• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ANCC

senatesnob

Nothing worse than the House of Represenatives
Have any of you found value in joining the Army Navy Country Club? Commissioned almost a year ago and so I don't want to lose out on that sweet deal of no fee/waiting list, but was trying to figure out if it is worth the cash, especially since I'm not posted in DC for the next little bit. Not quite sure if the networking aspect of it is hyped up to sell or maybe it is worth it just for the golf.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Newly Commissioned Info & Application 2019.pdf
    200.3 KB · Views: 52

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
This might be a first time asked question here on AW? Doesn’t happen often.

Never heard of the ANCC and I don’t know of anyone in my 58 years as a dependent, active duty officer and retired officer who is a member of it.

SlickAg

pilot
If you need the membership to get reciprocity privileges on private courses nearby, it could be worth it. What's your situation? Are you going through flight school? If you think you'll end up back in DC in a few years it could be a pretty good deal.

I did it, never really used it until I was stationed in Virginia except a couple of times to get the pro to call a course wherever I was at to get a tee-time.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
As a mostly Oceana guy, I knew a handful of people that did it. All bought in when they were JO's. Heard it was worthwhile.

azguy

None
Never been to ANCC, but had a few friends that were members at the Army Navy Club downtown. Very nice, wasn't worth the money to me (but I was already a LT too).

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Might be an okay hedge as a JO to joinup, but it's really a place where the O5+ crowd goes to play golf and line up their GS/Contractor/Lobbying/etc job after retirement. Are you a "country club" type or really love golf?

Pags

N/A
pilot
  1. Is it your scene (no judgement, honest question)?
  2. Would you get anything from the reciprocity?

A country club can be a nice if you participate in the activities they offer and they have a good clientele and a nice bar/restaurant. It never appealed to me much but my in-laws belong to a small club in their tiny western town because it's pretty much the only thing to do in town. They've got a nice golf course, a decent bar, and other activities like a skeet/trap range and horseback riding. If I lived in that town I'd probably join that club.

If you're the clubby type and you see yourself getting access to other clubs due to reciprocity it could be nice. I spent some.time at the Marine Corps club in San Fran when I was in Monterey. Rooms were cheap and the bar had a good happy hour with a great view. A few years ago I went to a wedding at the Union Club in Chicago which was a fun way to spend a weekend. Walking distance to the mile, several decent bars in house for happy hour, and decent rooms. They had a dress code which seems silly but it was worth it for the weekend experience. Family friends in Chicago are members and get a good deal of use out of it because they work nearby and can go use it for their happy hours, etc.

senatesnob

Nothing worse than the House of Represenatives
  1. Is it your scene (no judgement, honest question)?
  2. Would you get anything from the reciprocity?
A country club can be a nice if you participate in the activities they offer and they have a good clientele and a nice bar/restaurant. It never appealed to me much but my in-laws belong to a small club in their tiny western town because it's pretty much the only thing to do in town. They've got a nice golf course, a decent bar, and other activities like a skeet/trap range and horseback riding. If I lived in that town I'd probably join that club.

If you're the clubby type and you see yourself getting access to other clubs due to reciprocity it could be nice. I spent some.time at the Marine Corps club in San Fran when I was in Monterey. Rooms were cheap and the bar had a good happy hour with a great view. A few years ago I went to a wedding at the Union Club in Chicago which was a fun way to spend a weekend. Walking distance to the mile, several decent bars in house for happy hour, and decent rooms. They had a dress code which seems silly but it was worth it for the weekend experience. Family friends in Chicago are members and get a good deal of use out of it because they work nearby and can go use it for their happy hours, etc.

I do love to play some golf, but not on a daily basis and probably won’t be in a position there for a bit (headed to Japan). Haven’t seen much in reciprocal clubs; I’m sure there there but I haven’t been able to find. More thinking if it is useful as a place long term to bump shoulders with the O4/O5/O6 board types or find maybe find a sweet billet in the meantime

Never really went to a club growing up, more hit the public courses enough they started letting me just walk on for free.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I do love to play some golf, but not on a daily basis and probably won’t be in a position there for a bit (headed to Japan). Haven’t seen much in reciprocal clubs; I’m sure there there but I haven’t been able to find. More thinking if it is useful as a place long term to bump shoulders with the O4/O5/O6 board types or find maybe find a sweet billet in the meantime

Never really went to a club growing up, more hit the public courses enough they started letting me just walk on for free.
I've been a member for 25 years. It's the best deal in country club golf in the DC area, by a long shot. It's especially a good deal if you are out of area, and newly commissioned. 54 holes of golf between the courses in Arlington and Fairfax, gorgeous clubhouse (after a long time of an increasingly decrepit clubhouse in Arlington), and nice pool facilities. Awesome for families/kids - my kids essentially grew up in the summers there, wore them out on the swim/dive team every year. Also great tennis facilities in Arlington.

As far as the networking goes, if that's your thing - lots of opportunities. Amazing who you can meet when you just show up as a single looking to go out. Hit balls on the range 6 feet away from Bill Clinton once - way closer than you would think they'd let anyone. Also played directly behind him once; Secret Service would stand out in the fairway to make sure I didn't hit into him. (Long ball hitter, the Lama.)

There is no reciprocity with other clubs with ANCC, although if you were going overseas to the UK you could get a letter of introduction from the pro (required/desirable at some British courses.) It's the Army-Navy Club downtown that has the good reciprocity deals with clubs all over the country and the world - I've milked that benefit pretty hard. But there is no relationship between the clubs - completely separate memberships. (But equally good deals for newly commissioned.)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I was drilling in London I was introduced to the three big military clubs there, The Army and Navy Club (The Rag), The In and Out Naval and Military Club ( so called because in the 19th century the carriages ran so frequently through the gates), and The Victory Services Club. All are located in prime central London real estate. No golf, they are old school private social clubs with guest rooms, dining, business centers, gym and one, a pool. The bars, libraries and lounges are way cool. I never joined but was in for beers and gin a couple times. Foreign military, active, reserve, and vets may join and the dues are not bad, appropriate for an active duty salary. I think VSC is something like 30 pounds to join and 15 pounds a month. Room rates are reasonable for central London. I think it would be worth it to join for a week or more stay in London just so you can make a room rez and experience the setting and history. Hell, the Army and Navy Club's first member was the Old Iron Duke himself. Refused to join the original Army Club until they admitted Navy and Marine officers.

I worked at a very exclusive country club as a kid. I don't have any desire to join such a club. Not a golfer or tennis player anyway. But these places are dripping history, elegance, and dare I say, testosterone. All three have extensive reciprocal agreements all over the world from Dubai to South Africa. Some have golf. Some are yachting/sailing clubs. The In and Out has a reciprocal with the ANC. A guy that worked for me at NAVEUR in London was a rep for McConnell Douglas promoting the F-18 to former soviet block countries in the mid 90s. Based in Warsaw Poland,he was a member of one of these clubs and would have meetings at them and their reciprocals all over Europe.

https://therag.co.uk/the-club/history/
https://www.theinandout.co.uk/web/pages/home
https://www.vsc.co.uk/