• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

An Introduction

Gearhead

Hi all,

I’ve lurked around the threads for a while now. I started looking into the Navy to fulfill my desire to serve, gain leadership experience and see the world, hopefully. The countless hours on AW/Google/SailorBob/ former Officers led me to apply SWO.

I have diversified interests ranging from anything construction/building/engineering related to fishing/camping/bouldering to website design/anything Adobe platform related to engine overhauling.

I’m going to be blunt, I dual degreed in Fine Art/Art Education at KU. I’ve always been good at building and fixing things and I figured that field would satisfy that need somehow. I managed to get in to some reputable exhibitions and magazines, but it wasn’t me. As far as Ed. goes, the combination of the recession forcing schools to cut non-STEM programs and the realization that I didn’t enjoy spending 8 hours a day with 25-30 children put the nail in the coffin.

In college, I ran on the track team for Kutztown University. I specialized in anything with [400m] in front of it (400m open, 400m hurdles, 4x400m relay, and occasionally 110m hurdles). In my Junior year, I won the Division II PSAC title in the 400m Hurdles.

I’ve been an assistant manager at a True Value for roughly 6 years, half of the time was while in school. It’s been a great opportunity for managerial/leadership experience among other skill sets.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter that starts with OCS on April 27th.

That pretty much sums it up for now, so, Hello!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That pretty much sums it up for now, so, Hello!
And hello to you, Gearhead, congrats on selection for OCS. Interesting resume, to say the least. Help me out... er, what is "bouldering"? My mental picture is, like... throwing big stones like the Scotsmen do, at the Highland Games; and what is the sports team mascot for good ol' Kutztown U?

Good luck on your SWO journey!:)
BzB

Gearhead

Thanks R1, I'm excited to be on board!

BzB- Thanks! Kutztown is home to the Golden Bears. The mascot used to be the Golden Avalanche until the 1960's when it was first retitled.

Ha, bouldering is rock climbing but without ropes or harness. I don't do anything too crazy, but my 6'5" frame and 80" wingspan, it lends itself to being able to reach distant grab points. I worked at a summer camp one year north of Fresno in the Sierra Nevadas. On our time off, I went with a group of counselors to Courtright Reservoir to do some bouldering, it was definitely a rush. I've done it a couple times since then, not in the past year or so though.
What do you do in your off time?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What do you do in your off time?
Lol.. at my age, I can guarantee it isn't "bouldering" , mostly napping, and trying to share my NA experience(s) with y'all 'newbies' on AW. Glad you have a sense of humour, it is a definite asset, and will serve you well in the Navy.;)

OBTW, I'm familiar with KFAT, I'm a FSU Bulldog Alum!:)
BzB

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
A hearty welcome to AWs, Gearhead!

I'm new here as well.

Also, congratulations regarding acceptance to OCS...GOOD TIMES!

:D

azguy

None
Welcome man, we'll see you in the fleet this summer! Hit me up if you have any SWO questions.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Awesome, congrats! Stay out of trouble and prepare physically/mentally for OCS. Oh and check in with your recruiter every so often!

Gearhead

Hey guys, thanks for all the support! I've cranked up training a bit, I didn't want to over train while waiting for orders. The rank structures(Navy/Marine) devices/boards/insignias are going to drive me nuts.
Mad dog- I cannot explain how excited I am to go through OCS. Knowing that it's going to be a such a challenge was the big selling point, and of course, commissioning at the end, if I'm deemed worthy.
AZ- I know that I will have a good list for you before I'm done at Newport. My first OR(retired in Sep'13) was a SWO and it seemed like most of my general questions were answered with "it depends," which I understand now since there are so many variables in the SWO pipeline. Right now, I am just hoping to make it to OCS without any injuries/sickness. After that, praying for a nice ship/homeport combo.
Rufio- Thanks, I think my OR was just as relieved as I was to get the Final Select lol. There was a point last month where I was calling once/twice a week. Do you recommend keeping contact with him following OCS too?

VMO4

Best of luck to you, as mentioned above, the most important thing in the military is a positive attitude. Interesting how the people I knew in the Corps who complained constantly always were "getting the shaft" and those with a positive outlook "could not believe they got so lucky" Some times will be great, some times will suck, but I still look back at my service 25 years ago and would not trade it for anything in the world. Oh yea, and get used to the term "haze, grey and underway". People have served their fellow man by going to sea on ships for thousands of years, it is a most noble vocation.