• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aircrew (newbie question)

Xavier

Hello there,

I'm no prior service, 27 years old and have an associates degree (working on my bachelors in Professional Aeronautics at Embry-Riddle). I have a green card but I'm not a citizen of the US yet, although I know that if I joined the military I will become a citizen in a matter of months or a year. I want to go active duty and ultimately I want to be a pilot (civilian or military, although I'm aware of my age and know that it would be impossible in the navy or marines, and almost impossible in the airforce ...)

Now, I have a couple of questions. If you could help me it would be great. I've tried talking to recruiters, but they seem to not know what they are talking about!

1) To become an aircrewman, do I have to sign up for a rating first , train on it, then apply for an aircrew position; or do I sign up right from the beginning as an aircrewman go to Pensacola, then train in the specific rating?

2) How long does the whole training take?

3) What are the clearance requirements? Do you need to be a citizen (for aircrew)?

4) What are the prospectives of an aircrewman applying for OCS to become and aviator or NFO (generally speaking)?

5) Can someone enlist as a flight engineer right out of the bat or one needs to get a rating that will allow him to become one? If not, what are the best ratings for someone who wants to be a flight engineer?

6) What are the age limits, without and with wavers, for pilots, NFOs, and aircrew?

Sorry. I know it is a lot of questions...
Thank you again for you time.
Paulo

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
1) To become an aircrewman, do I have to sign up for a rating first , train on it, then apply for an aircrew position; or do I sign up right from the beginning as an aircrewman go to Pensacola, then train in the specific rating?

In my day, the only rating guaranteed a crack at an Aircrew billet was AW. So you would enlist as an AW, go through the entire course of training (which included time in Pensacola), and get assigned to your community. Even then there were chances you would end up in a CV-TSC and not flying. Maybe somebody with more recent experience can answer what it takes now.

2) How long does the whole training take?

The training pipeline for an AW was approximately 18 months. Then you had to go through the Aircrew PQS in your fleet squadron. From basic training to being winged took me 27 months.

3) What are the clearance requirements? Do you need to be a citizen (for aircrew)?

I can answer what was required 20 years ago, but I'm fairly certain it has changed since then. Again, lets hope somebody with more recent experience answers.

4) What are the prospectives of an aircrewman applying for OCS to become and aviator or NFO (generally speaking)?

You would have the same prospects as any other enlisted person. I'm not sure being an Aircrewman will give you any extra advantage.

5) Can someone enlist as a flight engineer right out of the bat or one needs to get a rating that will allow him to become one? If not, what are the best ratings for someone who wants to be a flight engineer?

I'm fairly sure you cannot enlist for FE. To become an FE requires the proper combination of rating and community (which is random at best). An AD in P-3's, for example.

6) What are the age limits, without and with wavers, for pilots, NFOs, and aircrew?

I know of no age limit for Aircrew. In my NACCS class, we had several old-timers (in their 30's at least) that made it through OK.

As you can see, all my answers are through the prism of "back in MY day". Here's hoping that some of it is still relevant.;)

BourneID

pilot
I know when I enlisted, they guaraunteed aircrew, but then determined your associated rating at Boot camp, now they are giving out ratings with an aircrew school gaurantee. the problem you will have is that all aircrewman require clearances, and with you not being a citizen makes that much more difficult. As for what Helo mentioned about the CV/TSC, only one boat is taking AW's right now, and that is the Kitty Hawk. If you want to be a pilot, your best chance is to finish your degree and go ahead and apply for citizenship, because between basic Training, all your schooling, and your intial fleet tour, you might not have made enough contacts or been in one place long enough to get a solid recomendation for an OCS package, or another commissioning prgram prior to the age cut off required for pilots. I hope this info helps. Also I have seen several FE's that went from Basic to A school, to Aircrew to VP-30 to start. Some of those guys were at a disadvantage due to the fact that there is a lot to learn, and they have not been as familar with aircraft systems, as much as the 30 yearold with 10 years in and that has worked in a squadron or for 7 of them.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I think with your age and citizenship being a pilot in the Navy is not in the cards.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
In the Marine Corps you can enlist with a guaranteed aircrewman option.

You need to meet the prerequisite swimming skills, I cannot speak for the clearance issues though.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is quite the patch VP30 has. The big eagle clawing the little eagle.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Is that alluding to a cut-throat, eat your young P-3 community?

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
Sorry to say it but you must be a citizen prior to being aircrew. I got a guy at work that wants to be aircrew but he was born in Canada, lived in the U.S ever since, and still cant get a good to go for over 2 years now. They will not let him go aircrew until he becomes a citizen because of clearance issues.

Aircrew is also going to be merging into its own rate in the next year or soon after. The whole rate thing will be its own and so if I was you I would get your citizenship then join the Navy, and try to be a pilot. Everyone will tell you the age thing is an issue, it is but maybe you will have a chance at doing your dream.

Xavier

Thanx

Thanks all of you that responded!
I will be still searching for answers about aircrew clearances. It wold make sense that a security clearance is needed, but I keep getting mixed responses...

qwalkley

If you want to be an aircrewman there is a good chance that you can get it guranteed if you also volunteer to become a SAR Swimmer. I have been told that they are in demand and that is a good way to get Aircrew guranteed.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I would think your age is going to be the biggest hurdle. Of the guys I know who did get the age waiver, all were prior E, and all were at or less than 30 yrs old. Maybe someone here can shed more light on the age waiver process for you

BourneID

pilot
Waivers are given up to 24 months, for a month for month of service time, so you can only get a waiver for how many months of time you have in the service, up to 24 months. I am positive on the clearance issue. Every aircrewman is required to at least have a Secret, you can get it without being a citizen, but it sure makes it a pain in the ass.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Alright, here is the correct answers to your questions based on MILPERSMAN 1220-010 Enlisted Aircrew

http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/milpers/1220-010.htm

b. Age. Thirty years or less at time of enlistment or reenlistment. Waivers for Regular Navy fleet volunteers will be considered by Navy Personnel Command (NAVPERSCOM), Aviation Assignment Branch (PERS‑404) or NAVPERSCOM, FTS Aircrew Assignments Branch (PERS-4012) for FTS fleet volunteers on a case-by-case basis.

Obviously you don't need one as of yet, but if you did need an age waiver for enlisted aircrewman you probably could get one - depending on the needs of the service.

6. Security Clearance Required. Applicants for the Aircrew Program must have citizenship and character requirements to be granted a minimum of a Secret clearance.