• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Alternative MOS?

sodajones

Combat Engineer
After weighing my options between the Naval branches of the military, I've decided to pursue a commission and career in aviation in the Coast Guard as it seems to fit my personal goals for the future.

Unfortunately, I probably would not qualify for the Blue 21 program so I'm going to go to OCS and taking a gamble that I can get aviation out of OCS or within a year or two afterward. However, surprise, surprise, we don't always get what we want in the military. I'm just hoping some Coast Guardsmen can give me advice on what alternate MOS's they would consider if they were not aviators. Whether or not I get aviation I'm going to have a good attitude and do my job, I'd just prefer doing something I can enjoy.

I'm a combat engineer so I'd like something "hands-on" if I don't get aviation. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Staubb00

After weighing my options between the Naval branches of the military, I've decided to pursue a commission and career in aviation in the Coast Guard as it seems to fit my personal goals for the future.

Unfortunately, I probably would not qualify for the Blue 21 program so I'm going to go to OCS and taking a gamble that I can get aviation out of OCS or within a year or two afterward. However, surprise, surprise, we don't always get what we want in the military. I'm just hoping some Coast Guardsmen can give me advice on what alternate MOS's they would consider if they were not aviators. Whether or not I get aviation I'm going to have a good attitude and do my job, I'd just prefer doing something I can enjoy.

I'm a combat engineer so I'd like something "hands-on" if I don't get aviation. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

There is no such thing as a MOS in the USCG and even if there was Officers don't have them... (enlisted personnel have "rates" and a list of them as well as officer info can be found at http://www.gocoastguard.com/ )

check out http://coastguardocs.org/portal/index.php lots of good info there!

Brunes

pilot
Staubb is right- We call them rates for the Enlisted side and Specialties for Officers.

The good thing about CG Aviation is if you keep yourself out of trouble and do decent work you will most likely get picked up within 2-3 boards (A year to a year and a half).

We have Civil and Naval engineering units that support facilities and boats/naval design, respectively. They would probably at least hold your interest until you can get picked up. Law enforcement- while not engineering- tends to be VERY hands on (read: shooting guns and getting cool training). You could also go Deck Watch Officer (what the CG calls SWO) or get into shore based operations (Maritime Inspections come to mind- making sure large vessels comply with federal regs- kind of along the lines of engineering)

Good luck making your choice- Let us know if you got anything else...

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
I always told myself if I couldn't fly, I'd want to be in the Marine Safety field.

For one, you go TAD to a ton of schools and get some great training.

Two, it sets you up for some awesome civilian jobs that have pretty good pay and benefits.

BigRed389

None
Staubb is right- We call them rates for the Enlisted side and Specialties for Officers.

The good thing about CG Aviation is if you keep yourself out of trouble and do decent work you will most likely get picked up within 2-3 boards (A year to a year and a half).

We have Civil and Naval engineering units that support facilities and boats/naval design, respectively. They would probably at least hold your interest until you can get picked up. Law enforcement- while not engineering- tends to be VERY hands on (read: shooting guns and getting cool training). You could also go Deck Watch Officer (what the CG calls SWO) or get into shore based operations (Maritime Inspections come to mind- making sure large vessels comply with federal regs- kind of along the lines of engineering)

Good luck making your choice- Let us know if you got anything else...

CG law enforcement busted a semi-submersible smuggling in tons of coke.

Seriously cool shit.

Brunes

pilot
As a law enforcement guy at my last unit-My team and I busted a ton of pot on a sailboat somewhere in the Caribbean...not nearly as cool as all that blow (usually 10 to 15 tons in one of those subs).

LE is a GREAT field. If I wasn't at flight school-My entire assignment request list was to go back to LE.

sardaddy

pilot
LE is a tough egg to crack in the Coast Guard as an officer. It is even tough as an enlisted guy because we do not have any ratings or specialties that are LE specific. At least not yet.

A pilot is really the only job that you can have any reasonable assumption that you will be able to be an "operator" for most of your career. The Marine Science guys also have the opportunity to do their jobs for most of their careers but it is mostly inspecting larger vessels for infractions. Not my idea of fun.

As an officer, your LE experience would be limited to being on a LEDET (Law enforcement detachment), or becoming a boarding officer on a ship. You also have the opportunity to work toward commanding a small cutter as a junior officer (We have E-9s, warrant officers, and LTJGs commanding our 87' and 110' cutters) but if you are the CO you won't be the one kicking in doors. On the larger ships, you could be a boarding officer as one of your collateral duties. So you could be the finance officer one minute and boarding a drug boat the next.

Other than that, officers aren't the ones doing the LE mission. If you want hands on stuff, you might think of the engineering field. You will be right next to your guys trying to keep the ship running efficiently.

Good luck in your choice.

Staubb00

LE is a tough egg to crack in the Coast Guard as an officer. It is even tough as an enlisted guy because we do not have any ratings or specialties that are LE specific. At least not yet.

thanks for the info.... I'm trying for OCS for 06-09 but even if i make it through I won't be able to try for flight school right away because I need PRK. at any rate not sure what to expect at a shore station or out in the fleet...