• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Akbar Sentenced to Death for Grenade Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bunk22 said:
Nobody's telling him how to think or follow a party line. However, I believe a certain type of "hard charger" is necessary for the military. Touchy feely need not apply.

What he says.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
red_stang65 said:
Are there alternatives? Of course...have this man walk on coals for 6 hours at a time with 30 min breaks--a suggestion. Deprive him of sleep and subject him to extremely harsh living conditions akin to that of a mexican state prison--trust me, you don't want to be there.

OK dude, I was going to just sit and watch the fireworks, but since you keep bringing up 'alternate' punishments, I just had to chime in.

You do realize that what you suggest is completely illegal, right? Not only that, but it is highly immoral. You suggest that your moral beliefs preclude the death sentence, yet allow torture on an ongoing basis ... how does that make any sense?

Perhaps you approve of the POW camps from WWII and Vietnam? At least they didn't kill those guys, right? Now I'm certain that you really don't approve of that sort of thing, but that is what you are saying.

What it all comes down to is that, while you may not approve, the death penalty is legal, while your methods are not. Why? Because rational people beyond their high school years have made the choice to make it that way.

Our enemies in the extremist movements are not going to hate us any more for executing this man. Not possible. Legally, we have every right to execute him as an American citizen, subject to our laws. This is nothing like the people in Cuba (which I also believe is in our best interests and legal, but it is VERY different).

You are free to believe what you want about the death penalty, but you'll need a much better argument to win any converts within the military.

As for your fitness to join the service ... not supporting the death penalty is not disqualifying in my book, but I think you've got a lot of learning to do before you take your oath. Your morality is highly contradictory as it stands, which is certainly not a good sign for an Officer. Also, your tone in this thread leaves much to be desired.

Think about your position and perhaps you'll see its inconsistancies, that'd be a step in the right direction.

Good luck.

red_stang65

pilot
I agree with what VarmintShooter said about my examples not following from my earlier statements about morality. However, I was only using those as jsut that, examples of alternative punishments...as no one else even seemed to consider them. Contradictory? Not necessarily.

I can understand what you mean about the inconsitencies from my previous post, and I'll admit, most of it came from emotion after reading some of the earlier replies. However, I do think they may have been taken too literally--I don't recall anyone lashing out against the idea of electric bleachers mentioned earlier, but I may have just missed it.

As far as wining converts from the military, that is not my goal. I primarily came in so as to add variety to the "Let's all go hang the bastard" attitude, though I quickly had to change step to defend my belief--though nobody else really needed to. Perhaps that's because the others were in the right or assumed the majority of everyone else on here agreed with them, and therefore did not need to expound any further.

Touchy feely? Oh brother. Does hypothesizing about the possible consequences of ones actions, or standing to ones religious beliefs constitute "touchy feely?" If it is, then most good politicians, leaders, and decision makers can be considered touch feely (even Mr. Powell, Mr. Bush, or perhaps more likely Mr. McCain for that matter). I wouldn't necessarily categorize them as such...

I believe I have responded to your belief about my morality being contradictory, but as to tone...I don't think I really understand. I am berated, misquoted, misjudged, and portrayed in more than a few unflatering limelights and I am the one that needs adjustment? Excuse me if I don't agree. Besides, even though this is a faceless forum where you can only go off of what you read by someone, isn't that earlier post a little too scant to go and judge whether or not someone is fit for service? What if someone took a sophmorific comment made by another person here and decided that it was too unrefined to qualify as language of a naval officer? Like I said...too little evidence to go off of.

red_stang65

pilot
You know, I think I've held on to my beliefs enough and have said all that is necessary to explain where I'm coming from. I no longer see the need to hold on to this argument any longer, as there are many more important things in life to worry about than whether or not anyone here agrees with anyone else over what, I feel, are matters of personal discrection. That being said, no further attempt on my part will be able to educate anyone as to who I am exactly or what type of person I am or vice versa...nor do I feel it necessary to do so here. With that in mind, I think we can all agree to disagree on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.