• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airwarriors Skiers and Shredders

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Has anyone had experience using the “ski with a friend” feature of the epic pass? I was looking at it today for the place I’ll probably go in February (Heavenly) and it looks like you can only use three days consecutively?

Pags

Pope of Chili Town
pilot
Very jealous of you West coast types. Might try and get the kids on the slopes this year but they'll have to learn like I did: skiing ice in the Poconos.

Best skiing I did was in Jackson Hole, Mrs Pags and I took a tele lesson one day and that was an interesting challenge.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Has anyone had experience using the “ski with a friend” feature of the epic pass? I was looking at it today for the place I’ll probably go in February (Heavenly) and it looks like you can only use three days consecutively?
Unfortunately, there are restrictions on some of those mountains. I think Vail I can only get a couple days consecutive, but I don’t know the process.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Very jealous of you West coast types. Might try and get the kids on the slopes this year but they'll have to learn like I did: skiing ice in the Poconos.

Best skiing I did was in Jackson Hole, Mrs Pags and I took a tele lesson one day and that was an interesting challenge.
Snowshoe in West VA isn't too bad if they get snow.

Pags

Pope of Chili Town
pilot
Snowshoe in West VA isn't too bad if they get snow.
Yeah, it's a toss up for travel time between PA and WV slopes from Pax. I grew up outside Philly so am familiar with the poconos but have never skiied WV. Maybe go stay with the brother in law in NH and ski up there with the kids cousins.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I did Whitetail when I was in Pax or at the Academy. I mean, if you NEED the fix, but...

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Enjoyed Heavenly and Snowshoe (was busy). No idea if Winterplace is part of the pass, but much less touristy than snowshoe if there's good snow, also in west virginia and basically no lines (It's been about a decade so this all might be outdated).

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
Breck: awesome, but can get windy. Crowded right now. Will calm down again after the weekend after New Years. Everywhere in CO has great snow right now, but I suspect without much precipitation in the next few days it’ll be icing up with everyone on the mountains.

Vail: better snow, better weather, cooler village but everything is expensive.

Keystone is always smooth.

A-Basin ditched the epic but had a mil deal for a season pass for the same price; no idea if that’s still going on. Better snow and way less crowded without Epic tourists all over the place.

Don’t limit yourself to just one resort. Have you looked at airbnb’s in Dillon or Frisco? You’re striking distance to multiple resorts and the Frisco downtown is pretty cool.

kejo

pilot
My work schedule here in CO Springs allows me to make day trips up to Breck/Keystone/Vail on the weekdays, I've already been four times this year (it'd be more but you know, family). Conditions are okay for being early-ish in the season, but if you can hit any of those on a weekday they're great. Half the runs at Breck were still closed as of about a week and a half ago. Keystone is probably the least busy of the three on weekends, and with the holidays it'll be hellacious anywhere until the end of January.

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
My work schedule here in CO Springs allows me to make day trips up to Breck/Keystone/Vail on the weekdays, I've already been four times this year (it'd be more but you know, family). Conditions are okay for being early-ish in the season, but if you can hit any of those on a weekday they're great. Half the runs at Breck were still closed as of about a week and a half ago. Keystone is probably the least busy of the three on weekends, and with the holidays it'll be hellacious anywhere until the end of January.
I think most of that terrain had enough snow to open, they just hadn’t gotten avalanche mitigation done yet.

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
For sure, plus we have to temper expectations because last year was so damn good.
My juniority gives me the opportunity to live like an indigent person during the weekdays. I get to bag a lot of dirt and snow mon-fri. Last year was amaaaazeballs.

Having 24 to be able to avoid the worst of 70 is also quite nice.

BarryD

It's this odd sheet pilots sometimes bring to briefs that you just scribble capital "L" into the blanks of. At the end, you add up however many times you wrote the letter "L." Then you show it to someone else so they can check your "L" math before throwing the sheet in the trash. If you miscounted your "L"s or wrote any different letters (example: "M" or "H"), then somebody makes you recheck your math before throwing the sheet in the trash.
"The day is mine!"
Image result for Letters that start with celebrity jeopardy

nittany03

FUBIJAR
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is this ORM worksheet you speak of? Only time I ever saw one of those was when flying in a 60R on cruise.
This brings me back to my Ensign and JG-hood, when CNATRA land went on some huge ORM kick for reasons I can’t recall the specifics of. I think someone in NAPP land threw a shitfit about studs hurting themselves off-duty and screwing up time to train numbers.

At any rate, each TAW came out with its list of prohibited activities, and I remember TAW-4’s including “snow skiing and other ‘extreme sports.’”

I wasn’t assigned to TAW-4, but if I had been, I wondered how I would have explained to my then-fiftysomething mother how some staffer thought she was engaging in “extreme sports” by going down the bunny hill.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
There was a student in Meridian who got killed doing low level aerobics with some guy in his Pitts and IIRC the student's family saw the whole thing. There was also a Corpus student who got killed parasailing. I can't remember much details about that but there was supposedly something about a homemade parasailing rig, whatever that means (I have the utmost confidence that the naval safety center got all the details 100% correct, complete, and accurate and as they were reported through through safety net, I'm sure we all got the pure, unadulterated facts).

Naturally, the solution to prevent all future occurrences was to bury everybody who had nothing to do with either mishap in reams of new paperwork.

There was a page long list of about thirty~ish now-prohibited high risk recreational activities and a similarly long list of permissible "if" you filled out some silly risk assessment form.

That CNATRA later did a tour as the head of NAVSAFCEN...

Dunno how we survived in the old days.