enlightened to the true honor and value of serving this great nation.

From that day on, I knew I was going to become part of something larger than myself. I thrive on teams and combined efforts to achieve a common goal. Something I love is finding my niche and putting everything I have into being the best at it. I get great satisfaction knowing that I was a key player in reaching our objective.

When I was 17, I attained my first leadership position in the workplace. The person I became when I was entrusted with the responsibility of overseeing and commanding a crew surprised me. I became more distinguished and could make decisions confidently. Playing this role on the team made me realize the potential I have to become a strong leader for a more valuable purpose.

The US Navy is among the most noble organizations on the planet. As an officer, I will have the opportunity to discover and master my niche and execute it with dignity and confidence. Whether that niche be on an aircraft, a ship, or a sub, my nature will not let me settle with mediocrity. I am wired to compete with myself to constantly raise the bar higher so that I may lead people by example. Leaders should lead from the front with actions, not from the back with instructions.

I am an ambitious person. Once my sights have been set, there isn’t much that can distract me. I become obsessed with the objective in mind, and I would almost go so far as to say I become emotionally involved with it. “I won’t let you down, baby,” I sometimes whisper to my goal. I’m motivated to satisfy my aim, no matter the price on the tag.

The showcased item at this time in my life is a career as a Naval Officer. I have spent countless hours reading, thinking, and dreaming about it. I will not be deterred from it, discouraged from it, or dissuaded from it. I am eagerly waiting to tackle whatever challenges are presented to me, because these challenges are what bring out the nobility in all of us. A collective cause of old fashioned American greatness is the ultimate purpose to work for. This target has been locked on and I am hungrily anticipating the Navy’s permission to fire

Do you think I showed why the Navy needs someone like me?
Will the review board appreciate the comic relief I threw in?

Please give me some feedback on what I can improve on and whatnot. I'm not sensitive so don't be afraid to tell me it sucks. Thanks in advance guys!

Reece