• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aircraft Maintenance Technician survey participation requested

Baswm

Please excuse me if this is not the right forum to post this. I was the wiring systems branch head for 9 years at NAVAIR before changing positions and working on my doctorate degree. I am researching the relationship of the dirty dozen precursors to human factor error that was identified in civilian aircraft maintenance to maintenance done on the electrical wiring interconnection system (EWIS) of Navy/Marine Corps Aircraft. If I can get enough participants, I can analyze the data and what precursors come to the top that need mitigation. Case in point is Lack of Knowledge. EWIS is not a system identified in the NAMP. Therefore, there is no required mandatory wiring training other then what was received early in the maintenance career. Wiring system reliability has been negative trending for the last ten years. NAVAIR has successfully pushed to have EWIS added into the NAMP and worked with CNATT to create the advanced wiring course to fix this issue (FY22). I am looking to see what other precursors need to be looked at to increase the wiring system reliability in Navy/Marine Corps aircraft.

I have 5 weeks to collect data and would appreciate passing the word out to AMTs who work on Navy/Marine aircraft and touch the wiring system.

Baswm

Please excuse me if this is not the right forum to post this. I was the wiring systems branch head for 9 years at NAVAIR before changing positions and working on my doctorate degree. I am researching the relationship of the dirty dozen precursors to human factor error that was identified in civilian aircraft maintenance to maintenance done on the electrical wiring interconnection system (EWIS) of Navy/Marine Corps Aircraft. If I can get enough participants, I can analyze the data and what precursors come to the top that need mitigation. Case in point is Lack of Knowledge. EWIS is not a system identified in the NAMP. Therefore, there is no required mandatory wiring training other then what was received early in the maintenance career. Wiring system reliability has been negative trending for the last ten years. NAVAIR has successfully pushed to have EWIS added into the NAMP and worked with CNATT to create the advanced wiring course to fix this issue (FY22). I am looking to see what other precursors need to be looked at to increase the wiring system reliability in Navy/Marine Corps aircraft.

I have 5 weeks to collect data and would appreciate passing the word out to AMTs who work on Navy/Marine aircraft and touch the wiring system.

So far I have received 16 responses to the survey. Please take a moment and take the survey. I need a good data set to analyze and make assumptions from.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I took the survey just to see what you were getting at. There was only one question about EWIS.

Baswm

Thank you for taking my survey. The focus is on Gordon Dupont’s Dirty Dozens found in civilian maintenance. The twelve precursors that contribute to human error in maintenance. I am looking to determine which of the twelve if any are factors when working on the EWIS system. I know the big one is lack of training. After nine years of trying, my team was successful in having EWIS as a system put into the NAMP. It was a big team effort to get that accomplished. CNATT developed the advanced wiring course which will now be mandatory training for those who work on the wiring system. Hoping it is funded and stood up by FY22. The reliability of wiring system has a ten plus year negative trend. We see same types of faults with chafing being the biggest issue. I want to see if precursors found in civilian maintenance shops are similar or different then O/I/D shops that work on Navy/Marine Corp aircraft.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I will say that in the early 90s, when I went through P-3C inflight ordnanceman training, we had a significant amount of time in our training track dedicated to troubleshooting wiring and electrical systems as part of the larger release and control system of the aircraft. The ability to read a wiring diagram, use a multimeter and do basic connector repair was a big part of the job. I think that is an art that has been lost in all but the most experienced maintainers who have spent years working on one T/M/S. Today Maintainers are trained to use troubleshooting trees, which cover only the more common failure modes. When they no-kidding have to start chasing wires, they lack the basic knowledge and training at the journeyman level to be effective/efficient.

I would recommend posting your survey on the Navy subreddit to get more visibility as well. In regards to the EWIS program, I think it's great to finally be a NAMP program; however, I know that my squadron still has not stood up the program, nor given it the attention in needs.