• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Am I competitive?

LanceS

I am looking into applying for BDCP, I am over half-way done with my undergrad now. I am majoring in Aerospace Engineering and have a G.P.A. of 3.2, I want to apply for SNA and NFO. I have great eyesight 20/15, I work out 5 times a week and stay very active. I am also involved in a couple engineering projects at school. I am just wondering how competitive of an application would I make for BDCP? What all criteria do the boards look at?

Thanks!

SWCS242

SWO in-training
I am looking into applying for BDCP, I am over half-way done with my undergrad now. I am majoring in Aerospace Engineering and have a G.P.A. of 3.2, I want to apply for SNA and NFO. I have great eyesight 20/15, I work out 5 times a week and stay very active. I am also involved in a couple engineering projects at school. I am just wondering how competitive of an application would I make for BDCP? What all criteria do the boards look at?

Thanks!

Well first of all, to get into BDCP you have to make sure you have at least one year of college left.

As you can see from other posts in the BDCP section, it is hard for anyone to determine what your chances are of being selected. The only way you know is by applying. Talk to an officer recruiter and start the process because it takes a long time.

From what you said though, you look like you would make a solid applicant. Good Luck!! BDCP rocks!!

Thanks!

Talk to your local recruiter. GPA is a little below average but you have the major that we are looking for. Study hard for the ASTB. Remember it is a holistic process.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
Talk to your local recruiter. GPA is a little below average but you have the major that we are looking for. Study hard for the ASTB. Remember it is a holistic process.

A 3.2 in an engineering field is below average? Last I heard C (2.0) was 'average'. I would say 3.2 for an engineer over half way done w/ college is a great GPA.

This is coming from me though.. Another aerospace engineer over half way done with a 3.3, which has been tremendously difficult to achieve.

nugget61

pilot
A 3.2 in an engineering field is below average? Last I heard C (2.0) was 'average'. I would say 3.2 for an engineer over half way done w/ college is a great GPA.

This is coming from me though.. Another aerospace engineer over half way done with a 3.3, which has been tremendously difficult to achieve.

Wolf's a recruiter...

When I say average, I am referring to acceptance rates for BDCP. 3.2 GPA in engineering is a great GPA and is almost a lock for acceptance. BDCP is a little more competitive.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I had a 3.2 in political science (although it was actually all engineering classes up until the semester I applied during) and I got picked for both SNA and NFO.

Take the ASTB, which you should ace as an engineering major with that GPA.

LanceS

Well thanks guys, I am just hoping for the best, when would I take the ASTB? And I have a question for awolfinwater, what are the boards (overall) looking for in a candidate?

One more question, how much does the PRT affect my chances? I am very fit and know I can get Outstanding-Low at the very least

LanceS

I actually have a couple more questions actually, how often can you apply, cause what I am thinking of doing is waiting till after this semester to get my GPA a bit higher, at the rate im going it will be in the 3.4 range (just been doing great in my aero classes) should I contact my local officer recruiter now and apply? Or should I wait till I get my grades back in December and try to apply then?

LanceS

Also, I am involved in the solar car team here at school (aerodynamics team) how much would this help me out?

nugget61

pilot
Well thanks guys, I am just hoping for the best, when would I take the ASTB? And I have a question for awolfinwater, what are the boards (overall) looking for in a candidate?

One more question, how much does the PRT affect my chances? I am very fit and know I can get Outstanding-Low at the very least

They look at the 'whole person' concept - grades, extra currics, references, jobs, astb... all of it. The PRT is required to pass, but its just a 'yes he passed' or 'no he didn't' so you just need the lil check mark.

I actually have a couple more questions actually, how often can you apply, cause what I am thinking of doing is waiting till after this semester to get my GPA a bit higher, at the rate im going it will be in the 3.4 range (just been doing great in my aero classes) should I contact my local officer recruiter now and apply? Or should I wait till I get my grades back in December and try to apply then?

If I recall, you must wait 6 months between bdcp apps - so you might want to apply now and see if you make it and if not, then when you are good again with the new gpa - no need to waste time now.

Also, I am involved in the solar car team here at school (aerodynamics team) how much would this help me out?

You'll put all activities on your application.

Renegade One

None

Stop worrying about gilding the lily. You sound like a great candidate...apply early and apply often if at first you don't succeed. Heart and motivation count a lot. The guy who won't stop banging on the door with good credentials is the guy I would have liked to have on my wing...or in my squadron.

Best of luck.

Lobster

If he's got a bunch of extra activities and athletics along with community service to put in his app it should help a lot...remember "total package"
I only had a 3.1 when I applied.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
Yeah, while it is a whole person concept, numbers are important. My guess would be ASTB and GPA are the most so, followed by extra-curricular, motivational statement, and LOR's. Try to fill up the application with any and all things you've done. My recruiter mentioned he gets some people without any clubs/teams/awards listed at all. Small things like that stand out too. It looks like you've got the clubs down, so all I can really suggest is community service. That looks good for just about anything.

Rasczak

Marine
What the hell? What happened to the usual "search function, blah blah blah"?? I'm away for 3 months and everything changes?