• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AirAsia QZ8501

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Sadly, it appears we've lost another airliner.

AirAsia QZ8501 with 162 on board is missing
http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/27/world/asia/airasia-missing-plane/index.html

Hopefully the salvage/recovery goes a little better this time.
I have no experience in the ITCZ, so, for those of you who do:
Is there a point where you decide the weather is just too bad to go during monsoon season or do you just go and trust equipment and ability to adjust?

Pickle

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No experience in the ITCZ, but in the case of airline ops in general, the company will give you the best route possible, extra gas and time provided to make it happen. I have never heard of anyone having to refuse a launch because of enroute weather in a USA airline operation. Get as much gas as you can, a couple good diverts, and take a look. Deviate as necessary or divert and get more gas for another route. Of course terminal weather for take off and landing is another thing. Lots of times I have delayed take off for weather, either at the gate or holding short watching the sky, or diverted in lieu of landing. One time at DFW they cleared us for take off. We had lots of doubt. Lined up, took a look at the radar and said no thanks. Controller just left us there with dozens of planes in line to go and told us to let him know when we thought it was good enough. No pressure, no hassle. Everyone waited on our judgment.

Last edited: