• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airline Question

exNavyOffRec

I am looking at taking a trip down to Orlando and my search results are coming up with Spirit, Frontier and Sun Country for the cheapest flights, but many of the flights are rated as poor or fair.

So my question is for those in the airline industry, any drawback on flying one of these carriers besides the poor rating, or anyone have first-hand experience with any of them?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You will probably get there. Eventually. But maybe not when you expected too. Or you will go But will be seated between the babushka and Ted Bundy who have never heard of personal hygiene.

I personally pay the little bit extra to get a ticket on a mainline carrier.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I am looking at taking a trip down to Orlando and my search results are coming up with Spirit, Frontier and Sun Country for the cheapest flights, but many of the flights are rated as poor or fair.

So my question is for those in the airline industry, any drawback on flying one of these carriers besides the poor rating, or anyone have first-hand experience with any of them?
As mentioned above, you’re likely taking more of a risk with one of those carriers since they often have less frequent flights. If you get delayed/cancelled there are less options to get you there.

Also, take a look at their fees. Going on a whim by yourself with just a backpack, the cheapest makes sense. If you have luggage or may need to change flights, get ready for pain.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Flew one-way San Diego to Vegas on Spirit a couple years ago to retrieve an aircraft. It was cheap and uneventful, but all I had was a backpack. They nickle and dime you for anything beyond that. YMMV!

Fins Out

Southwest doesn't post their fares on third party websites like Priceline or Kayak. If they fly out of your departing airport, might be worth a quick look at their website.

exNavyOffRec

Southwest doesn't post their fares on third party websites like Priceline or Kayak. If they fly out of your departing airport, might be worth a quick look at their website.

Unfortunately they don't, if I go I will probably go with American Airlines or Delta as I don't wanted to sit next to the next Ted Bundy or a smelly person.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I’ve done several 6-7 week long TADs in Nellis and would fly Spirit back to San Diego on the weekends. The way to get the absolute cheapest fare is at the counter at the airport. For those flights I could get a ticket for $29-$39 one way.

Granted, I only had my backpack and nothing else, but it was definitely cheap and worth it.

The best part was always the flight back to Vegas. More often than not I’d see some hot girl dressed like she was going to the club on the flight, carrying nothing but her cell phone. Once the plane landed, each time they’d walk straight to a waiting limo. They gotta make money somehow I guess!

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Many years ago took a Frontier direct flight to Vegas for my bachelor party. Not only was the airline’s carry-on situation/fee structure a complete cluster, the aircrew and gate attendant were 4 hours late for the flight with no explanation.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
I’ve done several 6-7 week long TADs in Nellis and would fly Spirit back to San Diego on the weekends. The way to get the absolute cheapest fare is at the counter at the airport. For those flights I could get a ticket for $29-$39 one way.

Granted, I only had my backpack and nothing else, but it was definitely cheap and worth it.

The best part was always the flight back to Vegas. More often than not I’d see some hot girl dressed like she was going to the club on the flight, carrying nothing but her cell phone. Once the plane landed, each time they’d walk straight to a waiting limo. They gotta make money somehow I guess!

I feel like this would make a great TV show...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unless there is a big fare sale, I no longer see much difference in fares between SWA and the big three. SWA is no longer a true low cost airline and no one in a city pair with them is going to surrender the market. Biggest benefit is free bag check.