• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AirBus 330 Ground Accident

Flugelman

Contributor
AirBus 340 Ground Accident

This is the text of an email that I received from an old Navy buddy. (Dare I say Shipmate? :eek:) I searched and did not find any hits in the forum which, given the circumstances, is hard to believe.I am not including pictures from the email due to copyright concerns but pictures can be found online here and here. I could not find any links that gave an explanation of the cause. Most were of the "It just jumped the chocks..." variety. Although I, of course, can't vouch for the validity of any of the "Facts", it sure sounds plausible. Perhaps some of the cognoscenti here would care to chime in...

Mods: If this is a repost please feel free to delete

These are pictures of the wreck of a brand new A340-00 in November 2007, that had never flown. (never saw (1) hour in the air)
Thank these French and their Arab friends for this bit of 'comedy of errors'.
Nine employees of the Arab airline were in the aircraft, but 'no employees' from Airbus were present.
The Arabs taxied out to the run-up area.
Then they took all four engines to takeoff power with virtually an empty aircraft. (They obviously didn't read the run-up manuals.)
No chocks were set, (not that it would have mattered at that power setting) Brakes will not hold it back at full power anyway.
As it turns out the takeoff warning horn was blaring away in the cockpit because they had all FOUR engines at full power.
The aircraft computers thought they were trying to takeoff but it had not been configured properly (flaps/slats, etc, etc).
Then one of these brain surgeons decided to pull the 'Ground Sense' circuit breaker to quiet the alarms.
This fools the aircraft into thinking it is in the air.
'A big,big mistake'!
As soon as they did that, the computers automatically 'released' all the brakes. ('this is a Safety feature so that pilots don't land with the brakes on'.)
There was No time to stop and no one smart enough thought to reduce the max power setting.....

UMichfly

pilot
None
Good deal. Looks like whoever started that e-mail made themselves a good story out of a couple of different accidents.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
I'll interject something here. The email chain is fun because it pokes fun at Arabs for being stupid, but notice that "no Etihad staff were involved in the mishap." I only say this because I flew on Etihad once from Manila, PI to Kuwait City (via Abu Dhabi). Realizing that this will probably start a thread-jack, Etihad (and the other UAE airlines, Emirates) absolutely put the American carriers to shame in terms of services and in-flight amenities. I noticed the same thing when I flew China Airlines from Hong Kong to Guam (versus the Continental flight I took from Guam to Hong Kong). Anyone have any idea why that is?

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Gonnna call that one a Class Bravo. Yeah, i think that's about right.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I'll interject something here. The email chain is fun because it pokes fun at Arabs for being stupid, but notice that "no Etihad staff were involved in the mishap." I only say this because I flew on Etihad once from Manila, PI to Kuwait City (via Abu Dhabi). Realizing that this will probably start a thread-jack, Etihad (and the other UAE airlines, Emirates) absolutely put the American carriers to shame in terms of services and in-flight amenities. I noticed the same thing when I flew China Airlines from Hong Kong to Guam (versus the Continental flight I took from Guam to Hong Kong). Anyone have any idea why that is?

$$$

m3urthy

Why don't you have a seat right over there.

I've always wondered the same thing.

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
I bet your flight on Etihad and China Airlines cost probably twice what the flight cost on Continental. They give you bigger seats, better service and an overall better flying experience.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Anyone have any idea why that is?
Just a few guesses...

1) MUCH lower labor costs

2) Governments that are much less union-sympathetic

3) Clientele who are used to caste or class systems, where they are considered to be inherently better than the people serving them

4) Their employees don't share the same sense of entitlement that many American workers do

Probably a combination of these and other factors.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
I bet your flight on Etihad and China Airlines cost probably twice what the flight cost on Continental. They give you bigger seats, better service and an overall better flying experience.

I can't really say about the Etihad flight. That was government booked. As were the Emirates Airlines flights I took back to Guam in September and then back to Kuwait in January.

The China Airlines flight, though, I booked myself and it was actually considerably less expensive to fly the one-stop via Taiwan then to fly Continental's non-stop to Guam. I was looking for flights from Guam to Germany for my wife and found that Lufthansa (which I understand has similar amenities to the previously mentioned airlines) was less than the other alternatives on United or Continental. Maybe it's just that I'm in Guam so I'm in a bit of a better location to hop on one of the International carriers, but I think maybe the American airlines could learn something.

I mean, it's been a while since my business classes, but I'm pretty sure that the proper response to low sales is not usually to increase the price and then decrease the value of your product. I guess I forgot the final part of that equation for the American carriers. Raise prices, lower value, and then ask the government for billions in subsidies because for some reason you can't turn a profit.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Just a few guesses...

1) MUCH lower labor costs

2) Governments that are much less union-sympathetic

3) Clientele who are used to caste or class systems, where they are considered to be inherently better than the people serving them

4) Their employees don't share the same sense of entitlement that many American workers do

Probably a combination of these and other factors.

I think you nailed it.