• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Am I doing the right thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmettoguy4519

I am currently a college senior who will be graduating in May.I have no prior military experience and I am not sure what i want to do in the Navy. Is it normal for for college grads like me to choose Navy OCS?(IF ACCEPTED)I want to serve my country while gaining civilian knowledge. Secondly, If i apply to a certain field(not aviation)after taking the astb, how long will it take? How soon could my class start? After OCS, do we have a break to go and visit family? If so, how long?
banghead_125.gif
Thanks Palmetto guy.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
I was in the same boat. I just graduated college, and I knew that I wanted to serve my country. At the same time I wanted to have a job that gave me skills that I could use in the Civillian world. Your best best is to take the ASTB, do the best you can, and see what your scores are. After that you can discuss with the recuiter what jobs are avialible to you. One of the guys that has been through it can answer your other q's

Ben

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
palmettoguy,

If you want to do a tour while gaining experience attractive to the civilian world, you should consider supply. There aren't any specific degree requirments, and you basically handle the business side of the navy. My recruiter also said that most people go in, do four years, then go on to corporate America. For the record, I'm not in supply, so I'm not trying to endorse it.

Your "break" after OCS really depends on luck. I only had three weeks of Hometown area recruiting "duty", where you go back to your home of record, live at home, and are attached to the recruiting office so you don't burn up leave. However, some people from my class graduated in December, and did Hometown recruiting until April, so they had a long break. It's all about timing, hope this helps.

Stephen

I suggest that you take a look at what the other services have to offer also. Right now the way things are going in the Navy, with the downsizing and all I would way all my options.

V/R LTJG Hall

Status
Not open for further replies.