• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another flight surgeon question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpc

I just recieved word that I was accepted for the Navy HPSP(health professions scholarship program) and have some questions about flight surgeons. I did a search on the board and google and couldn't really find out what I was looking for.

Do flight surgeons actually get to fly or do they just go for rides?

And how do pilots percieve flight surgeons(I am sure this depends on the doc, but generally)?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Doc's do not get to go take out an aircraft. THey do get brought along on flights, and if it is an a/c with dual controls, they usually get a little bit of stick time.

As far as how they are percieved. I have encountered 2 types so far. Those who look for ways to down you and those who do everything they can to keep you flying.
You can imagine which doc people are more likely to seek help from, vice just gutting it out and possibly making things worse.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
cpc said:
I just recieved word that I was accepted for the Navy HPSP(health professions scholarship program) and have some questions about flight surgeons. I did a search on the board and google and couldn't really find out what I was looking for.

Do flight surgeons actually get to fly or do they just go for rides?

And how do pilots percieve flight surgeons(I am sure this depends on the doc, but generally)?

Flight Surgeons are required to fly as part of their duties, I think they actually have to get a certain number of hours every year. The flight surgeons that I have dealt with are generally considered a fellow member of the squadron and were well liked. The more they were over in the squadron the better they got along with everyone. Our flight docs had to actually be in the squadron spaces one or two days a week but most made the effort to be there more often. I have known some aloof docs though and they were not 'one of the guys' as much. It is basically up to the doc on how much more than the minimum he or she will do. If they do more they will probably be much more 'one of the guys' than someone who does the bare minimum and is hardly ever around.

Good luck in school and have fun.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
There's a flight doc syllabus for initial training... we had several running around VT-10. It's like a watered-down SNFO primary syllabus-- something like 10 flights in the T-6. They do several fam-type flights at the controls, then one or two on instruments, and a couple more to show spatial disorientation type stuff. More of an 'ooh and ahh' pilot-appreciation syllabus. I think they're required to have 4 flight hours per month... we regularly have them hop on in the back of the T-39 here. The braver ones get in the T-2.

Don't take any of this as gospel... just what I remember from BS'ing with a bunch of flight doc types who were doing their thing in VT-10.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I was in flight school, there were 2 flight surgeons doing the full jet program with my class, they received their Pilot wings after CQ. They told us that this was not the norm for flight surgeons, but there are occassionally a few flight surgeons who do complete the whole program before being stationed at NAMI/NOMI. Again, this isn't the norm, but some do get their pilot wings.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HooverPilot said:
When I was in flight school, there were 2 flight surgeons doing the full jet program with my class, they received their Pilot wings after CQ. They told us that this was not the norm for flight surgeons, but there are occassionally a few flight surgeons who do complete the whole program before being stationed at NAMI/NOMI. Again, this isn't the norm, but some do get their pilot wings.
Yeah, we had one of those types in Prowlerland. He was actually a really good stick because he was a SERGRAD type as well. The thing was that he was only promised one real flying tour as a pilot, so after that he became a huge pain in everyone's ass because he thought he was entitled to fly and stay current. I guess I don't blame him, but...

Brett

asise

It really tied the room together.
What qualifications did those flight surgeons (who actually flew) have that the other docs did not? It seems strange that the Navy would invest money training them to fly when they are already paying them for their medical training.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm guessing that it was the standard Navy qual to go to flight school, Right place at the right time.

On the serious side, I'm sure they had some sort of background to lend towards the research they would be doing.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
asise said:
What qualifications did those flight surgeons (who actually flew) have that the other docs did not? It seems strange that the Navy would invest money training them to fly when they are already paying them for their medical training.
I'm not sure how they got into that particular billet, but the guy was already a FS and they sent him all the way through flight school just like any other pilot (to include CQ and wings). This guy went to an expeditionary Prowler squadron, so I'm pretty sure he didn't CQ in the RAG.

Brett

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
HooverPilot said:
I'm guessing that it was the standard Navy qual to go to flight school, Right place at the right time.

On the serious side, I'm sure they had some sort of background to lend towards the research they would be doing.

Hoov, I was just done with Intermediates when one of those guys was finishing Primary in 27 with me. I talked to him one day. Way he told it, he was at some hoity-toity (did I spell that right?) dinner and started chatting with some big-wig from CNATRA and mentioned his dream to qualify as an NA. The big-shot asked if he was serious, he said yes, there you have it.

But just to reiterate, exception, not rule.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
Hoov, I was just done with Intermediates when one of those guys was finishing Primary in 27 with me. I talked to him one day. Way he told it, he was at some hoity-toity (did I spell that right?) dinner and started chatting with some big-wig from CNATRA and mentioned his dream to qualify as an NA. The big-shot asked if he was serious, he said yes, there you have it.

But just to reiterate, exception, not rule.
There was a set of identical twins in JAX during the early to mid 90s who were both pilots (P-3) and flight surgeons. Kooky!

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.