• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airwarriors Skiers and Shredders

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
With winter upon us, I know there’s several of you out there that like to ride the slopes. I got my Epic Pass for the season and am looking for places to go/advice for February. I really want to do CO and was looking at Vail or Breck, but lodging anywhere near the mountain is ridiculous. Park City in Utah is also on the list but also very expensive. Anyone have any recommendations or maybe where to stay at these mountains?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't discount Tahoe. With three Epic pass resorts (Heavenly, Kirkwood and Northstar), and Squaw Valley/Alpine (who have $50 military season passes), there are lots of good options here and the lodging options around Tahoe are much more reasonable. Squaw and Heavenly are huge mountains similar to Whistler in scope.

I was gonna hit Kirkwood this morning, but with low cloud decks, I waived off. I like to see where I'm skiing. :) I may make the drive to SLC over the break if conditions warrant. 7 hour drive from Reno/Fallon.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Those are on the Epic Pass? I’ll have to look but I thought the mil pass was more restricted. If that’s the case then I’ll definitely look at those.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
What is this ORM worksheet you speak of? Only time I ever saw one of those was when flying in a 60R on cruise.
It's this odd sheet pilots sometimes bring to briefs that you just scribble capital "L" into the blanks of. At the end, you add up however many times you wrote the letter "L." Then you show it to someone else so they can check your "L" math before throwing the sheet in the trash. If you miscounted your "L"s or wrote any different letters (example: "M" or "H"), then somebody makes you recheck your math before throwing the sheet in the trash.

hooflys

pilot
Contributor
I'm a huge fan of Copper Mountain. No idea if its part of the Epic Pass, but I think its one of the best in the area. In my experience, generally better snow, shorter lift lines, and cheaper.

Back bowls are legit and have a Cat to run you up.

If you're open to more than Utah and CO, Big Sky and Sun Valley are pretty rad.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I used to go to Schweitzer growing up and we planned on Whitefish but never made it. Right now I’m limited in my Epic Pass, but I’ll keep those in my back pocket!

Griz882

Livin' On the Right Side of the River From Pags!
pilot
Don't discount Tahoe. With three Epic pass resorts (Heavenly, Kirkwood and Northstar), and Squaw Valley/Alpine (who have $50 military season passes), there are lots of good options here and the lodging options around Tahoe are much more reasonable. Squaw and Heavenly are huge mountains similar to Whistler in scope.

I was gonna hit Kirkwood this morning, but with low cloud decks, I waived off. I like to see where I'm skiing. :) I may make the drive to SLC over the break if conditions warrant. 7 hour drive from Reno/Fallon.
All very good suggestions!

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
it’s too bad park city is the only UT resort on the epic pass, it’s probably my least favorite one. If you absolutely want to check it out, go ahead, but while you’re there check out literally any other resorts. The town of park city is legit, the resort is usually the most crowded one in the wasatch range.

Meyerkord

Helo Advanced
Only place I’ve been in CO is Steamboat Springs. It’s kinda out of the way, but it was a fun trip. If you’re ever in northwest CO, check it out.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I'm a big Breck fan. Got 10 days in there last year on the Epic Pass, and am looking to at least double that this season. Huge mountain, lots of above treeline skiing if you like a real alpine experience. Great apre too. It's cheaper than Vail pretty much across the board, but there aren't too many bargains in lodging at any of the major resorts. I'm partial to the Peak 9 area; lots of VRBO options, very convenient to the Quicksilver lift. Avoid getting stuck having to use the Peak 8 base area - it's a major crossroads, and lift lines can get considerable in the morning and around lunchtime. The only downside can be the altitude - the base is 9500'+, and the peaks are almost 13K'. A kick in the pants if you sit at sea level making Powerpoint every day. Hydration is key, as is taking it easy the first couple of days.

I'm a big fan of Park City / The Canyons as well. Snow tends to be lighter there, and the terrain on both mountains is phenomenal. But no lodging bargains to be had either. I'd say go to both and fully amortize your pass! (Hell, it's fully amortized by lunch on Day 1...).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only downside can be the altitude - the base is 9500'+, and the peaks are almost 13K'. A kick in the pants if you sit at sea level making Powerpoint every day.
I live at 4500 ft and just thinking about skiing at 13K is making me wheeze. :)

FWIW, looks like the weather will break overnight and I'll be at Northstar in Tahoe tomorrow. Come on out and join me! :D