• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Am I Too Far Gone?

phrogpilot73

Do I think you're too far gone? It all depends on how badly you want it. I graduated from high school with a 1.96 GPA and a cool 1200 on the SAT's. I failed out of two community colleges. However, I still wanted to go to the Naval Academy. I got my act together and after 4 applications, was accepted. Even then it wasn't all downhill. At the end of my first year at the Academy, I had a 1.65. It took me a year to adjust, but I was able to get my grades up and graduated in '98, winged in '01. So, all that really matters is how strong your desire is.

usnphoenix

Remove before flight
pilot
Don't give up just yet. The first time I took the SAT's the Naval Academy sent me a nice little letter saying I wasn't even qualified for an application. I took the SAT's again and raised my score by 100 points. A few weeks later that application came in the mail. I eventually declined USNA to attend the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy and I am heading down to P'cola in september. If you want the academy life style either go to community college to prove you have your act together for a year (if they still won't send you an application packet) or apply to USMMA or the ROTC program. Four years at USMMA landed me a flight spot, something my GPA probably wouldn't have gotten me at USNA because less USMMA mids try for SNA.

Look into Http://www.usmma.edu. If you have any questions about USMMA shoot me a PM. Keep in mind USMMA is not substandard at all. Its not a big name like Annapolis, but it is a federal service academy and I had offers from a few companys (one being G.E. Nuclear ) and a SNA slot when i graduated.

Prashant Patel

Like all these good folks have said here, just keep at it. The posts you see are from a wide range of guys/girls in all different stages of their flying careers. You can see the underlying theme, be persistent on what you want to do. You're going to run into trouble many times and figure there's not light at the end of the tunnel, but just keep going. I had some mighty problems commissioning through UCLA NROTC as well as being stashed there for 9 months after I finally commissioned and the only thing that got me through was hanging onto what I believed in. I'm sure the guys on this forum have all sorts of stories where they could have quit, but they kept goin'.You can do the same.

B

Bulldog05

Take it from someone who has been there.

Military college life has its advantages but you give up a lot to go to those schools and you miss out on some pretty awesome experiences. Im glad I went to military college but there are definitely regrets that go along with that choice too. Play the card your dealt and have fun with it. NROTC is a great route to take and you end up in the same spot.

Citadel '05
SNFO

ElCidAv8tor05

Any of you boys seen a VORTAC around here?
pilot
there are tons of options...

like nearly everyone else has said, it doesn't matter where you get your commission, as long as you get it. THose guys that are out there in the fleet flaunting their Academy Grad mentality are more than likely gonna be looked down upon by their peers. look at other options, NROTC, BDCP, enlist and do STA-21 (you can get a guranteed flight slot through STA-21;if you qualify) The key is that if you want it bad enough there are ways to get it. It will take a lot of hard work and dedication on your part, but from what I understand of you, you seem to be dedicated. On that same vain, the Academy isn't necessarily the best thing for everyone. I had sh*t hot stats coming out of HS; capt of football and track teams, CO of JROTC, student body VP, NHS, tons of community service, 3.9GPA, 2 congressional nominations, blah, blah,blah. you name it I had it. But I didn't get into the Academy. Instead I took a NROTC scholarship, went to another military college and I don't regret it for a second. If you need a rigid structure to help you through college, I would suggest looking at another military college; The Citadel,VMI, etc. College is alot harder than HS and if you struggle with HS, its gonna take that much more hard work to make it through college. from what all my academy friends tell me, academics at USNA are insanely difficult. If you suck at math, which I do, you will struggle there.
In the end it all comes down to making the best out of what you have. Work hard and one day you will achieve your goals.
You know the saying: "If life gives you lemons... make lemonade."
- "Easy"

P.S. sorry about being so long winded.

ElCidAv8tor05

Any of you boys seen a VORTAC around here?
pilot
Bulldog05 and I were roommates in college, and we barely made it to commissioning. But luckily, we worked together on the stuff that was holding us back, stupid Calculus based Physics, and we made it. So wahtever you decide to do AllAmerican, I would suggest finding someone to help you out with your academics. cuz college is pretty damn hard,(unless you go to Berkely where you just have to read the Communist Manifesto to graduate), and having someone to help you figure things out is a real life saver. It works in flight school, its basically the only way to get though flight school from what I understand, and it will work in college.

-"Easy"

Dirty Ed

THAT Academy

Have you applied for entrance into The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point NY?

If not, I suggest you do. I shot my way out of there in 1953, took my Third Mates Licence, BSNS Degree, and ENS USNR Commission, applied for Navy Flight Training, and got it.

That led to my designation as a Naval Aviator in 1955, assignment to VF-152 NAS Moffett (God be with the days!) where I flew Banshee's for 2 years, used the time to get my SMEL Commercial ticket after a WestPac cruise aboard the USS WASP.

Went to work as a FO with TWA in 1957, got recalled for 2 more tours, retrired LCDR USNR and Capt TWA Ret. in 1987, and lived happily ever after.

Forget "THE" Academy, try "THAT" Academy - I made it with marginal academic scores, and perhaps YOU can, too.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Thank you very much, Ed. My only question is, can you switch to active duty if you are commissioned as a reserve officer? The reason i ask, is because I'm planning on going full career military if I can, and I'm not sure I can do that in the reserves.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Usually when people talk about a "reserve" commission, they aren't talking about reserves in the sense most civilians think of. The Navy and Marines (though the USMC is changing its system) have recently given all or most of their new officers reserve commissions. Ssome years USNA and NROTC have gotten regular commissions, of late they've been given reserve commissions. Those officers are still on active duty for the stated obligated service. The "reserve" pretty much means that they can be discharged at the pleasure of the service. Once you do what's called "augmentation" at about year 4, you have what might be called tenure, and you can only be discharged for good reason or by resignation. Your ID card will say INDEF on discharge date.

As far as true weekend warrior reserve commissions, officers leaving active duty will often switch to reserves. No Marine officers go directly to ready reserve duty, and if any Navy do, they are small in number as well.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
phrogdriver said:
Usually when people talk about a "reserve" commission, they aren't talking about reserves in the sense most civilians think of. The Navy and Marines (though the USMC is changing its system) have recently given all or most of their new officers reserve commissions. Ssome years USNA and NROTC have gotten regular commissions, of late they've been given reserve commissions. Those officers are still on active duty for the stated obligated service. The "reserve" pretty much means that they can be discharged at the pleasure of the service. Once you do what's called "augmentation" at about year 4, you have what might be called tenure, and you can only be discharged for good reason or by resignation. Your ID card will say INDEF on discharge date.

As far as true weekend warrior reserve commissions, officers leaving active duty will often switch to reserves. No Marine officers go directly to ready reserve duty, and if any Navy do, they are small in number as well.

All true, but as of now all new commissions in the navy will be USN and all other officers will be augmented by May '06.

Strobes

pilot
If going to the Academy is your dream, don't sacrifice it for anything in the world. If just getting a commission is your dream, don't go to the academy. Go ROTC and enjoy your college life. I went to both a civilian college and the academy. I loved the academy and am glad I went there. However, I wouldn't have loved it if it also hadnt been a dream of mine. You have to want it to make it through. Its a good place to be from but not a good place to be at. Bottom line, follow your dreams and don't regret a thing.