• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

And this is why we have Aircrewmen in helos...

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
More likely he unlocked (or wasn't wearing) his harness to get a better angle. He really needed another dude in the helo or a different approach angle.

Flugelman

Contributor
Interesting how the tail boom failed downward as quickly as it did as soon as the blade impacted something. Some gyroscopic forces, perhaps?

Pags

N/A
pilot
More likely he unlocked (or wasn't wearing) his harness to get a better angle. He really needed another dude in the helo or a different approach angle.

Hard to say without seeing what other obstacles may have been in his way. As hard as it i for us as Naval Helo pilots to fathom, single pilot ops are pretty common on the civie side.

Interesting how the tail boom failed downward as quickly as it did as soon as the blade impacted something. Some gyroscopic forces, perhaps?
As soon as the rotor system hit something the entire drive train either stopped or failed catastrophically at some point. There was probably a lot of torque going through the tail boom that caused it to rip off. Downward is more than likely due to gravity. The tail is heaviest at it's end where all the heavy pieces, like gearboxes and tail rotor system are.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It was pretty amazing to watch the various components of the drivetrain disintegrate and shake themselves apart. Also sounded like the turbine continued to run (albeit under apparent distress) for a bit after all violent motion stopped.

Brett

Flugelman

Contributor
It was pretty amazing to watch the various components of the drivetrain disintegrate and shake themselves apart. Also sounded like the turbine continued to run (albeit under apparent distress) for a bit after all violent motion stopped.

Brett
Just saw it on the cable news here. The clip they ran did indeed show the exhaust from the turbine even as the rescuers were climbing into the cabin.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Just saw it on the cable news here. The clip they ran did indeed show the exhaust from the turbine even as the rescuers were climbing into the cabin.

That's why every so often a squadron gets tapped to give new CFR guys an orientation, and the gouge on where the T-handles are, etc.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Couldn't see if he actually fell free from the bird. My impression was he had the lap belt on but not the shoulder belts?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Couldn't see if he actually fell free from the bird. My impression was he had the lap belt on but not the shoulder belts?

If you look it appears that he ends up in the back of the cabin. I didn't see anyone else in the helo. In fact, it appears the entire seat failed in the impact. You can see him and the seat go backwards.