• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another BP Question

BRM21o

I'm 23, in good shape, not stressed, do all the breathing exercises during tests, and the doc's recently put me on 30MG of Lisinopril. My brother (29), dad, grandpa, etc all have had high blood pressure issues and are on meds.

My question is, if I go on a hard core diet and eliminate ALL sodium, drop 10-15 pounds, drop my BP to an acceptable range without meds (I'm at about 145-150/85 without meds), can I still be a pilot or is it once your diagnosed with hypertension that's it? I'm going to try for a waiver no matter what, just trying to gauge the chances for success and find out the process for reversing the diagnosis. Thanks!

Also, why are diuretics prescribed to lower BP when I've heard people say to make sure you drink plenty of water before you take a BP test?

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I'm 23, in good shape, not stressed, do all the breathing exercises during tests, and the doc's recently put me on 30MG of Lisinopril. My brother (29), dad, grandpa, etc all have had high blood pressure issues and are on meds.

My question is, if I go on a hard core diet and eliminate ALL sodium, drop 10-15 pounds, drop my BP to an acceptable range without meds (I'm at about 145-150/85 without meds), can I still be a pilot or is it once your diagnosed with hypertension that's it? I'm going to try for a waiver no matter what, just trying to gauge the chances for success and find out the process for reversing the diagnosis. Thanks!

Also, why are diuretics prescribed to lower BP when I've heard people say to make sure you drink plenty of water before you take a BP test?

The more hydrated you are, the more...liquidy(?)...your blood is, which is why you should also hydrate a lot before getting bloodwork done.

Also, I'd recommend starting a good running program if you haven't already. 20-30 minutes of running at least 3 times a week should help keep your BP down.

troxm25

A technique?

I am older than you but in the same situation with BP. Some tricks I found work for me. For the record, my BP is elevated when at the doctors office, not when I self check at home. I am by no means suggesting you trick the system when you have a legitimate health issue.

Kickflip is absolutely correct, the more liquids the higher your BP. Additionally, for a period of time after you workout your BP is naturally lower. I will dehydrate myself and work out for about an hour (aerobic) prior to going to the doctor. I will time the workout so I can hit a shower and travel to the doctors office. My BP is always lower! The only problem is if you have a high resting heart rate you can "bust" the heart rate check. (mine if 46-50bpm) Less fluid = heart working harder

Once again...not suggesting you avoid a legitimate problem, just telling you what I do.