• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

allergies-

Status
Not open for further replies.

O-man

O.K., I have an allergie (I have no idea if I spelled that right) question. My father works for a company called Flightsafty (one word) and there all a lot of old military pilots. he was talking one day to a former F-16 driver who had to get out because the flight surgeon cought his allergies and sent him packing. Later he finds out that the meds that they give you to deal with these allergies (I assume were talking about seasonal allergies- like pollin and all that crap) are aproved by the military now. So he is all pissed. Does anyone know the meds that are O.K with the military, or anything alse relivant to the subject? O-man

Jeff29

Science Project
Check out http://www.nomi.navy.mil/code04/entnf.htm#Allergic_Rhinitis_SAR

Basically you can use claritin or allegra while flying. There is an initial 7-day grounding period when you first start the medication, but, as I understand, no waiver is required for mild seasonal allergies that can be addressed with either of those medications.

Just for everyone's gee-whiz collection, the reason I know this is that, in addition to eye problems (which, by the way, will be fixed next Tuesday), I also have seasonal allergies, a reconstructed ankle, and a screw in my wrist. Yes, I'm a medical marvel! Anyway, I've done my share of researching medical issues. Fortunately for me, none of my problems require a waiver (other than the eyes) as long as there are no lingering problems.

--Jeff

unfUSN

You seem to have a good understanding of the medical stuuf in teh Navy... I've got a NFO slot in June but, I have a question. I pased my MEPS exam, but I did have to get a waiver because I broke my finger about a year ago and I don't have complete function of it. I can't close my hand into a fist 100%... do you think that this will DQ me?

Check out http://www.nomi.navy.mil/code04/entnf.htm#Allergic_Rhinitis_SAR

Basically you can use claritin or allegra while flying. There is an initial 7-day grounding period when you first start the medication, but, as I understand, no waiver is required for mild seasonal allergies that can be addressed with either of those medications.

Just for everyone's gee-whiz collection, the reason I know this is that, in addition to eye problems (which, by the way, will be fixed next Tuesday), I also have seasonal allergies, a reconstructed ankle, and a screw in my wrist. Yes, I'm a medical marvel! Anyway, I've done my share of researching medical issues. Fortunately for me, none of my problems require a waiver (other than the eyes) as long as there are no lingering problems.

--Jeff

[/quote]

Jeff29

Science Project
Can you physically not close it, or does it just hurt to close it. If you already got a waiver, I'm assuming that they'll just ask you how it's doing. Since nothing will really show up on an x-ray, if you say it's fine and it looks fine, I don't think you'll have any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.