• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airwarriors Skiers and Shredders

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
At my last command, my FCF copilot had to leave early and there was still a 20-minute ground turn to do (bird in FCF status, but ground turn was just to run up engine oil temp for a check). Found another H2P to sit next to me while I did it. Told the chain about the change and they required us to fill out a new ORM sheet (including three highest risks) before walking

for

the

ground

turn

kejo

pilot
At my last command, my FCF copilot had to leave early and there was still a 20-minute ground turn to do (bird in FCF status, but ground turn was just to run up engine oil temp for a check). Found another H2P to sit next to me while I did it. Told the chain about the change and they required us to fill out a new ORM sheet (including three highest risks) before walking
Ground turn for a non-FCF checklist item? Send in the PQMs!

nittany03

FUBIJAR
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Very jealous of you West coast types. Might try and get the kids on the slopes this year but they'll have to learn like I did: skiing ice in the Poconos.
Funnily enough, my family has had a small cottage in the Poconos since my great-grandfather had it built in 1926. But I have yet to ski Camelback, because we’ve never been up there in the winter. Done New England, western PA, and western NY, but never there.
That’s right, now it’s coming back. But of course, redneck parasailing was only verboten on your own . . . witness the guy I was in A-pool with who blew out his knee at Horak doing that crap, then reappeared to start Primary around the same time I was off to Meridian.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Life is full of surprises. We had a guy attrite out of GTI a year ago due to a MT Biking accident during the course. I tell guys at the beginning that this once in a lifetime opportunity probably isn’t the time to push the limits on the trail/slopes/etc. Other than that, we’re all adults and we’ll deal with the consequences of our actions.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

for

the

ground

turn

View attachment 23972
Jesus fucking Christ.

DanMa1156

Land of the rising sun. Literally. There's no DST!
pilot
Contributor
I was a SNA during those times and remember having to go to Safety to kind of ask permission/ fill out an ORM sheet with an instructor for most anything you'd consider fun; the threat, if not explicit, was implied that if you then did said activity and then got hurt, standby to be attrited. Of course, During API basketball though, dude playing a little too hard falls after getting a rebound or dunk or something right onto his wrist and got a nice compound fracture... Go figure.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some serious nonsense from leadership in this thread. It's embarrassing. You're not beholden to The Man. Use good judgement, but life your lives.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Life is full of surprises. We had a guy attrite out of GTI a year ago due to a MT Biking accident during the course. I tell guys at the beginning that this once in a lifetime opportunity probably isn’t the time to push the limits on the trail/slopes/etc. Other than that, we’re all adults and we’ll deal with the consequences of our actions.
Yikes. Broke my left wrist mountain biking two weeks into the 60M transition course. Didn't know it was broken. Just figured it was bruised or maybe sprained. Finished the course. Boost off sucked. It was healed and considered good to go by the time I reported to the 60M MTP course that started two weeks after the transition ended. It was six weeks after a recommended five to six week recovery. I've had 5 months of down time in my 26 years of flying, all due to mountain biking. But I don't do it once in awhile. I ride between 1200 and 1500 miles off road every year.

While agree that once in a lifetime opportunities are not the time to try something new or do something you do infrequently, putting the kibosh on something you do all of the time is a bit risk adverse...bordering on paranoia.

Oh, I did sprain my ankle during my AQC in 2008. Slipped on some ice on the flight line at Indian Town Gap. Go figure. No attrite, but it was a close call.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Too bad Snowshoe is in BFE. Shoeshoe is a great mountain just don't get hurt (Pocahontas Memorial Hospital isn't a hospital you'd want to spend any amount of time in)

Growing up in the Mid-Atlantic I snowboarded/skied Blue Mountain a lot. Highest vertical in PA (just over an epic 1,000 ft). Camelback has a nice variety of terrain the other mountains closer to MD (Whitetail, RoundTop, Liberty) aren't worth driving to.

As broke college kids we usually saved our money and took a trip further north into New England (VT, NH, ME) annually or blew a semester's worth of tuition and booked a bucket list trip to Austria (St. Anton, Stubai glacier, Innsbruck, etc).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, this break has not been awesome conditions for skiing thus far in the Sierra, with high winds being prevalent, but I'm hitting Heavenly tomorrow - wish me luck! :)

nittany03

FUBIJAR
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Stevens or Crystal when I get back from vacation? Stevens or Crystal? Hmm? #PacNWProblems

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Outside of east (ice) coast, I've boarded at winter park, park city, the canyons, copper mtn, breck 3x, vail, Jackson Hole, and one entirely too cold night at Keystone. Breck by far has the most fun town (and the best city named brewery of all...) but my college friend works there so I always have a place to crash on leave. JH was fun but it was icy at the time and every run as a result becomes a threat to your life. Winter park and copper were very fun off trail, and vail had some great wide open bowls if thats your thing.