• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Allergies

sickboy

pilot
I'm allergic to cats and suffer from hayfever about two weeks out of the year. When I was at CORTRAMID I told the flight surgeon about this and he said that it wasn't an issue at all. He (a Captain) signed my up-chit and said I was good to go. Later when I arrived at the squadron we had a review of our medical record and my allergies came up. The HM2 that reviewed my record said that I wouldn't be able to fly because of my allergies and grounded me. I was an HMSN before I got a NROTC scholarship, so I understand the medical reasoning behind it. But it really struck me as odd that an E-5 could overide an O-6 signature.

Anyway, I'm going to be getting my flight physical soon, and I'm wondering how I should handle the topic of my allergies and if this episode is going to come back to haunt me during my service selection.

Thanks,
Mike

Nose

pilot
Yeah, because on the boat, hay fever and Cats are a huge problem.

As far as I know, SAR (Seasonal Allergenic Rhinitis = hay fever) Is no longer downing/NPQ and does not require a waiver. (I was on a waiver for 15 years, one day FS said "You don't need this any more.)

Since there shouldn't be Cats in your jet/work spaces I would not bring it up if not asked directly. See if you can track down that FS (Capt) and get his opinion.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Poke around on the site and search for "hay fever" or "allergies." There's beaucoup info on how little a problem this is.

MasterBates

I have flown with a cat in a helo before. 12 year old girl did not want to leave her kitten behind during Katrina. Also had a couple dogs n there over the course of the romp in the swamp.

Thank god I am not allergic to cats.. :D

sickboy

pilot
Do you have documentation, notes in your record, regarding the FS comments?

I agree with him, BTW, and don't think your allergies as stated should be of any concern.
For some reason I cannot access this link. Try here for some more detailed answers. www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/index.htm

Thanks for the link, unfortunatly it isn't working for me either. Because the FS approved me at first I didn't think it was anything to worry about. But it already bit me in the backside once, and I was hoping that it wouldn't be a problem.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks for the link, unfortunatly it isn't working for me either. Because the FS approved me at first I didn't think it was anything to worry about. But it already bit me in the backside once, and I was hoping that it wouldn't be a problem.

Something else to keep in mind w/ all the medical approvals and DQs....when you're a mid, it's a pretty simple qual process, and basically, you're under the same "rules" as for a designated aviator. This is just my observation, I'm not basing it on anything official, mind you.

However, when you actually go for a real flight physical/pre-comm physical, you're now under the rules of an applicant. NAMI will be more selective for applicants than they will be for someone who has already started the program (and beyond). The real answer to whether it's an issue or not will come when NAMI comes back and recommends approval or further review/workups/DQ after your physical. Then it's up to PERS to actually approve or disapprove your qualification to select (but they're obviously going to go w/ NAMI).

smustang51

I'm not sure how long you actually have until you get in, but if you're worried about it at all they do offer allergy immunization. I'm told it only takes about twenty sessions for it to take affect so if you went every other day....you might consider it...I hear the Navy has stopped flying planes of rubber dog sh^t outta Hong Kong and instead are carrying wire hair tabbies.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
Don't worry about it, I'm/was allergic to pretty much everything, cats/dogs/grass/dust...etc. It shouldn't be an issue getting a waiver.