• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things PRK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared

Vicki,
You responded to a question I asked about PRK on the Student Pilot Network site, and I wanted to pick your brain a bit on the issue. My app. is in Millington as we speak and I'm looking to get a PRK waiver. I was wondering what trials and tribulations I would face should I, by the grace of God, be selected SNA. For example, any tests in the Class 1 that you faced that non-PRK folks didn't (you had mentioned contrast sensitivity on SPN). Thanks

Jared O'Brien

vicki

My application took forever to go through because I put in for it when the program was so new that CNRC and BUPERS hadn't figured out how to process it. I was the second person to be accepted into the new accession PRK study. People who are granted a PRK waiver are automatically enrolled in a Navy study tracking how SNAs who've had PRK fare later on in such things as landing on the Boat at night and in poor visibility. Anyway, your application process should be a lot less painful than mine. I was constantly on the phone to NOMI, CNRC etc. People I've talked to who've done it after me said it went through in a pretty straight-forward manner, the same as any other waiver. When you get your Class I, expect to take a psych test regarding your self-esteem and reasons for getting PRK and to read the eye chart in low contrast conditions. This means the letters are grey instead of blackand the lights are dimmed. You'll probably do 20-40 points worse for low contrast (ie 20/20 now sees 20/40 or 20/60). This is not a pass/fail test. You cannot have your designator taken away if your low contrast vision sucks. A lot of people who've never had PRK have poor low contrast vision, so they just want to know where you stand. You'll have to repeat the low contrast stuff every year with your annual flight physical. If there are any other questions I can answer, let me know. Good luck.

Jeff29

Science Project
Vicki,

Did you have your waiver before your package went up for selection? I'm in a bit of a different situation because I am trying to lateral transfer, but the eye docs told me that they would do all the paperwork, but not actually apply for the waiver until after I am selected.

--Jeff

vicki

Jeff,

Here is where the mass confusion starts. I had a NFO billet at the time that I had PRK surgery. CNRC said they wouldn't redesignate me until I had a waiver. BUPERS said they couldn't give me a waiver until I had a SNA flight physical (vice an NFO flight physical). NOMI said I couldn't get a flight physical until I was redesignated. Finally after this went round and round for three months, I heard I had the waiver a couple weeks before I was redesignated. I then went to Pcola and had another flight physical. I honestly don't know if this is the way it is usually done or if this was just one giant charlie foxtrot because the program was so new. Sorry I can't be more specific.

vicki

Sorry, I don't have any idea if there are limitations to post-operative corneal thickness.

As far as night vision goes, I've been very lucky. I've had none of the halo or glare problems that have been reported, although my night vision (as well as my day vision) continued to improve for almost six months post-operatively. I've been extremely happy with my PRK results, but I know I was fortunate. There exists a risk with PRK as there does with any surgery. Side effects can and do happen. There - I've said my piece as the responsible (former) surgeon, but as an SNA, all I can say is "It's good to go!!!".

Status
Not open for further replies.